Which Yes Title Should Be The Next AF SACD Hybrid Tales From Topograhic Oceans Or Relayer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

'Tales' was one of the very few albums which I like the 2003 better than the 1994 one.

The 1994 sounds simply awful. Muffled, congested. And the 2003 version has the nice original 'Reveal Science' intro :wave:

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Exactly. I never knew what I was missing until I heard the extended intro.

In my mind, AF or any audiophile label would be hard pressed to do Tales. I won't go into my reasons why.:D

3. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

TALES for sure. I love that record, think it's very underrated, and for my tastes it's twice as good as Relayer.

4. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Damn, this is a dead heat. Steve will have to remaster both.

webbcity, ponkine and Jerquee like this.
  5. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

This seems to be the only solution.

ponkine likes this.
  6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I'm here to help. Gorts, lock it up!

:D

7. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Both of them.

8. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Relayer. A great TfTO CD mastering already exists -- the Japanese HDCD (decoded).

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Between those two, Relayer.

But I'd rather see something like Big Generator or Talk that could really use some attention and hasn't been issued and re-issued a dozen times already.

10. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

...of "The Yes Album."

And it (a) wasn't an SACD and (b) made my ears hurt.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Tales From Topographic Oceans

:love:

12. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

I can't decide. :shrug:

I absolutely love Relayer and would of course be very interested in what SH would make of it.
    Then again, Zal's original Atlantic mastering really is excellent, so maybe rather a remaster of Tales, to possibly breathe some new life into this meandering mammoth?

Hm. Any or both is all I can come up with...

13. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

As far as redbook goes...I always really liked the original Atlantic Tales from the late 80s...and still do. Very smooth and nicely detailed without overhype. In fact, I always thought this was the best sounding original Yes CD. Zal's Relayer isn't shabby either. I guess I would vote for it, though.

14. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Me too. I guess my reserve towards Tales is based on ... well, the music. It tends to "drift out of range" when I listen to it, if you know what I mean...

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

wise words :agree:

16. onlyshallow

onlyshallow Active Member

I voted for Relayer, as it's tied with Going for the One as my favorite Yes. There's some fantastic material on Tales, but I don't listen to it nearly often enough to justify a $60 upgrade. Between my vinyl, original 80s CD and Rhino, I'm set.

It's probably never going to happen, but I'd love to hear Steve or someone else do a remix of Time and a Word minus the orchestra. I love that album dearly, but it's a mess.

17. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I was responding to post #44 when I typed that.

18. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

Relayer, without question

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

But this one is hard to impossible to find, at least at decent prices.

And it doesn't have the 'Revealing' original intro

:shake:

20. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Personally I'd love to see both albums done. Love them both!

Big Generator would certainly benefit from Steve's magic touch. I would also gladly rebuy 90125 if an SACD hybrid was done. Talk on the other hand at best would only benefit from an standard redbook CD remastering since I believe it was recorded digitally in Pro Tools at 16/44 or so. Even then the original CD for Talk sounds absolutely fantastic. I can't imagine Steve being able to improve upon it very much.

21. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

Are you sure Talk was only recorded at 16/44.1? There was 20 bit recording technology being used in '93. If Rabin was using what would have then been the cutting edge of digital then I doubt the album tracks were only 16/44.1.

If it turns out that Talk was recorded and mixed to 20bit/44.1khz/48khz or even just 16/48, I think that an AF SACD remaster would absolutely be justified. The original cd was an early loudness wars victim that could be bettered by a proper remastering that doesn't use any digital limiting and or dynamic range compression.

22. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Here's the Dynamic Range that's from my CD copy (Victory 1994 USA pressing)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: C:\Yes\Talk\
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR7 -0.08 dB -9.69 dB 01 - The Calling.wav
    DR9 -0.08 dB -12.95 dB 02 - I Am Waiting.wav
    DR8 -0.08 dB -11.81 dB 03 - Real Love.wav
    DR7 -0.03 dB -8.93 dB 04 - State of Play.wav
    DR7 over -9.88 dB 05 - Walls.wav
    DR13 -0.18 dB -15.91 dB 06 - Where Will You Be.wav
    DR9 -0.11 dB -10.95 dB 07 - Endless Dream; Silent Spring.wav
    DR8 -0.08 dB -12.20 dB 08 - The Endless Dream; Talk.wav
    DR12 -4.77 dB -19.67 dB 09 - Endless Dream; Endless Dream.wav

Number of files: 9
    Official DR value: DR9

I never even realized the dynamic range issue on this album as it always sounded "good" to my ears. So perhaps you are right that Talk would benefit from some of Steve's magic after all.

http://nfte.org/interviews/tr_tm_home_recording.html

That article briefly touches upon Rabin's equipment. I always presumed that Rabin recorded the album at 16/44.1 since that was industry standard around the time. Of course now that you mention it there was 20-Bit recording around the time so it could have been possible Rabin went with that route.

.... maybe the vinyl release for Talk might be a little less compress/limited perhaps?

23. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Long time fan here. These are Yes' most ambitious works, full of beauty but not for the faint of heart. I believe there is more buried in the Tales music, for example Squire's bass. Relayer was recorded in Chris' home studio and has that dry sound and the vocals sound like they need to be boosted a bit.

I voted for both since you can't get enough of a good thing.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I voted for Relayer. Honestly, I find Tales to be tedious, though there are some nice moments. I'd take Drama before Tales any day. :shh:

onlyshallow likes this.
  25. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

Same here. Drama is a great album. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.