Whirlwind EDB1 Direct Box (for my guitar amp)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RStein, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RStein

RStein Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a Fender Vibro-Champ amp. It's not giving me enough "umph" and I just bought it. Someone suggested that I get the Whirlwind EDB1 Direct Box, and this would solve my problem. I bought the box, hooked it up, and I don't hear any difference in sound. Not sure if I should exchange for a new box or return it. [​IMG]

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

If you need more gain, here's an example of something that will help (the color is horrid though):

[​IMG]

3. RStein

Thanks.

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, a 6 watt guitar amp with a single 8" speaker ain't gonna give you a lot of umph, though I think a VC has great low volume cleans and a beautiful tremolo. Not sure what kind of umph you're loking for but all the DI box is going to do is buffer your guitar from your amp. If you're looking for more gain, then a boost pedal like gloomrider mentions would be the ticket; if you're looking for umph of another sort driving a larger cab with the VC can be good too.

5. RStein

Thanks this is helpful.

6. gloomrider

Of course, an overdrive or distortion stomp box would provide as much umph as 6 watts can muster.

7. RStein

Maybe I need a new amp. I hate to buy get one since I just bought the Vibro Champ. With that being said, any suggestions on an amp for noodling around at home that has drive/umph.

8. gloomrider

Fender Mustang I version 2.

It's DSP, but it sounds really good for a solid state DSP amp in my experience. This thing has surprising umph for 20 watts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.