Who - A Quick One - new Japanese box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew B., Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Phil, I disagree that the "metallic fuzz" was there before. You can bump up the mids and highs on the 2002 CD *without* it sounding like that.

2. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I've sent an e-mail to Jon Astley's studio, and hope to have a definitive answer soon, about whether the distortion on those two mixes(as they appear on the Japanese box) is a result of different E.Q. or whether it is a fault in how the Japanese processed the materials that they were sent.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

If you actually get a reply from him, could you please ask what the deal is with "Circles" on the My Generation box being sourced from the old MCA CD?

I'd love to know the status of the tapes...

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Like I said, you can play the 2002 versions with the treble cranked all the way up, and they don't sound like *that*. Not even close.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the Japanese "processed" anything. They would have used whatever Astley sent them.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Supposedly it wasn't from the CD, but apparently from a digital tape from MCA. Apparently the tape used to make the CD...

The master for the Talmy-produced Circles seems to be MIA. IIRC, the alternate version was on a mix reel that the master must have been spliced out of. No clue where the master is.

6. Laservampire

Got my set from CD-Connection! The packaging is amazing!

Did anyone else take their 45 sleeves out of the brown bands and find that the box doesn't close anymore?

7. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

I got mine today, it is a thing of beauty. $36 shppied thanks to Ben!

8. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

:agree::laugh:

such a problem to have, man, thanks for tipping me off to this well done reissue...just a top shelf job done. ...but now my box isnt completely closed...oh well....i'd rather it be chock full of goodies and not closing than empty and a rip off....:nauga:

great stuff.

9. Laservampire

Glad to know everyone is getting their cheap boxes! :goodie:

10. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

At these "new" prices, I picked up another copy through Amazon (US) and plan on selling it here in two years time for $300.00!

Ain't I a stinker? :shh:

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Oh, so YOU'RE the guy who bought the last one!! I was just about the grab one myself and saw it's no longer available. Oh well.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Got mine for just over $30 on Amazon. It hasnt arrived yet. Looking forward to sitting on my shelf next to my $16 Japanese Kinks SHM box set!!

13. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I ordered my set from CD Connection on Monday and recieved it today. Beautiful box package, layout and the mini sleeves. (I won't touch the brown bands)

The mastering sounds OK. I played the monos first. I enjoyed reading Astley's notes as it appears he cares and I know the concensus of fans from his past work. His notes on the EQ, Lamerts style of recording amused me.

Great running order of tracks on the mono disc with additional tracks. (total 25) The mono Happy Jack (Alternate Mix) is great to reveal a new perspective Entwistle Bass tone. :righton: Boris The Spider in mono rivals the Reaction Vinyl. (Even my grandson smiled as I played these loud) Very clean sounding Substitute for a nasty recording....

I'll listen to the stereo tomorrow. So far overall I'm very pleased. :D

14. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Ahhhh....don't be a hater! ;)

15. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oh go on then. if you're careful you can get them back in, I did, they are really sweet to behold....and lets face it, you're never gonna sell it, its too fantastic, so enjoy its many treats to their fullest....

16. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

You can slide the brown bands off and on many, many times. I have. Just be careful, watch the alignment, and remember that you have to have them facing both ways so the thicker spines aren't all on the same side.

17. Laservampire

I just left the brown bands off, the box isn't going to get shaken around any time soon.

18. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

Got mine today from Caiman. Paid somwehere around $40. It is such a well done product. Even my wife commented about how well done it was. Now on to the listening.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

First, a correction - both this version and the 2002 remix have some extra stuff (Keith going "Hit me, hit me, I like it", etc) during the solo not on the mono mix. That said, the version on the box *does* seem to be a vintage stereo mix rather than a remix. Anyone have an idea if/where this was ever released?

20. peter

peter Senior Member

Are there any sellers left with the low price? I just checked several and no go. I had a busy week and had little time to buy one. Now, all the sellers listed in the last 2-3 pages of this thread seem to be out. Help!

21. Got my Quick One box from CD Connection today, day before earliest delivery estimate (I ordered 12/14; amazon said expect starting 12/23). Packaged very well (bubble wrap around box, also bubble packaging in box). Haven't listened yet, but packaging wise looks as quality as My Generation box. :righton:

22. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I have a question for you WHO experts. How many MCA/Polydor editions(distinctly different masterings) of the expanded "A Quick One" are there?
    I originally had the first MCA expanded edition(mostly stereo bonus tracks, but all of the album tracks except "Run Run Run" were mono, because Jon Astley was unaware that there were stereo mixes for the other album tracks). I got rid of this disc.
    Then I got the UK Polydor corrected edition which presented the 10 album tracks all in stereo, 6 of them newly remixed(excepting "See My Way", which is always fake stereo). I seem to recall that there was a slight increase in the amount of stereo mixes amongst the bonus tracks. This disc was mastered quite loud and maximized, but is still listenable.

Have there been any further upgrades/remasters of the one disc expanded "A Quick One"?

23. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly Thread Starter

No, you've got them both. Both MCA and Polydor put out the mostly-mono version in 1995, and switched to the mostly-stereo version in 2002, though in the case of MCA they never bothered to change the catalogue number.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The stereo mix of Disguises was used on the 2002 CD, and Bucket T and Barbara Ann were presented in new stereo remixes. All were in mono on the 1995 CD.

25. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

If any one you missed it this is back in stock at low prices from several Amazon sellers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.