DCC Archive Which version of "Love Me Do" is Ringo playing drums on? I forgot.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'm too lazy to go upstairs and consult you-know-who's massive book.

The way I understand it, the version on the LP and second pressing of the British 45 is the second version with Ringo, right? Who is playing tambourine?

I was always told that this common version with tambourine is Andy playing drums and Ringo on tambourine.

So, now I'm confused (and lazy).

The only ok sounding version is on the EP box, by the way....

;)

2. Angel

Angel New Member

Steven, we don't know the answer to the first part, sorry. But can you tell us why the "EP box" version is better than the "Singles Box" version?

Thanks!!

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Tambourine version - Andy on drums, Ringo on Tambourine. Please, Please me lp version.

No tambourine - Ringo version. Original (first press single). Also on Past Masters I.

4. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Al. I wonder why they chose the non-Ringo version to be the official one? A better performance? Probably...

Angel, to answer your question:

The "Beatles Singles CD Box" uses the mono LP tape copy of "Love Me Do". The mastering engineer made a "Mastering 101 No-No" by playing back a mono tape on a stereo machine and then combining the left and right channels, throwing the entire song out of phase. You can hear it, every time the reel turns one full turn on the tape machine, the sound dips down in the high end. No excuse for this kind of dip**** mastering.

The "Beatles EP Box" on the other hand, uses the mono EP copy tape made from the single master, so it is the same generation tape as used for the "Singles Box", but THIS mastering engineer chose the right (or left) channel ONLY and did his remastering, thereby saving the thing from that ****ty flanging sound of the "Singles Box" version. Of course, the mastering engineer forgot to EQ the song so it has some breath of life, but I can live with that, I guess.

Make sense? :)

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Al got it right. Also, I believe the master tape for the Ringo version is gone, and that the version on Past Masters came from a disc dub. The one on Rarities did as well, although it was a different dub.

I think I need a cheap copy of the EP box...

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Here's the deal:

- The Ringo version was cut September 4th. George Martin wasn't totally happy with the results, and told the boys to come back in a week.

- The Andy White version was cut the 11th, with Ringo playing tambourine. P.S. I Love You was also cut at this session.

- George Martin must not have thought the Andy White version was really that much better, as he used the Ringo version for the initial pressings of the single.

- Either through a reversal of decision or a mix-up, the Andy White version was used on the LP and all following versions of the single.

FWIW, I believe the Ringo version also was released as a single in Canada. Wonder if that copy tape still exists...

7. Steve Hoffman

Yes, the Canadian copy tape of the Ringo version of "Love Me Do" exists. Can't imagine why those goofballs didn't use it... :mad:

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

8. Angel

Angel New Member

Wow, that was fast.

Thanks, Steve for the info on which CD version sounds better. I understand why, but I don't understand how the greatest band ever could have the worst mastering ever. Does not compute.

Regarding the drumming on "Love Me Do", what Luke P. says makes sense. I guess the oft told story of Ringo going in to the Abbey Road studio for the first time and seeing another drummer there is an urban legend. He actually went in the studio a SECOND time. Most history books have this totally wrong, and I can see how it could be confusing.

9. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Actually its George Martin that always gets this wrong. Trust Mark Lewisohn, he's usually right.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Oh? How do you know that?

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, *usually* being the key word. In his book he said the stereo version of Money is a sync-up of two different mono mixes, which of course isn't true. He's also not clear on a lot of things, like that there was a reduction mix in Help, or how overdubs could be assigned new takes with stuff from AHDN or BFS. He's done a lot of great work, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be that up on certain recording techniques.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you saying the Rolling Stones are the greatest band ever?

:D

13. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I seem to remember discussions about that. That its possible that he was also rushed in getting the recording sessions research done. In comparison, his other work on the Beatles' activities is very complete.

Overall, a more reliable resource than George Martin's memory! Another GM gem - In his book on SPLHCB he made a claim that the first Beatles visit to Abbey Road studios was in March 62 not June! He made a big deal about this but its is easily proved false.

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Poor George Martin. Snif... :(

He still gets flack from Ringo at random "oh, you HAD to get Andy White, huh? I came drumsticks in and and you HAD to get Andy White..."

George has said he feels horrible about that decision.

15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I feel bad for Ringo's situation at that point but I can understand George's decision. They were an unknown band who got their first recording contract. Ringo was a new drummer... We're lucky he didn't decided to use session player for every instrument and just have them sing over it.

Todd

16. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, I think George Martin's decision was the right one.

Even though we don't like to admit it, a new band that sounds great live doesn't always do well in the studio initially. The important breakthrough hits usually did have session players on them: "Surfin' USA", "Mr. Tambourine Man", etc.

17. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

BTW, Steve, as you seem to know a good bit about the EP/Singles collection (I was under the impression that the stuff in the same phase as the official releases...i.e. the early mono Singles and EP material, not counting SLY) wer..WAS the same as the official releases, but..), why does the stereo MMT stuff sound a bit betteR?

-D

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The thing that always struck me odd is that Andy White's drumming is quite simple and not particularly different from Ringo's on that track. It seems like a lot of trouble to remake the track for such a subtle difference. Not like with the Beach Boys, where Hal Blaine was brought in to do things on drums that Denny would have been incapable of. At least Ringo got the last laugh... his version of Please Please Me indisputably smokes the Andy White version.

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I have a copy of the ORIGINAL Canadian "Love Me Do" single.

20. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Um, am I mistaken in the assumption that this wastes 6 dB of S/N ratio, as far as tape noise is concerned ?

Michael

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: Michael Beckmann ]

21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

According to the book "The Beatles On Capitol records" (part 1) by Bruce Spizer, somone at Capitol of Canada informed him that the Canadian single version of "Love Me Do" was mastered from an import Parlophone 45. If this is the case we had dip**** remastering as far back as 1963.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.