Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

are the demo's cd multiple takes spliced together? seems like each song starts out as a home demo and makes its way into being a band demo by the end

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks. I think I’ll pass on the remaster and get an original CD then the box set from 7digital.

c-eling likes this.
  3. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

That's exactly what they are. And I really like it. Makes for a much more interesting listen, if you ask me!

4. Matthew Tate

thank you. yes it was interesting

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That would be a GREAT title for a box set of outtakes and less-than-perfect shows!!
    Or for my autobiography :laugh:

For which we thank you! Hey, tweet my title idea at him, will ya? Seriously, I could see him liking that idea (or at least for a disc in a set or whatever).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I couldn’t resist and bought the remaster CD in store. Should have listened to you guys. Very compressed. At least it’s only $5.

7. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

We probably enjoy a compressed sound more than we let on. This ain't classical music! A big sound coming out if a big speaker.

8. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I just picked up the Rhino 2017 Whitesnake 1987 individual CD remaster, found it in a Walmart. The booklet says it was remastered by Dave Donnelly, who I am told likes to remaster a bit loud. Well, after playing the CD I can say that it is a drop too loud, although it's not brickwalled. However, the original 80s production for this album is very bright and the songs have a glassy sheen on them - that's probably more of an issue for me than the volume level.

Has anyone posted DR numbers for the 2017 remaster, I would be curious to know the DR since this CD is noticeably compressed?

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

10. Plectrum Electrum

Plectrum Electrum Forum Resident

It's still such a shame that their stuff has been getting crushed for the best part of two decades. 1987 is one of my favourite ever albums and it would be great to hear a dynamic master with more clarity. This one is absolutely crushed and way too bright. The slower and mid-tempo songs aren't too bad but the likes of 'Bad Boys', 'Give Me All Your Love', 'Straight For The Heart' clip terribly and the cymbals sound so unnatural :(

Karnak likes this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Listening to the Evolution disc from the box. Amazing material it's like your their in the studio with Dave and the band 1985--1986.

ToddH, John Bliss, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

13. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

That's such a great album it brings back memories for me from that time. I have the 30th Anniversary single disk is the box set worth it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

i think it is

theshape and Jupitermadcat like this.
  15. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I thought it was pretty great value, so yeah. The demo disc is one of the most interesting I've heard, because each track is an evolution from a really early, rough take at the start to a later, fuller demo by the end.

Incidentally, it's a little off-topic, but Whitesnake have confirmed a similar set for Slide It In this year: Whitesnake Announce 'Slide It In' 35th Anniversary Box Set

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  16. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I'll get it, but I feel like I just bought the 2009 25th anniversary two-disc set, not to mention that cool Back To The Bone live set from around 2014.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Looking foward to Slide It In box set this March. Just wanted to share this. Hahaha!! Kind of cool. Gotta spin Whitesnake 1987 album tonight.

18. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Well I heard of them but was not a "fan", but years later- now I am, just ordered this boxset. Amazing how they captivated me so many years later.

19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Lots of great impressions of this set in this thread.

My takeaways:

The 2017 main album remaster disc is way too loud and compressed. I picked up a original 1987 CD for 4.99 and sounds many times better.
    The 87 Evolutions disk is a good one time listen.
    The Snakeskin live was surprisingly good, they sounded great and true live.
    The 87 Version is the real deal here and worth the price of the Box Set. Less compressed and some versions here I prefer.
    The DVD PQ is slight improvement over the YouTube versions, also I like it in 5.1 surround. The vocals are dead center in and the instruments panned just right.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve never heard Slide it In (incredibly awesome 80s album title though! Imagine that one passing today). Is it at all like 1987??

21. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

In retrospect, it comes across as a dry run for 1987. On the American version, Sykes has some guitar overdubs, but don't expect all the "modern" soloing found on 1987. More straightahead rock. It's bluesier, sort of halfway between Whitesnake's earlier blues-rock and later hair metal. I think Slide It In strikes a good balance between the two and might just be my favorite album of theirs.

Markyp, Matthew Tate and Porkpie like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Slide It In is the album for Whitesnake of course. Whitesnake 1987 is a solid balls to the walls album even with the top 40 hits on it. A great and even mixture of musical styles on this album. At times I hear rock, blues and heavy metal. John Sykes is incredible.

23. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

There's also the 2018 iTunes version of the 1987 album, which is a different mastering than the highly-compressed 30th Anniversary Edition. I have no idea why it was remastered again a year later, but it's the best version to my ears.

24. If you think the 2017 remaster is too loud and compressed you should check out the 20th Anniversary Edition remaster from 2007. It's deafening! It also sounded very flat with little bass.

Neilson77 likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip