Which TT would you choose? An Avid Diva II, Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 or a Michell Gyro SE?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Although I only have a RB600 rather than the RB700 I'm pretty sure there's minimal difference and I'd definitely choose the Techno Arm over the standard Rega, good arm that it is. Can you buy the Moth version of the RB1000 in the States, that may be within your budget as well.

2. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

That looks intriguing and I am sure it sounds good. However, I think that I am already pushing the WAF to max with the TT alone. A massive tangential tracker will get me and the vinyl tossed out to the curb!

3. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

That was something I was trying to figure out: is the Tecnoarm, based on an older Rega arm better than a brand new RB700.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Although it is based on the budget RB250 the Techno Arm bears little resemblance to the standard Rega, it's refinished, (bead blasted), the headshell is improved for better cartridge fitting, internally damped, drilled, rewired with unbroken silver wire, has a new metal end stub, new low slung counter weight and VTA adjustment. I think that covers everything.

I think Michell were the first company who actually went to Rega for the correct jigs and training to rebuild Rega arms properly, other companies who modify them don't have the same levels of training, or often skill.

I haven't directly compared a Michell to a RB700, but have directly compared it to the RB600, the 700's predecessor and think the Michell is best, others may have the opposite opinion, either arm is excellent.

5. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Thanks for the great information!

6. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I'd find a clean used SME 309, which you should be able to find for under $1000. It's a sleeper arm, features removable headshells and you can easily upgrade the tonearm cable.

Also, much easier to set up and dial in VTA, etc than the Rega or Michell arm.

7. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Thanks Jeff! I will definitely look into this arm.

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It is a bit strange getting the platter started at first with the Nottingham turntables (they do get up to speed quickly). I had a chance to hear a Spacedeck recently and loved it. Very musical and detailed; probably more similar to the Rega style of sound.

9. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I did just this. Thanks for the advice! I should have the whole thing set up in 6 weeks or so when I get a family-free weekend to work on it. That is going to be a long wait!

This will be an upgrade from a stock MMF-7. The SME-309 retails for almost twice the base cost of the MMF-7. Adding in the Gyro SE, I am expecting great things!

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think you are in for a treat though you may end up playing every record you own to hear how much better they sound, enjoy.:righton:

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I would go with the one that has the best build quality and the company that gives the best customer service and is financially stable to some degree. Also, the best upgrade path...

12. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

My big fear is that I feel the need to re-do the 175+ needledrops that I've completed over the last few years. That would really be disheartening!

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well I guess you are going to want to hear those records on the new deck so can't you needledrop them again at the same time?

14. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

It is the editing and post-production that takes the time. I probably spent 40 hours or more just on the Blue Box.

We'll see how the new rig sounds. At $4500 new retail, it should be a revelation.

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

As I discovered on a previous thread I'm in the minority in just recording my records and being happy at that, though once you've recorded them you can just take your time in editing the results.

16. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

I never gave an update to this thread, but I didn't go with any of these turntables. I got a Pro-Ject RM 10.1 instead.

17. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

That's it? No review? No impressions or comparisons to your old rig? Give us voyeurs something to work with!

The 10.1 was way up on my list of dream machines. Had it not been for the screaming deal on the Michelle, I probably would have gone that way too. As for now, I am happy with the current combo:

Michelle Gyro SE MkII
    SME 309
    Dynavector XX-2

Surface noise was the first major improvement that I noticed. It was simply gone or drastically reduced. Imaging was the next thing I noticed. There was just more 'there' there. It isn't subtle. (for the cost of this rig, nothing should be subtle). Since all of these components are new to me and the were installed together, I have absolutely no idea which component is contributing most to what audio characteristic. All I can say is that the rig makes great music and I can't imagine the need to upgrade anything!

18. Welcome to the club. Dont think there're too many RPM10 owners hanging around here.

19. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Gyro. Sounds great and looks are to die for.

20. 3db

3db New Member

Congrats :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.