Which speakers would you choose, Martin Logan or Motion?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Audio73, Jul 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audio73

Audio73 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently have SVS Prime towers and use it along with a Prime Center for home theater and 2CH listening in the family room. I plan on getting new speakers to use in a different area of the house like the formal living area for 2CH primarily vinyl listening.
    Today I went to audition the Martin Logan ESL, Motion 40i and I like the ESL better. Listening to music it felt like the instruments were in the air around me and the clarity was night and day compared to the Motion 40i. My Prime towers sound so much clear compared to the 40i. The ESl however has a much better midrange compared to my Primes.
    Anyhow my question is an ESL speaker too much speaker for only vinyl listening?

2. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

3. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I would say an ESL was born to play with vinyl...

Audio73 likes this.
  4. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Reading the OP's question I cannot even understand why he is asking the question. He liked the MLs but not the Motions.
    Buy the MLs.

Tim 2 and Funky54 like this.
  5. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Aren’t they both Martin Logan?

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  6. Audio73

I didnt ask what's better between the 40i and esl. I know by saying I like the esl I already made up my mind. My question was if esl was too much speaker for only vinyl use. It's not cheap and most people use it for 2ch and HT I guess. I plan on just using it for 2ch.

7. Audio73

Yes both are.

Fruff76 likes this.
  8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

What difference does it make how many sources you have? Speakers are speakers, buy the ones you like and be done with it.

timind, Chilli and Audio73 like this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I had Martin Logans in a listening room at work for over a decade. Yes they are very clear and transparent and "light." Yes they are very picky for positioning. Yes you can use them for stereo; I'm pretty sure the vast majority of ML are used stereo and not 5.1.

Audio73 likes this.
  10. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Plenty of people use much more expensive speakers for 2ch only. Whether you can afford the entry ticket is something only you can answer.
    If you can then sit back and enjoy.

Audio73 likes this.
  11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Have you listened to either with vinyl?

There’s no such thing as a speaker that is “too much” for vinyl - or digital. What, exactly, do you mean by “too much?”

MGW likes this.
  12. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I heard a demo at Magnolia quite a few years ago. I remember thinking even the top of the line Motions were underwhelming and the entry level ESL model was better, but not by much. That said, I wasn't really moved by any of them until I got way up into the 10k + range and things started sounding better.

Out of curiosity... are their speakers made in the USA?

13. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Yes...Lawrence, KS.

beowulf likes this.
  14. Audio73

By too much I'm referring to the size, cost. I figure most people don't spend much on speakers for vinyl but I'm sure I'm wrong.

15. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

You couldn't be more wrong. The source does not make a difference, people into music spend money on speakers to get the best reproduction of sound from their audio software - regardless of the format their music exists on.

Audio73 likes this.
  16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Some of them are - the very expensive ones. Most are made in China.

beowulf likes this.
  17. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

If the difference is night and day, I would opt for the ESL. If you choose the 40i you'd kick yourself in the butt after awhile because they aren't as good. Price shouldn't be the deciding factor, pick the speakers you like because they will last for years.

I have the Motion 60XT and I like them a lot, and I considered the 40's for about 5 seconds.

Audio73 likes this.
  18. JonCr

JonCr Well-Known Member

I’m curious, how do you like the prime towers and center for HT use?

Audio73 likes this.
  19. Audio73

Love it!

20. Audio73

To my ears and this is just me and my opinion but the esl shines, right behind them the SVS Prime towers. The 40i to my ears sounded dull.
    This is just comparing the ML, SVS of course.
    I did hear the B&W 700 s2 series and it sounded better then my primes and 40i but not ar good as the Esl.

21. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

Until you get in to the Classic Series and higher, ML's electro stats are made in China.
    The Classics and higher are made in Canada at the Paradigm factory. I don't know about Motion

beowulf likes this.
  22. Audio73

How about the ML Theos? It's a 2010 model.

23. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

No idea other than their current lineup

Audio73 likes this.
  24. JonCr

JonCr Well-Known Member

how would you describe them? Is the center good for dialog? I like that the center is 3 way. These towers and center are on my list, but they are not well liked on the AVS Forum, so I’m not sure what to think about them.

25. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Some people spend more on their cartridge than their car. Buy the best speakers you can afford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.