Which subwoofer would you buy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mooserfan, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Both $700.

1) Brand new SVS SB 2000. Direct from SVS, 5 year warranty.

2) Used Velodyne Optimum 10. Ten years old. 45 day money back, quality audiophile dealer.

Thoughts?

Running Polk SDA 2’s as fronts.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

3. Orrin Porter Rockwell

Orrin Porter Rockwell Well-Known Member

I'd recommend buying the SVS. Excellent product for great price. For one thing, I understand that Velodyne is no longer in the subwoofer business so future parts and service availability would be compromised on a 10 yr. old model.

Not that I have anything against Velodyne. I presently own a ULD-15 II (a big heavy kick-butt servo sub) that's been in my HT system for probably fifteen years and a Mini-Vee that's about eight years old and have never had any problems with either. If either were to fail and I couldn't get them repaired I'd probably go for either an SVS or a Rhythmic.

SandAndGlass, bru87tr and Mooserfan like this.
  4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

If you upgraded your integrated to one with high current capabilites in order to properly drive the SDA's you would not need a subwoofer.

That said, with your current integrated and for a 2 channel rig get the Velodyne as it offers speaker level inputs and more fine tuning options.

5. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. That Optimum 10 has a cool equalizer built in...F1nut, I’ll update my recent thread on the amp.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

SVS. Great products, great prices, great support. They pay shipping both ways if you want to return it. But you won't.

Myke Reid, bru87tr and Vinny123 like this.
  7. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Martin Logan 1000W, $700 new. 12" down firing driver, wireless.

8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I’ve had both and it’s not close. SVS!

10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Gotta go SVS too.... both good but my experiences with the SVS-2000 have been good... way ahead of the 1000 series IMHO.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

SVS sound awesome in my room. Incredible price tag. They're by far the least expensive speakers in my system and don't sound out of place at all.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I bought my SVS in 2003, owned a couple other brands before it.

2018 and still rocks hard and makes my jaw drop. Never felt the need to upgrade it.

13. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Love my SVS. My only regret is that i went without a sub for so many years, should have gotten it earlier. The SVS is great.

bru87tr likes this.
  14. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Absolutely SVS, but not one, TWO!:yikes:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ah, the Stereo Dimensional Array! Solving a problem that doesn't exist, but lovely speakers with a nice clear sound IIRC.
    As for the sub, a larger more powerful new vs. 10 years old? No contest, the SVS.
    BUT, your amp has no provision to allow you to highpass the main amp & speakers. This means the sub can add more oomph, but if your PMA-360 (not PMA-60?) &/or Polks get overloaded by low bass (or even just strained*) that condition will continue. You would need to switch to a different amp to really get the maximum benefit.

WHY do you want to add a sub? What exactly is happening or not happening? Because it IS possible a more powerful and/or different amp might get you what you want.

*and if they're not getting strained, you don't need a sub, right? ;)

Mooserfan likes this.
  16. jologskyblues

jologskyblues Active Member

SVS. Integrates beautifully with my stereo hifi.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I'd definitely go SVS here.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

For another $100, you could get TWO new SVS SB12-NSD subwoofers. SVS is currently offering the SB12-NSD for $399 each.

SB12-NSD

19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Neither. A Definitive in that price range.

20. I have always fancied trying a Sub, but i have no idea how to connect one to my rig. Is it easy? Sorry to spoil the thread

21. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Depends. Most subs can take low level or speaker level. Low level would connect to a volume-controlled low level output on your preamp or receiver. Speaker Level (high level) would connect between your amp (or receiver) and the speakers. Then you set the volume level on the sub in comparison to what's coming out of the speakers.

(That's the major points of setting up a sub. There are other adjustments such as cutoff frequency, phase, etc.)

22. The Pinhead

It's like a drug; once you try it, you'll never want to listen to music without one, esp records with weak mixed-in bass. I bought a pair of floorstanders and the store owner kindly offered to demo a sub for me. I told him the floorstanders had broke me but he proceeded. The sound of the drums and bass track he was using got tattoed on my cerebral cortex and for the next year I saved like a hermit and popped by the store (a brick and mortar shop that was and still is my one-stop for all things audio, run by and affable old audio technician who also performs my every repair) and bought the damned thing; I've never looked back.

23. I think i fancy this drug. The only thing i dont get is the connection. My amp has a L and R pre amp out and the SVS also has a L and R input. Does that mean i need 2 cables to run from amp to speaker.? I just cant ge my head around it. Stupid i know. Be kind

24. The Pinhead

You don't need two pair of cables that way, but you will have to Y(duplicate) the connections between the amp and preamp with a signal splitter and signal cables to be able to send the signal from the preamp to both the amp and sub. Or you could always opt for using speaker cable to your sub (if the sub has speaker-level connections) and a second pair of speaker cables from the speakers B output of you amp to the speakers (provided your amp has speakers B).

It's complicated at the beginning, but the rewards are immense.

25. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

@Mooserfan I'm not sure if you've purchased anything yet, but SVS has the SB12-NSD available and on sale for $400 right now. You could buy two for only $100 more than one SB2000. It's a discontinued model and sits somewhere between the 1000 and 2000. SB12-NSD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.