Whitesnake - The Purple Tour - Jan '18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

well thats debatable

Kiss73, gitters and zen like this.
  2. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

DC has many superb vocal performances, both on record and live.

These days it is a different story. And it gets worse when he still tries to pull off what he could do when he was at the top of his game.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That was a very good record. Really underrated. But it didn't get much attention, so back to the Whitesnake name he returned. He sounds awful in the video linked to in the first post. Even with overdubs. Yikes.
    If they did something mostly acoustic (not just ballads), I think that would be great. David can't pull off the screaming rocker anymore, and I wish he'd quit trying.

4. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

What is the point of that Burn video? It's a promo for a live album using a studio-shot video with silly cut-ins of a snake and a girl, plus some sad effects. I mean, if they're releasing concert footage why add all that nonsense? Sorry, been a long term Coverdale fan but this just seems way off.

5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

So what. And Pete Best was a Beatle. Not the classic DP. He’s still a 2nd rate musician. Quite funny trying to look raunchy at his age.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Carserguev likes this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Retirement money required....

7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I liked the Coverdale Page album a lot. It would be cool with me if they did another project.

One thing Page should have done when he had the chance is toured with Heart like he did with the Black Crowes. That would have been awesome. You know Ann Wilson could nail all the Zeppelin stuff.

8. dudley07726

As little as Page has done the last god knows how many years, I don’t think he would stoop to,doing that these days.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. bladerunner555

bladerunner555 Forum Resident

I have no idea how DC sounds now a days,but I certainly enjoyed the Hell out of Made In Japan(I am referring to the Whitesnake one).
    I will be seeing Whitesnake next July in Kansas City.They'll be opening for Foreigner...which makes no sense to me..but oh well,I plan on leaving before Foreigner takes the stage anyway.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Well, Plant obviously has no interest in working with Page so perhaps DC would be his next best option if he is even interested in being in a band anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. dudley07726

I think Plant worked with Psge out of pity after seeing him work with DC. I remember reading an 8nterview with Page and Plant together whereby Plant ridiculed that teaming and Page seemed a bit taken back. It’s obvious Plant has no positive opinions of DC.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

Agreed. For a live recording it sounded pretty studio-ized. And the visuals would give me a headache.

I'll pass.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. I look forward to ordering this. How many vocalists are as good in their sixties as they where in their twenties or thirties? Coverdale isn' t any worse than David Lee Roth or Joe Elliott, who can still pull off the Hysteria era stff but can't handle the 80-83 era very well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats not the same at all. pete best was in the beatles before they recorded an album and plays on what, a handful of studio recordings? coverdale was in DP for 4 years and plays on 3 albums and was inducted into the HOF as a member of deep purple

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

“It got louder and louder, and so did I, to the point now where I have to get dressed up like a "girly man" and tease ones questionable bangs or hair and it's all becoming a bit... boring."

David Coverdale 2006

dbz and Murph like this.
  16. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

IT's been a while since I listened/watched Made in Japan. I was excited about the release, but the blu ray was kind of a let down. Image quality was very good, but the sole audio track was a dolby 5.1 mix. Subpar to what it should have been.
    Furthermore; it was a festival set, i.e. short, and it still featured a guitar solo AND a drum solo. I also seem to recall that the whole thing was tuned down a lot and featured many obvious overdubs.

17. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

slightly on topic; the whole thing about lossy audio on a blu ray might be a thing about Frontiers releases.
    I just got Joe Elliot's Mott The Hoople tribute thing on blu ray, and it features one audio track; dolby stereo...................

18. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Madonna, not famous? What a ridiculous notion. She probably been one of the most recognised women on the planet for the last 30-odd years. Who would take anything that Harrison said seriously anyway. He was a grouch at best for most of his life.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

Coverdale has been unlistenable for 10 years now. His voice is beyond shot. I hate him for ruining the legacy of one of the finest hard rock/blues band ever.

gary191265 and Munros1969 like this.
  20. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Agree. Coverdale was a key contributor to Deep Purple for a number of years and on some strong albums. Also, his early material with Whitesnake was great, gaining him quite a bit of respect, and, while I’m not a fan of it, his later-80’s stuff with Whitesnake sold by the bucketload. He’s certainly earned some status.

That said, putting out material like we see on the new Burn video isn’t going to help him retain that status in the coming years. Pretty sad.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Coverdale has every right to release a document of the last tour on audio and video.

On the other hand, you could listen to one of these instead:

Deep Purple - Made In Europe
    Deep Purple - Live In London
    Deep Purple - Mk III: The Final Concerts
    Deep Purple - Last Concert In Japan
    Deep Purple - King Biscuit Flower Hour
    Whitesnake - Live...In The Heart Of The City
    Whitesnake - Live in '84: Back to the Bone
    Whitesnake - Starkers In Tokyo

Or watch one of these:

Deep Purple - Live In California '74
    Deep Purple - Phoenix Rising
    Whitesnake - Live in '84: Back to the Bone
    Whitesnake - Live At Donington 1990

Just a thought.

Matthew Tate and Kiss73 like this.
  22. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'd give Donington a miss ;)

dbz and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

As would I, but the voice was still there, even if you could hear the bits of what was to come.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Never quite understand the whole Deep Purple fan mentality of constantly kicking the Coverdale period of the band (and Coverdale in particular).

Those 2 line ups made 3 classic studio albums within the Purple catalogue that if I was a Purple fan I would be pretty proud of.

As for recent Whitesnake albums.......Good To Be Bad, Forevermore and The Purple Album are all brilliant albums.

25. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I never understood there to be such a fan mentality -most folks I've met who like Purple are pretty fond of Burn in particular.

AndydD, Zoot Marimba, slipkid and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.