Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Matthew Tate and johnny q like this.
  2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't know how pointless they are, but so far they do not sound particularly well done to me. "Still Of The Night" is playing right now and the only discernible difference is that Coverdale's voice is way up front. Also - really bad EQ choices, really tough on the ears.

3. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

The remixes aren’t that different. The most obvious difference is the extended instrumental ending to “Is This Love”. Otherwise it seems Sykes’ guitar is a little clearer and more obvious throughout.

As bartels says, that edition is missing the original UK mixes of two of the songs. It’s also missing the original version of “Need Your Love So Bad” (not the re-recorded version from this 1987 set), which was a B-side in the UK.

Curveboy, Matthew Tate and JasonA like this.
  4. everyday_ffm

everyday_ffm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Special unboxing ;)

5. bartels76

And only available on this for CD.
    Whitesnake - Slide It In (American Remix Version)

Also, the Guilty of Love/Gambler single has the Eddie Kramer mix as it was released months before Slide It In was done. Martin Birch hopped back on as the producer for the proper album.
    Whitesnake - Guilty Of Love

JasonA and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

On the remix of Still Of The Night, I definitely agree that you can hear Syke's guitar better. I remember back in the day trying to learn the very beginning of the guitar solo was always tough for me as it just sounds like a flurry of notes and reverb. On the remix I can much more clearly make out the notes. To me...the remixes have been revealing. But I'm primarily listening to/for guitar.

Currently I'm listening to the live disc. It's great to hear Vandenberg and Campbell on this material. You can definitely hear it's dated-ness though...Vivian Campbell resorting to standard Yngwie-like neo-classical arpeggios and other things he hadn't really dabbled in up to that point. Lots of whammy bars.

johnny q and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

I also have to say that the live show on this set really suffers from far too many audience sing-a-longs. There's a lot of them and they all last way too long. Makes me wonder if the band was stalling for time and was lazy about learning material.

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

My left ear lost some frequency for a day or after listening to this with headphones.

dvcarrick and JasonA like this.
  9. bartels76

I'm so mad at Best Buy... was supposed to arrive Thursday then moved to today. Now stuck at the post office. So now I have to wait until tomorrow. Never again! Amazon all the way!

10. Leigh Burne

Unless I missed something, this release still hasn’t cleared up who plays guitar on the re-do of “Standing in the Shadow”. The lead work at least is definitely not Sykes.

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its not dann huff?

12. Leigh Burne

Both the original single on which the track appears and the Japanese 87 Versions EP credit Sykes on guitar, but you can hear it isn’t him.

I’ve always thought it was Vivian Campbell - compare the guitar solo to the one in the single version of “Give Me All Your Love”, for which he is credited. The style sounds remarkably similar to me.

13. bartels76

So I am watching the DVD and it seems like they used the 2017 remixes for the videos? I like the remixes but it's jarring as I am used to the original versions after 30 years. I wish they kept the original audio for the Stereo mix and then do whatever remix the want for the 5.1. Sort of annoying. Videos look OK at least.
    I am shocked they kept all the Trilogy behind the scenes stuff in as it's pretty much David and Tawny making out the whole time. Glad they did but shocked David let it happen.
    I can't believe Claudia Schiffer was going to do the videos before Tawny. I never heard that before.

14. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I'm sick to death of modern mastering!
    It has got to the point now for me where remasters and new albums are mainly worthless. What a sorry state of affairs.

15. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

It's amazing how many people I know think that they are still together. They divorced in like 1991. For the past twenty years, he's been married to a pole-dance instructor named Cindy.:agree:

driverdrummer and Curveboy like this.
  16. The Slug Man

Just got this today. I've gone through the Evolutions disc and think it's pretty clever how most of the tracks feature the roughest demos spliced to the more "sophisticated" demos, until the end it's almost the final song. Here, sound quality doesn't matter--it's the historical interest.

Now listening to the remixes disc. Why was "Looking For Love" not included on the US album? It's better than 2 or 3 of the songs that did make it.

Next up is the live disc.

17. bartels76

I guess the original video mixes are on here. I must've been listening to the surround option. :whistle:

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Unless it's an audiophile issue there's usually not much hope. And even then there may be an older better version.

Curveboy and sunking101 like this.
  19. bartels76

The Evolutions disc is awesome. Very cool to hear these early versions.

johnny q and Plectrum Electrum like this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Mine arrived yesterday...incredible package. Haven't had a chance to give it a good listen yet.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Plectrum Electrum

Plectrum Electrum Forum Resident

I'm delighted with this set and think it was an absolute bargain for £35-ish. Haven't got to the live set or the documentary yet, but love everything else. Yes, the remaster is loud, bright (the drums suffer the most, IMO) and even clips at times, but I like the added punch and thickness.

I would have paid what I paid just for the Evolutions disc. The fact the various stages each song was at segues to the next one is so cool. And as a guitarist, I'll be honest, it's nice to hear Sykes sounding human on some of those early versions with his playing and tone. I used to think of both as pretty unattainable, but it just reinforces that good art takes time to refine. Don't Turn Away is quite possibly my favourite song from the album, and the solo my favourite of all-time.

Like others, I'm not too fond of the 2017 remixes. They're a bit more raw, but they lose something as a result, IMO. The big production was such a big part of this album. I do like how some of DC's backing vocals sound on it, though.

Overall, I'm really happy with this set and urge any fan of the album and band to get it, especially at this price.

22. Leigh Burne

Listened to the live disc yesterday. It was in my car so I can’t really comment on the sound quality, but even so I can agree the guitars are a bit low in the mix. Still, I’d much rather they try and spruce up a bootleg like this than not include any period live material at all (looking at you, Queen’s News of the World box set). Some great work from Campbell and Vandenberg.

One thing that did strike me though is how badly Sykes is missed in terms of backing vocals. Everyone talks about his contribution on guitar, but his vocals are also a big part of the album for me. He’s an infinitely better singer than a guitarist has any right to be and his singing is sorely missed on the live disc.

Anthrax, Juggsnelson and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. bartels76

David talks about that in the doc on how great his voice is. They are pretty much duetting on Is This Love which was because of how well their voices blended together.

Matthew Tate and Leigh Burne like this.
  24. Leigh Burne

Yeah, I’ve always really liked how high in the mix Sykes’ vocals are on the album.

25. The Slug Man

Watched the whole DVD last night. Damn, Tawny Kitaen was hot...

The live filmed section was kind of a rip-off. Just the 2nd half of "Crying in the Rain" and "Still of the Night"?