Which Star Wars Complete Saga BR to buy?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BrewCrew82, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member Thread Starter

I want to buy the first six Star Wars on blu-ray.

I've searched online and on this forum and wanted to see if I could get more information.

I am looking at The Complete Saga releases...
    It looks like there is a release in 2011 and 2015. From what I've found it looks like they are identical other than the packaging?

Does anyone know the information on the surround sound audio?

Also, there are a bunch of the 2015 releases on eBay for a good price, but it seems they are import, all-region disks. Does that matter? It says they should play in all BR players, but not in a gaming console. One of the reviews also said that he thinks his was a fake. I'm trying to be cheap and $40 for the set sounds better than $80 for this SW rookie :)

Any information is appreciated.

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Neither until they release the unaltered original trilogy.

(Sorry for the snark, but I'm personally boycotting the home video releases until they release the original theatrical versions.)

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Beat me to it. :agree:

4. BrewCrew82

Well I'm ready with my flame suit, but I'm a Star Wars newbie. My kids and I watched the newest one last week and they loved it, so I am interested in exploring the older ones with them. I've never really seen the old ones in their entirety so the tweaked versions would be fine for me right now.

But..........I really want the best audio and video quality currently available.

I guess it boils down to me wanting to buy the $40 version off eBay, but not knowing if those are legit copies or not.

5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Grab these editions if you want the original theatrical versions. (Yes, they're letterboxed but any port in a storm, that's what I say.)

[​IMG]

6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Your initial thoughts were correct - both blu-ray sets are identical except for the packaging. I personally prefer the book style digi-pak of the original 2011 release as opposed to the all encompassing plastic case of the 2015. But yeah, same exact content.

scobb and BrewCrew82 like this.
  7. BrewCrew82

What about the two trilogies released in 2013....same audio/video source material as the complete saga sets?

8. Thievius

I'm not 100% on the trilogy sets, but I believe the content is the same except they lack the 3 bonus discs of supplementary material. I think they include the films on dvd, if that means anything to you.

9. BrewCrew82

Thank you.

From what I've gathered, it seems the 2011 and 2015 compete saga's and the 2013 trilogy releases will have the best currently available audio/video. Although, the complete saga releases will have more bonus material. Other difference is that the two complete saga versions have different packaging.

The discounted complete saga's available on eBay are just a different region Blu-Ray.

If I want to get the original theatrical versions of the original three, I need to buy them on DVD.

10. Thievius

Yes, but you need those very specific limited edition DVDs someone posted a picture of earlier. But even those are flawed as they are letterboxed. And... they're a bit over priced. I don't personally recommend them. Someday they'll come to blu-ray.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The 2011 release, separate 2013 trilogy releases and the 2015 release all have the exact same audio and video quality. Buy the $40 one on EBay if you can confirm that it's not a knock-off. If you buy it and it turns out to be a knock-off, you can return it and file a complaint.

BrewCrew82 likes this.
  12. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Harmy's Despecialized Edition is unofficial, but it is currently the best quality available for the original unaltered trilogy. The quality is actually better than the Blu-rays, in my opinion.

14. I've been patient—perhaps too much so—with the alterations to the original trilogy. Some of them have been fine (clean-ups of dated FX, the open backdrops of Cloud City, removal of the Ewok song), and some have been inexcusable (Han/Greedo shootout, removing Sebastian Shaw from the final scene). I will continue to enjoy my moderately altered DVDs from 2004, but I can't abide by changing the emotional climax to Return of the Jedi to make it mirror the awkward "Nooooo!" of Revenge of the Sith, which nearly sank the entire film. After seeing the new changes , my 7-year-old son commented on its silliness and lack of emotional power. It is so utterly disappointing, and it makes me so glad that these films are now in the hands of (hopefully) responsible curators. It's worth it to find the 2004 DVDs; they're probably cheaper than the Blurays. At least your kids will see a dignified, thoughtful ending to the original trilogy, which they deserve. It will be a great day for Star Wars fans everywhere when Disney finally cashes in on an "unaltered" films release.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yup. If you don't mind downloading m4a files and playing back via hard drive, seek out OriginalTrilogy and the Harmy Despecialized.

If you'd prefer to stick with disc, buy either Blu-ray set as cheap as it gets.

Encuentro likes this.
  16. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I'd say, wait unti Spring 2017 that marks the 40 Anniversary of Star Wars. Sure theyhave something new and better in mind,and 'though Star Wars (Episode IV) belongs to Fox in perpetuity, sure they and Disney will arrange something if money is there to be made,and we all know there is and plenty of it.

Vidiot and Bill Why Man like this.
  17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah it would also tie in nicely with a Rogue One home video release. "Hey, want to see what happens next in the saga? Buy this new box set of the original trilogy!"

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  18. EddieVanHalen

Makes all the sense in the world.

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

So it probably won't happen.

supermd, Plan9 and EddieVanHalen like this.
  20. EddieVanHalen

I swear I don't know how and under what logic the big studios execs take the marketing decisions.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One major issue is that Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm really hates Fox (and vice-versa), so it's hard to get them to sit down at a big table and agree to anything. But one hopes smarter (and greedier) minds will prevail and they'll do whatever it takes to restore all the original theatrical versions in 4K and re-release them. I'd vote for one boxed set that has the original theatrical versions with the original mixes, and then the final Lucas-approved re-VFX'd/re-edited/remixed versions. Watch whichever ones you prefer.

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

You don't buy the best BR edition of the first three films, son! Ya download 'em! :righton::ignore::angel:

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have the 2011 box set, and it is really cool. The 3 bonus discs are definitely worth owning.

I am not a super hardcore fan, so the changes don't bother me. I don't even know what most of the changes are. If they do ever release the theatrical versions, I will buy them to see what all the hype is about.

BrewCrew82 likes this.
  24. BrewCrew82

I'm working on getting the original three, but I think I'm just planning on buying the 2015 box set anyways. Now....to buy right away and watch while the kids are pumped about it...or wait for Christmas for them.

:)

BTW...thanks for all the help folks! :righton:

Encuentro, CrazyCatz and The Hud like this.
  25. EddieVanHalen

Don't you really think the 4K scanning and restoring job has been done already for the Original Trilogy? My bet is it's been done and they are still thinking how to get the higher profit out of it. The answer is very simple, a box with the three original films and the original 77/80/83 posters as front covers, nothing fancy in today's fashion, just give us everything original, both movies and artwork in a minimalistic or timeless way and it will sell itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.