Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is a no brainer for me, instant purchase. However, let's hope the 2017 remaster will not be the distorted mess the earlier Deluxe Edition was. That one is awful. It's so loud, the drums on "Bad Boys" distort.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's through Rhino so it's getting released here. I just ordered it through Amazon US.

Curveboy likes this.
  4. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Noticed the price is about half the Hysteria anniversary set.

Matthew Tate and bartels76 like this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Bit of a guilty pleasure as I'd moved on from hair bands by that time, but I'm in.

Northwind likes this.
  6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Mine too, and the extra tracks (UK track listing) makes for a much nicer listen.

7. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

After a quiet couple of years, Whitesnake's David Coverdale is "feeling like a fireman surrounded by little wildfires, just really, really busy" with upcoming releases both new and archival thanks to a new deal with the Warner Music Group Worldwide and Rhino Entertainment.

"It's really thrilling for Warner to now have the Whitesnake catalog for the entire world and to be able to work closely with David on some amazing projects that will continue the legacy of one of the all-time-great rock nā€™ roll bands," Pinkus says. "Our vision on how to approach the catalog for the future were incredibly aligned. While I can't go into too much detail, we plan to give the 'Rhino treatment' to the Whitesnake catalog with a wide variety of offerings for all types of consumers, from boxed sets to vinyl to download to streaming."

Whitesnake Signs New Catalog Deal, Details Future Releases of Archival & New Material: Exclusive

8. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Not interested. BUT, I'd jump on anything from Slide It In and earlier.

9. bartels76

Wow this is exciting! I've met David at a meet and greet and he is the nicest guy ever. Fantastic that he is into doing these archival projects as well as doing new stuff. Usually you get one or the other with heritage acts or none!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yes...his energy seems endless. He's a great one to follow on Twitter too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. bartels76

Up on his website too. Rhino has rights to Japan and North America. Looks like EMI has the rest of the world. I wonder if this includes the pre-Geffen catalog? David owns the Geffen years rights I know that. That's why the Rhino deal was made.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  12. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

That has my curiosity going too.

13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

My two questions as well.

As @Curveboy stated, the "Evolution" versions could very well be their clever way of saying "demo".

Curveboy likes this.
  14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Been listening to my UK "1987" CD since I saw this thread earlier. The running order is SO much better than the U.S. version.

"Straight For The Heart" and "Don't Turn Away" really stood out for some reason. SFTH kind of reminded me of Van Hagar.

supernaut and DML71 like this.
  15. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Of course, I'm in.

16. sandimascharvel

That's an incredible song. I love the guitar solo on it as well especially those expressive notes at the end. I fist heard it on the Japan CD EP 1987 Versions.
    Which makes me wonder why the box track list includes it on the first disc as well as a bonus disc noting "1987 Versions Version" because there is no difference other than the mastering sounds better on the U.K. EMI CD. Same for "You're Gonna Break Mt Heart Again"; the version on the 1987 Versions CD is the same as the U.K. album version.

supernaut, Matthew Tate and Northwind like this.
  17. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Has anyone compared original Europe and US vinyl? I've got the Euro and am wondering if I've been missing something.

18. bartels76

artfromtex and sandimascharvel like this.
  19. bartels76

US vinyl is more dynamic as there are less songs on it. John Kalodner (their A&R guy) purposely cut the 2 songs off so the cut would be better.

Purple likes this.
  20. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

In for the box set, and now also need the EMI UK CD after reading this thread. My wallet thanks you guys. :)

artfromtex and sandimascharvel like this.
  21. bartels76

Looks like EMI/Parlophone owns the rights outside of NA and Japan and will be part of this reissue thing per the copyright info on ITunes. Also, the UK version of Slide It In popped up on US ITunes if you are interested. No Slip Of The Tongue on ITunes as of now. The Geffen stuff was off ITunes for a while during the transition.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The EMI is worth it.

23. sandimascharvel

Lol. I'm listening to it right now. I didn't pay too much for it on eBay. It really sounds great. Make sure it's the made in U.K. disc. Sykes' guitars are so wide and clear. The later Holland pressing is good but not quite as good.

I rip everything to lossless so I altered the track tags and made my track order the US order followed by "Looking For Love", "You're Gonna Break My Heart Again", "Need Your Love So Bad" (1987 mix), "Here I Go Again" (radio version). I had listened to the US DADC disc so many times and for so long that I just couldn't get into the U.K. track order even though I'd love "Looking For Love" to be before the end.

AlanDistro likes this.
  24. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Not just the running order. The European version has Looking for Love whilst the US version does not.

For 30 years I have been trying to figure out why? Looking for Love is absolutely a killer song, almost the best on the entire album and one of the best Whitesnake songs ever, at least in my humble opinion. Pure Coverdale brooding at it's best.

This time Europe wins easily; for 1987 always get the Euro version.

25. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I'm probably in on this. I have a some of the CD singles from this album and also some 12" singles and 45's. Interested in some of the remixes. I have the USA and UK versions on CD, original releases. I don't have "Need Your Love So Bad" (1987 mix).