Which turntable? Rega P8, P10, ..or?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EggBreakfast, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EggBreakfast

EggBreakfast Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm currently using a Project Carbon Debut and a Hana SL cartridge with the following components:
    Project Phono Box RS w/PSU
    Schiit Freya+ pre-amp
    Adcom GFA 5500 amp
    Linn 5141 towers

I listen to a lot of 70's rock/pop, reggae, and jazz. I like bass. The Hana SL is great and I want to keep it.

I can just barely afford the Rega P10 without cart at about $5500.

Recommendations? Linn, VPI, Rega P8, other?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I love the VPI Prime, and the Linn LP12 has a great sound to it as well. At this price point you're almost certain to enjoy what you buy. Do you have local dealers where you can demo some turntables?

displayname and EggBreakfast like this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Most anything near the 2K and up class will be a sweet jump for you!

4. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Not even 2K and up, even the Rega Planar 1 sounds better than the Debut Carbon. This upgrade will certainly make a dramatic difference in his system.

EggBreakfast likes this.
  5. EggBreakfast

Thank you. Visiting the local dealers may be the best option, but the covid thing... Hmm.

6. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I went from a Debut Carbon to a Rega P8 with Apheta 3 cartridge. I also got the matching Aria phono stage. A massive upgrade from the Debut Carbon in every respect, but one you would expect given the price difference.

7. EggBreakfast

Good to hear. The P8 is probably my #2 choice at this point. Thank you!

PhxJohn and xfilian like this.
  8. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Wear a mask, sanitize before and after entering and don't touch your face till you get home and wash your hands thoroughly. Should be just fine.

9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The P8 and P10 are both fantastic choices in that price range.

VPI also has the "new" Prime21 coming out in the next month.

sam snead and EggBreakfast like this.
  10. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

The P8 is a pretty good table, but the arm is it's weak point imho. Jumping to the P10 you get a far better arm (as well as 1 or 2 other nice things). The arm difference is quite substantial and worth the jump.

Having said that, as others have said at that budget (new or used) you could easily find a number of very good performing tables.

EggBreakfast likes this.
  11. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

What's your #1 choice then, and why? You may already have your decision. All of the turntables on your list (and their stock tonearms) are excellent choices, and you can't go wrong with any of them. But unless you personally audition them, you're never going to find out which one of them feels fiddly to you. You have to audition in order to find out which on/off switch feels best, which power supply (its size and form factor) works best in your setup, which tonearm feels most secure to you when cueing, which cueing system feels most controllable to you, which counterweight/VTF adjustment systems can be confidently handled, and so on. A turntable that you can wrap your arms around (in a manner of speaking) is a turntable that you'll look forward to using. Technically, each of the turntables on your list is a great choice, but the personal usability for you is another matter.

Auditions in the time of COVID-19 are perfectly safe as long as your dealer is conducting business carefully and keeping his premises well aired-out and clean. Even if the place isn't perfect, arranging for a private audition appointment (you're planning on spending a lot of money, after all), wearing a mask, the shop owner wearing a mask, his staff wearing masks, and keeping your hands to yourself (except when handling the turntables) is all reasonable. A bit of planning, a bit of insistent care, and you'll have your decision. As always, bring your own LPs to the audition(s).

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

I’d at the Michell Gyrodec SE and Gem Dandy Polytable Super12 to your list of contenders.

GyroSE, MGW, Cyclone Ranger and 2 others like this.
  13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Since you already own a Pro-ject Debut Carbon, don't forget to go much higher up in the Pro-ject line. The Pro-ject RPM 10.1 Evolution is a superb turntable and fits into your budget. The excellent motor, superb carbon fiber Evolution tonearm, speed stability, excellent resonance damping, and wonderfully musical performance is right up there with or better than the P8, Linn LP12 Majik, and VPI Prime. The Linn LP12 Majik with its stock lower-end Pro-ject tonearm is a good and reasonable choice, but the tonearm is not up to the standard of the other stock tonearm's on your list. Add the extra expense for a Linn Akito tonearm right out of the gate to put the Majik into fair competitive territory while also noting that unless you're prepard to fiddle with the belt to change speeds (a royal PITA), you're stuck with 33 1/3 unless you also spend money on a Linn power supply upgrade right out of the gate. Linn really hasn't helped itself by keeping the same, single-speed internal power supply in the Majik and going with a very average Pro-ject tonearm on the Majik.

EggBreakfast likes this.
  14. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

These are all valid criticisms of the Linn LP12. On the other hand, the OP could get a seriously kick-ass used LP12 in his price range.

15. EggBreakfast

Rega P10 for what I've read about the tonearm construction, and the advanced materials including the belt. I don't know if all that fancy engineering really translates into better sound, but I like that Rega is driven in that regard. Plus, I'll be honest, I really dig the design and look of the P10.

popol_vuh and displayname like this.
  16. EggBreakfast

Excellent points. Thank you.

17. EggBreakfast

In "her" price range, not that it's the least germane. [ wink ]

18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

You should be able to pick up a new Rega RP8 without cartridge for $2k still.

EggBreakfast likes this.
  19. GKH

GKH Senior Member

George just introduced his new PolyTable 'Signature' Turntable. I saw it at his shop a couple of weeks ago. I think it replaces the 'Super 12'. Begins at $3,000. Check out the link below...
    PolyTable Signature .

displayname, Helom and EggBreakfast like this.
  20. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Yikes. Gotta watch my pronouns.

displayname likes this.
  21. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think the Rega P10 is one of the best turntables available today. The RB3000 tonearm is absolutely superb. Your Hana SL cartridge will work perfectly and sound better than ever. Stepping up into a P10 also means your excellent Pro-ject Phono Box RS will get a much better work out. Your old Pro-ject Debut Carbon is a perfectly decent turntable, but its tonearm and the deck itself are not letting the Hana SL do its best.

22. EggBreakfast

Thank you : )

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd get the P10 from that list without hesitation, it will be a revelation, but further down the road save up and get a better phono stage and be even more impressed by what the P10 is capable of.

EggBreakfast likes this.
  24. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think @EggBreakfast has the Pro-ject Phono Box RS with its matching outboard Power Box RS Li-Po battery power supply. If that’s the case it’s a really good phono preamp. The two-box setup is not inexpensive, but I think it’s a very good design. I had one for almost eight months and it did really well despite being in some much pricier company. It handled some very highly regarded (and expensive - $2000+) cartridges quite well. Switch over to pure battery power and the already very low noise floor of the preamp drops out of sight. Very nice phono stage - a keeper, IMO.

EggBreakfast likes this.
  25. EggBreakfast

Yes, I have the Pro-ject Phono Box RS and it's matching Power Box RS battery system. Using XLR cables to the Freya+. It's a super quiet and nice system. Together, they were almost $2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.