Which version of the Planet of the apes will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Hair and that little dvd box that is a marvel of efficiency. Take care, John M.

white wolf and alexpop like this.
  2. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Poll needs a choice for the live action TV series and the cartoon show.

Grand_Ennui and apesfan like this.
  3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I do not see how anyone could honestly think that.

While it was made in 1968, it does not portray anything from 1968. Everything is in a future that is not much closer than it was in 1968. The only thing that possibly dates it is Heston's use of the "Don't trust anyone over 30" line.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thinking more production values.

5. HippieDrill

HippieDrill Forum Resident

the original already has stood the test of time. the remake was decent but i don't think it did anything to distinguish itself from the legacy of the original.

blutiga likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The original Planet of the Apes is a classic while the latest trilogy is a solid series of prequel(s) that get us to the original. Would I like to see the 68' version remade and updated with modern CGI/Tech yes I would.

apesfan likes this.
  7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Oh yeah they go together well those movies, and Soylent Green...:Soylent Green is people" :eek::D

alexpop likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I’m surprised the vote is as close as it is... ;)

9. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Neither. Both versions will burn up in the apocalypse that leads to the real planet of the apes.

10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I never thought of that as a mistake....I thought the overlapping laughter was on purpose, too obvious to just leave I there when they couldve easily overdubbed, no?

ps of course the original - its far superior

apesfan likes this.
  11. alexpop

Nova ❤️

12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think the Clerks/Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back Planet of the Apes with Randal running and Jay cursing at the end will endure the longest.

Neil Anderson likes this.
  13. alexpop

Liked the extras.
    Apes audition:D

14. alexpop

Sorry no pic, don't want you to be envious. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  15. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I guess im just getting jaded as I get older. The laugh gaff never bothered me either but lately so many posts from many sites like to pick on the "Heston laugh" . There are many editing decisions in films and I find in bygone days moviegoers were not as picky and the overall story was the most important aspect not an out of sync laugh or a bad special effect or a slight editing miss cue.
    Today everything is so technical that a good story or storytelling comes secondary to many filmgoers. Even that is changing cause I find myself enjoying movies more than I did just a few years ago.
    Man, those lines of people at the drive ins when the "Go Ape" summer festivals were on in 1973-74 were a sight to behold. A Saturday in July '74 had my father check the length of cars and it was just short of a mile. Bayshore NY Sunrise highway drive in going north on Saxon ave ending on Spur drive so. My house was about half a mile from the last car. That was surreal and it never happened again but "Jaws" was a very close second. :agree:

John M. PS- I gave street names for my fellow Long Islanders to remember and verify.:cheers:

Jack Lord likes this.
  16. alexpop

Never had a problem with the laugh myself. Or Nova for that matter.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I started the thread because I keep seeing the latest releases (2000) DVDs in big lots. They are also easy to find in thrift stores and flea markets. I don't see the 1960's versions at flea markets thrift stores or places like Big Lots. One thing is certain. The audience loves the Apes stories.

18. I own both sagas, the old and the new and I only like the first movie with Charlton Heston of the old saga, I think it's an epic movie with a mindblowing ending. The rest of the movies are a hit or miss.
    The new saga doesn't get on the whole to the level of the first original movie from 1968 but as a story is more consistent.
    I've been trying to sell my 2009 BD set with the book for ages but nobody seems to be interested on it, yes, I know the locking system for the discs sucks but I think the best of the set is the book,which is a real book not a booklet, with hard cover, plenty of photographs with a great print quality (some are mate finished, some are glossy finished withing the same book) and plenty of information. I think I'll let it stay and wait, I think the book only will go high on price as time passes by. I still remember on the early 90's everybody was selling their Star Wars toys or dolls for dirty little money, I remember shops clearing all Star Wars toys for almost no money, now try to find those in good condition or factory sealed in their original boxes and they'll cost you an arm and a leg. I did big bussiness with Star Wars toys on the early 90's as I bought everything that got to my hands, I spent around 4000 $ on Star Wars toys on clearances, not even 10 years later the original Kenner toys and dolls I bought for almost nothing in the early 90's saw their price skyrocket. Some movie memorabilia can get really expensive with time.

white wolf likes this.
  19. alexpop

You don't see the head replica dvd extravaganza often mines, cost 75.00, put it in a plastic bag walking out the shop, I got a few odd little looks .
    ." what's that a severed head" sort thing. Guess for diehard fans only.:D

20. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Thats for sure. I have almost every size poster from window card to 6 sheet posters of all of the original 5 films. The original Planet 1967-technically - doubled to four times the auction sold prices since the new 3 film series were released. For instance my 1 sheet mint Planet was around $500 now about $2000. The 3 sheet mint was sold in 2009 for $780 and now a mint 3 sheet sold for $3700. I have 90% of all poster, lobby cards, b x w with titles from Planet to Battle.
    All were purchased back around 1974 and the Planet 3 sheet cost me $60, my parents almost cried when I told them. Later on they knew it was an investment. John M.

Kiko1974 and alexpop like this.
  21. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

They should accept that not everything began 5 minutes ago.

Grand_Ennui and apesfan like this.
  22. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

From any, if a person only uses their brain.

23. alexpop

I'm sure there's some young'uns that rate it.

Jack Lord likes this.
  24. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

The original first generation audience just hasn’t died off yet. Once they die off then we can see how much the originals actually stand the test of time.

Witchy Woman likes this.
  25. alexpop

I'd place Planet Of The Apes my favorite film that year and they're was some classics in 1968 a list of some I seen ( recall) ..real time.

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Barbarella
    Once Upon A Time In The West
    The Producers
    Will Penny
    Witchfinder General
    Rosemary's Baby
    Thomas Crown Affair
    Yellow Submarine
    Hang'Em High
    Targets
    Coogans Bluff