Which Zappa are you currently spinning?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WalterDigsTunes, Mar 25, 2014.

1. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

Not currently but the last thing I listened to last night was Ensemble Ambrosius' The Zappa Album. A baroque ensemble from Finland that plays contemporary music on baroque instruments. They released this album back in 2000. It's all good but the version of Inca Roads is brilliant.

Jeff W. Richman and SteevG like this.
  2. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Just Another Band From L.A.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  3. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Road Tapes #2 - killer guitar solo on Big Swifty! :edthumbs:

Doggiedogma and Mr. H like this.
  4. KLeigh88

KLeigh88 Well-Known Member

5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I don't get Zappa. I wish I did, because many of my friends are really into him and tell me I'm missing a great musician. For some reason, I thought he made comedy or mock rock tunes. Where would I even start?

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Absolutely Free

7. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Joe's Garage

Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

The only one I can bother with: Hot Rats. If only he'd done more albums like this.

9. Maybe you have never listened to "The Grand Wazoo". A majestic piece of work in my opinion (along with "Hot Rats", of course, but these albums are very different since they focus on different aspects of FZ's musicianship).

fishyboots and SquaRoots like this.
  10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Joe's Camouflage

Doggiedogma likes this.
  11. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

Oh yes, I'm very familiar with "The Grand Wazoo" and it's one of the better albums of his that I've heard; I can't claim to have heard them all. Fantastic musicianship, definitely. I haven't been able to appreciate the songs though since I was about 13. What I really like is the instrumental stuff from Zappa. I can appreciate what others see in the songs though, but they're not my cup of tea.

12. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

13. While I consider myself very knowledgeable about Zappa albums approved by himself, I barely know anything about his posthumous releases. This one is now in my wish list. Thank you for the information!

citizensmurf likes this.
  14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

15. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I've had that sitting around for ages but haven't gotten around to listening to it. Thanks for reminding me! :)

16. citizensmurf

No problem. I've found most of the posthumous Zappa releases to be of high quality. A lot of people complained about the lack of releases (for the first decade or so), but they only put out what they thought Frank would have released at some point. Imaginary Diseases is also very good, and depending on your tastes, Lumpy Money is the best one of all.

17. citizensmurf

I also just noticed I'm a bit more behind on the new releases than I thought. I picked up Road Tapes 2 at a recent ZPZ show, but other than that I haven't bought one since Hammersmith came out. They've really stepped up the release schedule the last couple years. Haven't bought any of the new remasters either, since I have all the '95 Rykodisc ones, but might someday.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  18. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Joe's Garage, it was my first Zappa album and the one I return to most often, despite the breadth of his catalog.

19. mrbooboy

mrbooboy Forum Resident

Thing-Fish.

Picked it up this week as I continue to work my way through his discography in chronological order.

Doggiedogma and SOONERFAN like this.
  20. First one up after work will be Sheik Yerbouti. Finished my Saturday listening with Apostrophe(').

Doggiedogma likes this.
  21. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Road Tapes, Venue #2

Doggiedogma likes this.
  22. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

1976-11-19

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Zappa In New York" in the car today!

24. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

The Dance Me This album, #100 in the official 'tache series ... or was I just dreaming? :confused:

Doggiedogma likes this.
  25. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

This one is getting some heavy rotation over here lately...

[​IMG]