Who are the 70's heavy metal bands besides Sabbath and Priest?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mountain Cowboy, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Of course, Cream released a compilation album called Heavy Cream. In 1972! :D

Veni Vidi Vici and jay.dee like this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

You took my quote out of context. Was it inadvertent or was it deliberate?

For anyone to say that there's no truth is BULL-loney. That's the real strawman argument.

IF I say that I never heard the term before the NWOBHM, it could very well be true. But IF I say that nobody ever used the term before 1980 as so many do every time somebody creates one of these threads on heavy metal; it's not true and it's been proven repeatedly. But that doesn't stop folks from coming on here and spreading the same disinformation over and over and over. At a certain point, you have to wonder whether it's a case of them really not knowing or if it's dishonesty.

And for 0476 to talk about my truth vs your truth like this is some deep philosophical discussion is laughable.

3. dmiller458

Mike F: False prophet.

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Metal Mike, again, in April 1973 Phonograph Record magazine. Posted previously by @Curveboy :

"The State of Heavy Metal Today" and unfortunately I can't figure out how to copy just that portion. And the link is subscription.

It looks like part of same article (?) is:
    THE ANTHROPOLOGICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF HEAVY METAL

"It's easy to note the changes in rock structure that heavy metal groups have employed: increased song length, for one. Five minutes has been about the average metal song duration, often even without any extended solos. Some stompers, like Dust's ‘From A Dry Camel’ and Led Zep's ‘When The Levee Breaks’, run upwards of seven minutes, and none the worse for it."

And this has me doubled over!

"Another metal innovation, perhaps the most obvious, would be the overwhelming emphasis on instrumental work rather than vocals. Save Uriah Heep, there have hardly been any groups in heavy metal with elaborate group vocals. You just stick a guy up before the mike, preferably the member of the band that can bop around the best, and let him go. As a result there have been some strange vocal styles, from Mark Farner's quavering shriek to Ozzy Osbourne's atonal yelp. "

And, further down the column:

"Now where was I. Why the Raspberries are heavier than Grand Funk. No, that's not it. Why DANCE OF THE LEMMINGS by Amon Duul II is the greatest album in the history of the universe (at least one certain rock critic by the initials HSF thinks so). No, that's not it either. I don't know much about Amon Duul. But I do know about Hawkwind. Hawkwind: aluminum: post-metal. Metal! It all eventually leads back to that catch-all of the rock and roll spectrum, heavy metal. If Led Zep would just record ‘Walk Don't Run’ or ‘Pipeline’, the whole convolution would be complete."

Very funny stuff.

Svetonio and uzn007 like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cream suffered from "weak material"?

I guess so if you really look that their body of work. It was pretty spotty, but the stuff that was good was really good.

I definitely think that guys like Lester Bangs and such viewed "heavy metal" as a bad thing and labeled bands as such as a pejorative. I'd certainly agree that for fans of heavy music it wasn't a bad thing and was certainly interchangeable with 'heavy rock', 'hard rock', or 'heavy music'.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Great stuff.

7. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

And I suppose his song "heavy music" is your favorite one from his repertoire...

Holy Diver likes this.
  8. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Is it difficult for you to understand that the people on this forum that are non english talker as native tongue have difficulties to express themselves with the finesse that is requested when the subject begins to go deeper and deeper ? There's one thing I find laughable, it's the way you seem to be offended by the opinion of others that doesn't exactly share you narrow minded opinion on this subject. Is it that difficult for you to understand that you have an opinion on the subject that is not shared by everyone here ? It's an evidence that the term heavy metal was utilized by people before the NWOBHM even if some people had never heard that term before 1980.

Jimmy Agates, Svetonio and Zeki like this.
  9. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Meatloaf for me - the Beatles of Heavy Metal

Svetonio, Holy Diver and GodShifter like this.
  10. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

And what's your strict definition?

11. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

12. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

jay.dee likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think he outlined it did he not?

jay.dee likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

jay.dee and Svetonio like this.
  15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

THANK YOU

(...) Deep Purple’s triumphant show at 1974’s California Jam was covered by Lee Langley and holds the honour of the first mention of the term ‘heavy metal’ in the Guardian: ‘The lights blaze, the vast speakers tremble and boom: Deep Purple is a heavy metal group: hard driving rock. Excitement. You can feel the beat thumping inside your rib cage, taking over your body, battering your ear drums, possessing you.’ (...)

jay.dee likes this.
  16. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

At the end of the day "Heavy Metal" is about being in the moment banging yer head, raising yer fist in the air, raising yer beer in the air & not giving a **** what genre hair-splitting nerds think.

Nickslikk2112 and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  17. dmiller458

I don't have a problem with anyone disagreeing with me. I have a problem with people taking what I say out of context. At a certain point, I have to figure that it's deliberate.

18. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Scorpions Lovedrive album had some heavy songs, heavy enough to match up with Judas Priest. The Scorps became a bit more commercially oriented after that. But their World Wide Live album is one of the most ear-splitting things ever made.

19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Starz Coliseum Rock (LP 1978, New Jersey)

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Blackout is one of the heaviest albums I know. Pure metal.

Motorcity supernaut and Curveboy like this.
  21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

That is exactly what the guy you are arguing is saying too. You are essentially agreeing with him, but you are misrepresenting his argument because of language issues.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Moxy Ridin' High (1977 LP, Toronto)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yes, I had that one too. I really liked the Scorps for quite a while.

Blackout does contain one of their hit singles 'No One Like You' which is one of the songs I was referring to as a bit more on the commercial side. It's a good song, but it's pretty clearly aimed at being radio-friendly.

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Yesterday And Today Dreams Of Egypt (Struck Down LP, 1977, San Francisco)

25. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Pagan Altar Judgement Of The Dead (The Time Lord LP, Sweden)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    ceddy10165 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.