Whiplash

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Having been a music major, I really enjoyed the movie. I never experienced it, but at that level of university I understand the pressures to "cut it" can be tremendous. NATS was bad enough at a collegiate level.

2. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Great movie.

And I am sure not every soldier in the Vietnam war experienced situations depicted in "Full Metal Jacket", "Apocalypse Now" or "Platoon" and how would those movies be regarded if one guy on an internet forum came out and said, "Hey I was there and I had a great time in Vietnam, so these movies are all crap" ? Of course they would still be regarded as great movies.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

If there's an American somewhere who said they had a great time in combat in Vietnam, he's got enormous issues.

4. Some guys certainly had a fine time there...
    [​IMG]

5. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I've never heard of a shark behaving the way it does in Jaws but that doesn't mean it's not a great movie.

Use_Your_Koala, lbangs and Scott222C like this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

WOW !

Excellent !!!

lbangs likes this.
  7. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I just saw this on DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it. yeah...there were some aspects that were pushed a bit beyond a certain belief...but hey...it's about taking license. I can't stand bullying in real life, nor the intensely competitiveness portrayed...but for a movie ? It was great IMO.

Funny too...I was just posting about agreeing with Dustin Hoffman in his views of modern cinematography in general...then saw this new release. Wow...I could become a believer again. :D

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it is a movie! fictional.

i did not go there (thankfully) a good friend was killed there.

many other friends, probably 20+ that i know well, not just acquaintances, went. some of them still have shrapnel in their bodies, and some of them have died of diseases they should have gotten at a much older age. all of them, every single one, has some thing about them is different than before they went.

none of them, not one, had a good time. believe me.

driverdrummer and alexpop like this.
  9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yeah, I loved the movie but found that point about sabotage to be far fetched. But do you think he was trying to ultimately turn the kid into his 'Byrd' and this is how he had to do it? One last chance to make him his 'Byrd'? I know, that would be a lot of planning on Simmon's character's part but....

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I watched the movie the other night. Then I checked my girl's math homework. It was wrong so I woke her up and beat her.

Absolute rubbish film. Completely predictable. And the slow motion bleeding hand into the ice... I was screaming at the TV.

Yovra, Complier, conjotter and 2 others like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That was wrong - you should have quizzed her on math facts and screamed at her when she didn't reply quickly enough!

13. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I find it amusing that most reactions to this film are polar opposites. It's either "GREAT" or it's a complete "DISASTER".

More proof of how subjective all this really is.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I kinda think that's just the way Internet culture is. Nothing can just be "good" or "bad" anymore - it has to be the most amazing thing ever done or the biggest catastrophe of all-time...

johnnyyen and Grant like this.
  15. There were some great things about the movie, and some truly aweful things too. Both. (IMHO)

16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I honestly believe it is a terrible movie, a sick parody of real music education. If I hadn't seen dozens of examples of people achieving great things through a positive, supportive environment, I might think this is how greatness is reached.

17. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Just saw this a couple of weeks ago without having read any reviews whatsoever.
    I am definitely in the dislike camp for this movie.
    The acting was very good but the movie did nothing for me whatsoever.
    I never found myself caring for the either of the two lead characters which pretty well doomed it for me.

Complier likes this.
  18. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Watched this last night and loved it, more for the music than the movie. Disappointed to see the soundtrack apparently has movie dialogue thru it? I really, really need some jazz records like this.

19. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I should watch Whiplash. I enjoyed JK Simmons in Juno..

20. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Loved Whiplash. What I've never been able to figure out - and apologies if this has already been posted - is what kind of recorded Jazz is out there that matches this kind of intensity? I'm a Jazz newb, and maybe it doesn't even exist, but have tried to find similar music in the past but never really got very far.

groovelocked likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched it on disc. Enjoyed it, but I thought the ending sucked and had little plausibilty. I also hate drum solos. I don't care how well they're done, they all sound like Jimi Page playing the guitar with a violin to me. Any drum solo over ten seconds should be outlawed. I didn't understand the direction where they both smile warmly at each other at the end, like they've come to terms or the kid is finally happy he found his teacher's approval. Was he that much of a nudnick? Overall, it's your basic GI Jane story transplanted to Jazz. Fun, but not much there. And Buddy Rich's cursing is better.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had to look up the plot just now to remember how the movie ends -- it's been a while, I'm getting old, etc. Anyway, yeah, I came out of the movie on a HUGE high. It had been a while since a movie left me feeling as charged up as Whiplash did. :)

groovelocked likes this.
  23. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Loved the film. The ending didn't bother me, personally. After everything we went through with Miles' character, the look of approval felt well deserved & was very rewarding. Only darkness remains for him if he continues down this path with J.K. Simons, but that ending left a smile on my face. Great music, too. One of the best of 2014 easily.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    lbangs and Monosterio like this.
  24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Loved the movie..the car accident sequence was kind of silly though.

townsend and applebonkerz like this.
  25. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

We finally rented the BD a few weeks ago, hadn't read this thread at that point to know we weren't supposed to enjoy this film... anyway, I still loved it. The film wasn't perfect but I sure enjoyed it way more than other supposedly great films I've seen from the past few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.