Which Zappa are you currently spinning?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WalterDigsTunes, Mar 25, 2014.

1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Just get it.

You'll love it.

It's a way of life.

gkella and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Road Tapes, Venue #2

Zappa's solo on RDNZL is RDCLS!!

3. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Well not right now, but will be in a couple hrs after I get home...
    Picked up a NM Crusin With Ruben and the Jets today at lunch for 10.00!
    My old crackly copy has not been out in several years and the CD is just not the same.

4. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Zappa Live in Stockholm Sweden, Aug. 21, 1973

...so I had this streaming on the widescreen last night at full volume through the sound system and I couldn't stop grinning and loving every second.
    ...I would love, LOVE!! to have an official release either DVD or CD. Any chance of that happening?

BTW - Tom Fowler is one funky mofo on the bass and doesn't get a lot of mentions in the Zappa universe.

stewedandkeefed and Spadeygrove like this.
  5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

....not on disc, but I've been lovin' this mix. the "Son of Mr. Green Genes" from Paris in '68 is KILLER! I need more!!

Shipped_It likes this.
  6. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

You just put me in a bowl and smoked me. I love FZ but Keneally's music speaks to me on a glandular level. I wish I had "Strange Impulse" from whatever Tar Tape it was on -- so Rundgren-esque-ish-y.

Lately I've been spending a lot of time listening to "Sleep Dirt". Ridiculously imaginative postpartum rock-influenced pop-fusion. Imagine a morning without donuts instead replaced with scones and clotted cream -- music to clog the arteries.

Scooter59 likes this.
  7. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

At The Circus from the Beat The Boots II series.
    Just got my hands on it two days ago. I now have every title in the series.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I've got 2-and-a-half hours BLOCKED!
    for THIS.....
    [​IMG]

9. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

For the past couple of weeks I've been listening to every live Zappa thing I can find on YouTube. There are some amazing recordings out there and the music is so, so fantastic. Man, Frank really knew how to deliver a show. So much fun!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  10. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Absolutely Free. :righton:

Scope J and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I bought all of the recent Zappa live reissues. Just listening to `Buffalo' now. Terrific stuff.
    `Broken Hearts Are for....' sounds like.......Phish!!

12. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I am a Zappa newbie and have been playing that one over and over. I love it but for the love of God, could someone explain "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" to me? It is fantastic although I think a lot of it is over my head.

Scopitone likes this.
  13. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

I made a CDR of the best tracks of the Meat Light, following roughly the old Uncle Meat order. Then I stuck some Burnt Weeny tracks on the end.

Some dialog was left out.

It's just to play on a boom box as I read a book. I gave up on iPods with the boom box.

14. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Are you sure you really want to know? ;)

I333I and SOONERFAN like this.
  15. vince

It's a tale of the fantasy of man who..... '...runs the world from city HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!'

PIGGIES and SOONERFAN like this.
  16. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Streaming WOIIFTM.

The stereo separation at the "what's the ugliest part" section is really cool. I never paid attention before.

Scope J likes this.
  17. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Make A Jazz Noise Here...

Scope J likes this.
  18. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Lumpy Gravy. I don't understand it at all but love the way it sounds. Is there any meaning to snippets of dialogue or is it supposed to be nonsense? Sorry if this is a dumb question but as mentioned above, I am new to Frank Zappa's music. I made a CD R with the 2012 Lumpy Gravy along with the mono version of WOIIFTM off of Lumpy Money.

mooseman and Scopitone like this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. vince

I'm one of those freaks that know it backward & forward..
    It has been said that Frank took ALL the 'piano-people' dialogue, and placed them into the album at random.
    It was mostly improvised, with Frank only interjecting words once in a while.
    You can hear other 'bits' in the "Lumpy Money" set, and "Civilization"!

SOONERFAN likes this.
  21. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

One Size Fits All.

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I was listening to Wake Jawaka earlier this evening

Scope J and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I had one in the car CD player, but I switched cars for a few days (the new Beach Boys comp in that one); tonight I got in the first car with my wife, who was endlessly stretching out some conversation she seemed to think we were both invested in. The CD was in the middle of a sax workout, so it stunned me for an instant (when did this Beach Boys album feature sax like this,,,?!). Recalled it was probably Zappa (but which one!), so I inched the volume up. As I did, my wife's one-way "conversation" got more and more agitated. I kept quiet, nodding and making all the appropriate facial gestures of agreement, acquiescence, , only to show I was listening and being polite, as I patiently waited for her to come up for air, finish her point, get the hint...and finally, she did pause-

-long enough to lean in, turn off the player, and say, "Well, I don't think we need that on all the way downtown, do we..."

No idea what Zappa record I was spinning tonight...but from my wife's reaction...whatever it is, it is now my favorite Zappa record. :D

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

25. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Such a ****in' great album! :righton:

I'm working my way through the new Halloween box. Well, just started, I finished the first show. Love it so far, both sound and performance.

vince, Scope J and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.