Who are the most underrated guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Thinking of current players who are under 50, I’ll go with Neal Casal currently of the Chris Robinson Brotherhood, and formerly with Ryan Adams’ Cardinals (he came on in 2005).

He isn’t flashy, he’ll be staying within the constructs of the song, and then as many Brotherhood songs allow him to do he’ll take off into spaceland. I greatly enjoy hearing we he goes in those moments, and he’s very good at seamlessly passing over to the keyboards where sometimes I’m not exactly sure when the keyboards taking over, which sounds idiotic because they’re such different instruments. He’s not just a “spacey” player as he also has B-bender that can make him sound somewhat like Clarence White. The band draws covers from a wide range of artists (Byrds, Steppenwolf, T.Rex, VU, Hank Ballard, too many to list) and so it’s interesting to hear his approach to songs that you know well.

He also was behind the “between the sets” music for the Fare Thee Well shows, which perfectly encapsulates his ability to show an influence but not carbon copy it.

Oh, and he's far better than my attempt at describing his abilities. :laugh:

Slim Zooms, Jack, twowwheels and 3 others like this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Michael Hedges.

Who I saw live in Pittsburgh.

In the front row.

Andy Summers doesn't get enough credit, either.

I saw him live in Florida.

In the front row.

When the Police were in town decades ago.

[​IMG]

These were actually the only shows I've ever been in the front row for.

Except for the time I made my way up to the front of the stage at a Billy Joel concert sometime around 1979 or 1980.

3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Preach It, Musicman!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. Osterdeich

Osterdeich Member

Tim Renwick is my choice.

Before Peter White joined Al Stewart's band (and went on to have his own fame after a long time with Stewart) Renwick handled most of the leads. This includes the leads on "Year of the Cat," but he really stretches out on two songs from Modern Times: the title track and especially "The Dark and Rolling Sea." His playing is very lyrical and tasteful—it's surprising he rarely if ever made guitar hero lists.

He's a respected player who has toured with both Gilmour and Waters solo as well as Eric Clapton.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Todd Rundgren not only coukd play inspired lead guitar, but slso move on stage as well.

Slim Zooms and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

(the late) Sam Andrew of Big Brother; Gene Cornish of The Rascals; Carl Giammarese of The Buckinghams; Michael Allsup of Three Dog Night; (the late) Don Rich of Buck Owens' Buckaroos; (the late) Terry Kath of Chicago; Mike Nesmith.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  7. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Oopps...I meant to say Roy Clark. Sorry bout that. As far as I know Dick Clark didn't play guitar...:laugh:

Osterdeich likes this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Gort, please ban the use of the word underrated as synonymous with unknown. Thanks.

9. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

He's dead but James Honeyman Scott

Deja Doh, Moshe and Desolation Row like this.
  10. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

Dick Dale

guitarman1969 likes this.
  11. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I hate to be that guy, but Michael Hedges and Andy Summers are in no way underrated. They are both very well known and extremely highly regarded.

12. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Eddie Roeser of Urge Overkill

TSWisla likes this.
  13. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Shelagh McDonald
    Paul Page who I'm not sure is still playing

Jim Duckworth who I wish there was a lot more easily available by

Oscar Moore King Cole trio geezer quite stunning.

Roger Saunders who may not be on officially released disc yet. Allmen Joy were a very undersung San Francisco psych band who are better known as a supporting act on a few period posters.

Darby Slick
    love his raga guitar style but again wish there wasa lot more of him recorded from the time. He took off to India at the time that Grace joined teh Airplane so there isn't more of him from the time.

Charlie Pritchard wish somebody would either reissue Conqueroo From the Vulcan gas Co or make a new compilation. It's been like 30+ years since that came out.

Guy Kyser possibly mainly in tandem with Roger Kunkel as the twin guitar throust of Thin White Rope. About the best twin guitar thing since Television. Though I may be missing more recent competition.

Francis A Carr likes this.
  14. jricc

jricc Senior Member

For me it's Marshall Crenshaw and Dave Edmunds, both great artists and guitarists.

15. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Piece Thompson who sadly died earlier this year.

16. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I don't think he's under rated as everyone I know and EVERY musician I have ever met think Roy was awesome. Roy in 1975

[​IMG]

Slim Zooms and Wounded Land like this.
  17. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Mark Sandman (RIP) - between his 2-string slide and unitar bass guitars, no one ever did more with less.
    [​IMG]

18. Mike from NYC

Coco Montoya and Joey Delgado - both great guitarists who enough people haven't heard. And Mike Zito too![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Larry Mc likes this.
  19. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Vince Gill and Nils Lofgren

20. Mike from NYC

I think many of you are confusing under-rated and not well known or popular which are 2 entirely different things.

I don't know anyone who has listened to early Chicago ever say Kath wasn't anything but a great guitarist. The same is true for Jim McCarty who I saw perform with Mitch Ryder and Buddy Miles Express as anything less than great.

Vince Gill is a highly rated guitarist as is Nils.

21. Matt Barone

Matt Barone Forum Resident

Did anyone mention, Leo Kottke, or even Steve Tibbetts? Big fan of both!

22. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

23. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

Steve Lukather. So many fantastic solos and a great singer and songwriter to boot.

24. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Thanks for that clarification

Natvecal. and Digital Morphine like this.
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Don't worry.

You're not "that guy".

And someone can be "very well known" and "extremely highly regarded"...and still be underrated.