Who are the 70's heavy metal bands besides Sabbath and Priest?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mountain Cowboy, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Divlje Jagode (engl. "Wild Strawberies") Želim da te imam (engl. "I Want To Have You") (Divlje Jagode LP, 1978, Sarajevo, Bosnia, former Yugoslavia)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Divlje Jagode Bubi (untranslatable word) (Divlje Jagode LP, 1978, Sarajevo, Bosnia, former Yugoslavia)

3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Divlje Jagode Čekam da sunce zađe (engl. "I'm Waiting For Sunset") (Divlje Jagode LP, 1978, Sarajevo, Bosnia, former Yugoslavia)

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

If the photo has nipples, you really should use NSFW or spoiler...

5. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Did you saw my post 333 ? Streetwalkers, nils lofgren, Bob seger, Thin Lizzy, boston, skynyrd, the runaways, queen were tagged as "Kings of metal" (not even hard rock, but METAL) by the leading rock mag of the seventies in continental europe...it's only proof that all those terms were used indifferently ...and as I said earlier, in my city, all the people that were into heavy music were saying in 1979 that what you call crap (journey and boston) were hard rock groups...and, as someone said earlier in post 329, the people that went to heavy concerts wore denim jackett with patch ranging from styx to motorhead on the same jacket...it was for us the same music and it could be labelled some day as hard rock some other day as heavy music and so on...Nobody has the truth on this subject because there is no truth, you can find articles where jimi hendrix is considered as a father of heavy music or as heavy music himself. And you can't deny that in the beginning of the nineties new terms appeared to qualify all the obscure bands that nobody knew about in the seventies (leaf hound, aftershave, T 2, jericho, flower traveling band, and countless others that were rediscovered by the bootleg and unofficial reissue of all the underground cd labels of the nineties). So I understand very well that FOR YOU there is no question corporate arena bands like journey and boston can be labelled as hard rock but your truth is no better or worse than my truth that says to you in my country those bands were tagged as hard rock or heavy bands all the time by countless rock fans...Those labels only reflects the opinion of the one who utilise it...I have never see James Brown or Depeche mode or Spandau ballet be described as hard rock or heavy metal but the spectrum from foreigner, Boston and journey to Judas priest, motorhead and Metallica, that spectrum I have often seen labelled as hard rock by countless people...

Svetonio, Zeki and Doggiedogma like this.
  6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Maybe that says more about the credibility of that magazine than it does about the music.

That's where you're wrong. Compare these two statements. One is true, the other isn't.

"I never heard anybody use the term heavy metal before the NWOBHM!"
    "Nobody ever used the term heavy metal before the NWOBHM!"

I didn't say that it didn't happen. I said that it's revisionism.

You use a phrase like "can be" and I don't know how to reply. My guess is that they can be labelled anything. With a wide enough definition, the spectrum covers everything.

7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I'm still trying to get over Nils Lofgren being described as Heavy Metal. What a world, what a world.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A million dollar question: how a genre / term / tag that didn't exist, can experience its new wave? [NWOBHM is an abbreviation of New Wave of British Heavy Metal]

9. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yes, back in the '70's and early '80's bands like Styx, Kansas, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, Golden Earing (lol, I know) DID get a lot of coverage mainly in the metal fanzines at the time (Circus, Creem, Hit Parader, Karrang). Like I wrote earlier, back then there were not a lot of heavy groups so a band that had a somewhat heavy/hard sound with guitar solos was was considered metal (in various degrees - from say Foreigner/ Boston to Iron Maiden/Motorhead). Obviously, there are degrees to the "metal-ness" of a band, but a lot of bands did crossover into the metal realm at the time even if now in retrospect, they would not be considered "metal" (see Joan Jett).

Svetonio likes this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Bob Seger is my favorite metal act. :)

uzn007 and Svetonio like this.
  11. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

HardHeavyRockMetal would make a great genre...diplomatic and inclusive.

Wes_in_va likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Mine’s Dan Fogelberg.

jay.dee, yarbles and Holy Diver like this.
  13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

@Curveboy posted this on another similar thread late last year: From 1974. Heavy Metal Hall of Fame

The Heavy Metal Hall of Fame

@Curveboy also included an interesting article from Phonograph magazine that was around the same period, maybe even slightly earlier, that references bands as heavy metal...stuff I never considered to be anything other than hard rock.

But the point, I guess, is that one fans hard rock is/can be another fans heavy metal.

Curveboy and Svetonio like this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

From the article I posted above. Includes new sub-genres! (I guess not so new as these are from '74):
    Yardbirds "forged rock's original metallic sound."
    Cream "....imitated by such metal giants as Grand Funk Railroad..." "I Feel Free one of metal's headiest moments.."
    Hendrix "preferred an angry metal whine.."
    Led Zeppelin "as the prototypical heavy metal band..."
    Sabbath "...play the ultimate downer metal.."
    The Stooges "...perfected moronic metal..."
    Blue Oyster Cult "America's most competent exponent of British style virtuoso metal."

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

:laugh:

GodShifter and Holy Diver like this.
  16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

This article and the general spirit of it really demonstrates that the term 'heavy metal', which was quite a bit of fun to begin with, was ultimately misappropriated and politicized and had all the fun taken out of it!

Zeki and GodShifter like this.
  17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Most of the magazines that tried (in vain) to define heavy Metal and/or Hard Rock are long gone while the music is still being created.
    Take that pundits, journos, tastemakers and gatekeepers.

18. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

:laughup::biglaugh:

Whoever wrote that article had little idea what constituted heavy or hard rock, let alone heavy metal.

About the only thing he gets right is that Cream suffered from weak material.

uzn007 and GodShifter like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

You're sticking it to death?!

20. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I thought these guys were heavy metal in the 70's; now I'm not so sure. They do, however, rock righteously.
    The Godz-Gotta Keep A Runnin'

DPM likes this.
  21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It's kind of important to note that the article was written in 1974.

Svetonio likes this.
  22. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

IMHO, No.
    Black Sabbath: Old Testament
    Judas Priest: New Testament
    The Scorpions had me pause for thought and listen. They're sufficiently fast and aggressive at times but are never heavy so in my humble opinion they're not Heavy Metal by my strict definition.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

ikr.

FYI, I was listening to heavy/hard rock from about 1972. Nobody I knew then or subsequently ever considered Cream, VU or NYD heavy or hard rock.

As for the term 'heavy metal', we never used it. I don't doubt that some people were using it to describe hard/heavy rock in the early 70s, but I suspect most of them were journalists or young kids. To the hard/heavy rock 70s cognoscenti, the term 'heavy metal' was considered more of an insult than a valid descriptor, a lazy or disparaging term the terminally unhip might use, or more likely one's parents.

jay.dee likes this.
  24. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I've been listening to the heavy stuff since it started. I certainly don't remember 'heavy metal' being considered an insult back in the 70's, except maybe by people who didn't like hard rock music. If you liked hard rock music, heavy was good, and heavy metal was just sort of a cool-sounding, if ill-defined term. That's how I remember it. But we all have our own experiences & memories.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  25. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Right, the terms "hard rock" and "heavy rock" are much more hip and favorable :crazy:. "Heavy metal" - harumph!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.