Which TV show would you recommend from this list?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HaileyMcComet, Feb 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident Thread Starter

We have a VOD movie/TV system around here. Rather than explain how it works, let's say it's like Netflix. They recently added several American TV shows, none of which I have ever seen. I have no doubt many/most of this site's members know/love/hate/want to bury with fire some of these shows. If these shows were obscure, they would not be available here.

Some titles sound familiar to me and I have only heard good things, like Breaking Bad. Some seem to have mixed reviews, like the Big Bang Theory and House of Cards. Several are completely unknown to me - the Good Place, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and the cartoons.

Trying to predict what a stranger online might like could be difficult, but this is a poll to see what all of you like and/or would recommend.

If it helps, my favorite American TV shows are I Love Lucy, the Twilight Zone, MASH, the Mary Tyler Moore Show, the Carol Burnett Show, That Girl, the Dick Van Dyke Show, the Bob Newhart Show, Little House On the Prairie, Hill Street Blues, St Elsewhere, ER, Homicide: Life on the Street, the West Wing, Fame, various Star Treks, Soap, Futurama, Dr Shrinker, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Taxi - mostly because of Christopher Lloyd. I have no preference over comedy, drama, cartoon, realistic or ridiculous.

Platterpus likes this.
  2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Of this selection I could only vote for The Good Place as that's the only series here I really enjoyed.

carrick doone and HaileyMcComet like this.
  3. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Out of your list I can only recommend Breaking Bad. I've seen the entire series run. The rest are the first I've seen the titles to. Watched several episodes of The Big Bang Theory and didn't like it.

But I'll recommend off the list CBS's "Evil". In my opinion it's currently the smartest written and produced show on TV. That's about it.

JackBnimble and HaileyMcComet like this.
  4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

That 70s Show. Hilarious and a real feel good show. Every character is a hoot especially Red and Kitty.

5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I grew up in the 70s and thought this show was nothing but annoying and definitely not funny. Freaks and Geeks was actually a great show about the 70s.

a customer, timind and averica like this.
  6. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

[​IMG]

Sorry couldn't resist.

Actually think Freaks and Geeks is a pretty good show. Great cast who most went on to be big stars. Pretty rare. Love the episode when the counselor guy gives her the American Beauty album.

agentalbert, timind, altaeria and 5 others like this.
  7. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

It's 1980 in the very first show. :hide:

Karnak, Synthfreek, scobb and 3 others like this.
  8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well the best of the group you've listed is Breaking Bad, it's riveting entertainment. But based on your favorites I narrowed it down to The Good Place and Modern Family and voted for TGP. These are top quality shows that can sit along side of Dick Van Dyke and Bob Newhart.

Kyhl and HaileyMcComet like this.
  9. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Close enough for jazz...and me :shh:

10. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

Instead of making polls go and watch Breaking Bad! :p

mattdm11, Scope J and Laibach like this.
  11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The only series listed here that IMO maintained 'quality' writing/acting to end of it's run was Breaking Bad.
    I stumbled across The Good Place and tried Homeland but couldn't make it through even one episode.
    The other shows started strong, but had dramatic drop-offs in writing/casting in their later seasons.
    For a current sitcom, I'd recommend Letterkenny 0n HULU (in the U.S.) now in it's 8th season:

[​IMG]

Scope J, musicarus and HaileyMcComet like this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

BREAKING BAD
    One of the absolute best TV series of all time!
    Then watch the one-off film El Camino.
    Then watch Better Call Saul (equally awesome).

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There's too much Modern Family. Also, they're too privileged. Also, the characters are too broad.
    But, there's also a wealth of good slapstick, pacing, plotting and dialog there. It's like soup: a bowl will fill you up.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is just a big tub of silly. I keep waiting for it to overstay its' welcome, but it never seems to.
    It's like a snack I'm never in the mood for, but always glad I took a bite. The laughs are real.

That's an interesting collection of shows to choose from. Come back with a different list.

JackBnimble and HaileyMcComet like this.
  14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Since you mentioned liking Futurama, I would recommend Rick and Morty. Hilarious, imaginative sci-fi and not for kids.

15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

A couple shows on your list I have watched a few episodes but they did not click with me. There is a show called The Goldbergs not on your list which is a throwback to the 1980s so I kind of like it a little and can relate to it since I was a kid and went through most of my school years during that decade. Your list of shows from the 60s and 70s are of more interest to me since I like that period a lot and have watched many from that time down to every last episode.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one...this; That '70s Show...that's it.

17. HaileyMcComet

Are you saying the Good Place and Modern Family are as good as the Dick Van Dyke Show and the Bob Newhart Show? I just want to make sure because that's a tremendous compliment.

forthlin likes this.
  18. HaileyMcComet

Too late.

For the making polls part, that is. I have yet to watch any of these shows.

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  19. HaileyMcComet

That's an important point. If I'm going to watch a show, I would prefer it keep whatever level quality it has from beginning to end. There is little worse than spending weeks or months on a show and then it just goes down the toilet.

Lightworker likes this.
  20. HaileyMcComet

It's not up to me.

21. HaileyMcComet

Ironically, none of the shows from the list I've seen are available.

22. HaileyMcComet

I've also just realized I can't see the poll results unless I vote for something.

23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That's the one I voted for as well... I've seen bits and pieces of "The Big Bang Theory", but not enough to know if I'd recommend it or not... The rest of the shows I've never seen any of their episodes, although I've heard of most of them.

HaileyMcComet and Michael like this.
  24. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I think this is vastly superior to BB in pretty much every way.

25. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Tough to say because we have such different tastes. Of the list, Breaking Bad is one of the better most coherent shows ever aired. That doesn't mean you will like it.

There are a lot of comedies in your list. Isolating Star Treks and Futurama from the list, Big Bang seems like a reasonable suggestion. Sciency and mostly funny. Has character development.
    Plus you get to see Bob Newhart and Will Weaton (Wesley Crusher) again. Slumped a bit about 2/3s through but picked it back up for the last couple of seasons.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    HaileyMcComet and Hadean75 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.