Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Def Leppard apparently, and unfortunately, brickwalled their recent Hysteria box and remaster. That will be the make or break for me on this one. DL also didn't include anything new. Nice to see what's been added to this one so I hope it's mastered nicely.

2. sandimascharvel

Coverdale's vocal on that is great. It's the same vocal track as the original but with different backing instruments. They used the original vocal track on the "Standing In The Shadows" (1987 Mix) as well.

Northwind and bartels76 like this.
  3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The live track is up on ITunes and seems OK. It can't be worse than the 2007 remaster. Hopefully Rhino talked Coverdale into not smashing it to death. I have the original CD so I'll purchase this no matter what with all the bonus stuff. The 2CD Deluxe Edition is getting sold stat.

sandimascharvel likes this.
  4. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Yes, the two extra tracks are top shelf material. But aside from that, I just dig the flow of the UK version. "Still Of The Night" is a killer opening track.

supernaut and dlb99 like this.
  5. sandimascharvel

I wonder if there will be a hi res release.

6. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

I say there is no chance of that.

I've listened to many an interview with DC, he loves compression. Expect DR6. The only hope would be a vinyl edition.

Note, this album has a very steely / digital type of production. Not much can be done to polish it. A good original UK pressing is about as good as it would get; it somewhat tames the beast.

johnny q likes this.
  7. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Why that particular song, as well as "You're Going To Break My Heart Again", hasn't rightly been explained other than their US A&R rep wanted two less tracks on the album so that the vinyl version would sound more dynamic, and less compressed. I don't know how or why John Kalodner and David Coverdale chose those specific songs to leave off in place of two others, but they did. I agree with your sentiment, though, as I always felt the same. Maybe it's something try will explain more in the liner notes of documentary on the new deluxe set?

That it does, but I think "Crying In The Rain" does, too. That said, it would make just as good an opening track for Side 2 of the album, as well. I know the only reason why they changed the US running order was because US audiences were not familiar with the original version of "Crying In The Rain" (and "Here I Go Again") from the Saints And Sinners album released in 1982, ad it wasn't released in the US until after the success of 1987. Likely in reverse also why "Here I Go Again ('87)" appears later in the run order of the UK run order.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    artfromtex and dlb99 like this.
  8. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Basically this, I've heard the same thing. I guess Kalodner was scarred of long LPs. He was wrong on that count.

Def Leppard Hysteria and Euro 1987 are long albums (of the day); but 1st press UK versions of each sound just as good as US 1st pressings I've heard.

If it was me and a song had to go it would have been Children of the Night, drop it, keep Looking for Love.

9. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Aye, and there's the rub. What tracks(s) do you lose in place of it?

One other reason may have been that "Looking For Love" was the second longest track on the album, so that could have been a deciding factor. If you're looking to cut time, it's an obvious choice.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    dlb99 likes this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I also recommend Blue Murder with John Sykes as a companion album to 1987.

11. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Is there a benefit to compression?

12. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Yes absolutely for rock music.

But like alcohol, always best in moderation. Too much is never better; actually it makes it worse.

DC can't seem to use restraint when it comes to compression. No way it happens here.

Curveboy likes this.
  13. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Can't wait for this release. Apparently they are also working on a new studio album for release sometime in spring '18.

Matthew Tate, Curveboy and Northwind like this.
  14. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Doesn't seem likely. At first I was hoping the box set would have the entire album in 5.1

Bummer

Rufus rag likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Based on what I've read here, I've ordered the 1987 UK CD from eBay just.

I hate to be negative, but I'm guessing that will be the best sounding version of this album long after the 30th anniversary edition has been released.:D

Dynamic Ranger and Holy Diver like this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I was curious about that too...

sandimascharvel likes this.
  17. sandimascharvel

I have book around somewhere on Whitesnake with a discography at the end. It says that one version (I think the picture disc) of "Is This Love", came with an explanation why some of the original parts to those tracks were kept (instead of complete re-records like "Crying in the Rain" and "Here I Go Again"). I've never seen it but it would be cool to see.

Although I like the earlier arrangement of "Need Your Love So Bad", and it sounds like being in a church with Jon Lord's organ, on the remix, DC's voice cuts through the mix better at the peak of the song.

On a similar note of versions, "You're Gonna Break My Heart Again" was said to be a total reworking of "Don't Break My Heart Again". Interesting that the earlier version was on the "Give Me All Your Love" CD5. Maybe for reference? That makes 5 tracks that were either re-recorded, overhauled or remixed in 1987.

I was listening to the old "Crying in the Rain" and "Here I Go Again" last night and there are very cool and drastic differences in each version and the style and version of the band lineup that make both great listens. Bluesy rock/hard rock vs hard rock/heavy metal.

18. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

This was a digital recording, and from 86-87 sessions I'm guessing 16-44k.

19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

As far as I could tell from discogs, the extra tracks are only on the U.K. cd. My Europe vinyl copy retains the 9-track format with the original listing. But I also see that the U.K. vinyl is the same. What am I missing here?

20. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think there is multiple issues of this and I don't have the discography in front of me. Here is a 10 track one. I've never seeked out the EMI version. The Geffen original press is perfect as is.

Whitesnake - 1987 (EMI Records 10 Track Vinyl LP - 1987 + Inner - EMCX 3528) | eBay

21. sandimascharvel

One other difference I noticed between my 1987 US DADC and the EMI UK CD is what always bothered me with my DADC -a very small bit of the fist note in "Crying in the Rain" is missing. The U.K. first note is full.

22. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I've pre-ordered the 1987 SD box set from Amazon UK. I'm not expecting too much in terms of mastering quality, I'm mostly buying it for the remixes and demo's. I won't be too disappointed if the box set is brickwalled because I already have the 1987 EMI UK cd which is the best cd version.

Frank Field and Curveboy like this.
  23. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

As one of my all time favourite albums of all time I ordered the Deluxe Box set & the 2LP for a total of £51.90 - the Def Leppard - Hysteria Deluxe Box Set ( an album I also enjoy a lot) was £74.99 last time I looked. Something ain't quite right.

Frank Field likes this.
  24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Until recently I had no idea the running order for this album was such a mess. I have the original UK version, the UK vinyl version which I recently bought (with the plodding US remix of HIGA) and the 2007 remaster. These all have different tracks and running orders and then the US version is different again. I wonder why these reissues treat the running order like a mere suggestion? Just pick one and commit.

JasonA likes this.
  25. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I bought my German vinyl pressing when it was released in 1987 and there is definitely no You're Gonna Break My Heart Again and Looking For Love on that record.

LitHum05 likes this.