Which Yes Title Should Be The Next AF SACD Hybrid Tales From Topograhic Oceans Or Relayer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This is key. Plus, there's the question of whether or not those voting and contributing in this thread are representative of real buyers. Although some of the enthusiasm in this forum for Tales is certainly legitimate, try and extend that out to the general public. Are there really 5,000 people willing to pay upwards of $60 for the most esoteric title in the Yes catalog?

2. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Relayer, it will be a smaller dent in my wallet.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well...this would be an SACD. The SHM SACDs went for that much for just one SACD. Also, the mastering will be first rate if it is like CTTE. I know $60. is a lot of money but well worth it for a title that has never been given the audiophile treatment.

4. Say It Right

You're rationalizing that you want it, but not explaining how to convince several thousand other people to spend that much. Many of them are more casual buyers, who wouldn't be part of the SHM cult.

Also notice how the poll results have narrowed considerably since this morning. It's only the hardcore fans who want it.

5. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Relayer!

Rick A.

6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Tales. Even with all the flab, it's a better album. And long overdue for a quality release on disc.

7. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Tales. The 2003 Inglot remaster did it a little bit of justice, but it could have been a little more clearer and touched up a bit. The initial mild-cloudiness of Tales' could possibly due to Squire's claim that the then-new 24 track board where it was recorded kept breaking because it wasn't ready for prime time.

By Relayer, the kinks were worked out and resulted in better clarity. However, material-wise, it's not as strong as Tales.

Just my take. Feel free to correct or elaborate if I'm missing some details here.

8. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

I love both albums equally, but I think Relayer needs it more.

9. sjas1962

sjas1962 Forum Resident

I picked Relayer...but I want Tales as well!!

Regards,
    Steve

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It appears some people are voting with their pocket books.

I would like to know how many copies of CTTE that AF sold. I would think over 5ooo, but who knows.

I agree with some other posters that most AF/SH/Yes fans would buy both. Really, how many casual buyers even know who Audio Fidelity is?

I doubt that the price would be $60. Close to the Edge is going for around $20. on Amazon. The actual price might be closer to $45.00 for Tales. I don't think licensing Yes costs as much as Dylan titles.

So, for about the price of two AF titles we would get Tales.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

I voted Tales From Topographic Oceans.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

+1

13. John Egan

John Egan Active Member

Relayer is nuts. Out of control. One of the craziest albums ever recorded (by a professional group). I like Tales but I've never been carried away by it.

Ere likes this.
  14. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Put Tales on one SACD. I'm easily in for both, but don't need to pay double for the luxury of being able to import into iTunes.

15. Say It Right

Yeah, and a lot of people who posted for a chance at the free autographed copy of CTTE didn't buy one after they didn't win either.

We're all pretty sure that it exceeded the usual figure. It's similar to what happened with the Crosby, Stills & Nash, except that this time the demand was front-loaded.

You're making it sound as if there's a big crossover among AF, SH and Yes fans. Although there might be a correlation, some AF customers would probably buy whatever they put out. Then, some pick and choose. Even among Yes fans, this title is esoteric, as mentioned before. Hell, it's even controversial within the band - considering it contributed to one of Wakeman's several departures.

Although 90125 is not generally considered the band's "best," nobody can dispute it has wider appeal. It's not like the only people buying these discs are members of this forum.

The expression from yesterday was "upwards" of $60. That's what a 2 disc set would retail for at the AF site. For customers of Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc, it would be be listed similarly. Clearly, a lot of customers purchase through these channels. As you suggest, there plenty of others looking for the lowest price through Amazon Marketplace.

Somebody else would have to chime in as far as the relationship b/tw licensing costs and the ultimate retail pricing. It's not as if they'd suddenly alter their pricing structure for a 2 disc title with more limited appeal than Dylan's Gr. Hits Vol. II or Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life. Those might be the only 2-disc titles to have received the treatment. Somebody told me in a another thread, that there's a little sticker shock over the Dylan, just because of it being a 2 disc set.

You don't have to keep trying to oversell it. Truth be known, I'd probably still get it, if they did tackle the title, but just don't share your enthusiasm. Just trying to look at it from a practical perspective. among the wider market.

Think of other releases over the last few years. Gary Wright - Dream Weaver was from (roughly) the same era. It was a single disc. Not much discussion in threads, and it took a while for supplies to get scarce. (Yes, it's in my collection.) Remember, this was once a very popular album. OK, yeah, it wasn't guaranteed to fly off the shelves, like Phil Collins or didn't generate unique buzz, like Jane's Addiction, but you get the idea.

As far as the poll is concerned, it is interesting that the shift changed so dramatically. It'd appear that Tales fans jammed the poll to express their joy, but that was the extent of the support. Trying to extrapolate 39 fans into 5,000 potentials buyers might not be so easy.

16. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Tales for me, no question....

17. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Relayer.

I think it's the better album, and it requires Steve's magic touch more than Tales.

I bought Close To The Edge. I'd buy Relayer. I don't think I'd buy Tales. Not when I could purchase two other audiophile titles for the price of that one audiophile title. In fact, I'd prefer Drama over Tales.

Say It Right likes this.
  18. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

I want BOTH! "To Be Over" on SACD is like a wet dream for me, so for that reason I hope we get "Relayer" ASAP, but I've always found "Tales..." to be the Yes album most in need of tweaking. Also really excited to hear that "Going For The One" is "almost ready"...is this true?

19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

sorry did they already do "The Yes Album"?? I want that!!

20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Mobile Fidelity released a gold CD.

21. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I seem to recall there was a poll before GFTO was announced by AF. Didn't have much impact obviously, since GFTO wasn't even in the running.

22. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

23. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

didn't know that was out thanks

24. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I voted for Tales, but I'd actually prefer Foxtrot.

25. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.