Who are the most underrated guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Marty Willson Piper.

Greg Gee, vonwegen, karmicg and 3 others like this.
  2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Justin Hayward has already been mentioned so I'll mention Pete Ham.

And, yes these guys are/were in well known bands, but I've never seen either of these guys mentioned in any magazine or internet "greatest guitarists lists".
    My theory is..players in pop style bands known for 3-5 minute songs aren't considered because they play concise solo's in a pop song format and don't usually get a chance to stretch out and show their chops.

I saw Badfinger live and Ham was... Cream era Clapton-esque. :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

The correct word is "underappreciated", not underrated. That's what annoys me about the onslaught of "underrated" threads that plague this site. The OP never uses the proper terminology.

5. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Showing my age, Pete Townsend is a great guitarist, but was competing with Hendrix and Clapton in the guitar god era

BDC, vonwegen and Bananas&blow like this.
  6. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Agree with both of these. Dharma always amazes me and Bolin has been a hero of mine since '76.

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

TERRY KATH (1946-1978) - Gone Too Soon

In an era of rock dominated by the likes Jimi, Townshend, Santana, Frampton, Van Halen and Schenker, it was easy to overlook the absolute genius of someone like Terry Kath. Quite possibly it is because he played with Chicago, who were jazz-pop, and not really factored into the rock scene, even though Chicago’s musicians as a whole were absolutely amazing.
    Tragically, Terry Kath passed away in 1978 due to an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  8. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

I just saw him last weekend at a Linda Ronstadt tribute playing solo lap steel. Always incredible to see how effortlessly he plays, and how it's never "too much".

steelinYaThighs and Arkay_East like this.
  9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

In your defense, two of them are closed to comments and the other hasn't had regular posts in more than 2 years.

There's a point in the new member FAQs that says, 'don't revive an old thread, start a new one.'

edit: I see @Glenn Christense made my first point for me.

10. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Peter Koppes of The Church is an amazing lead guitarist. He never seems to get the credit he deserves.

Greg Gee, karmicg, DHamilton and 2 others like this.
  11. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

There are a ton of instrumental guitarists. But they are more unknown than underrated (Dimitar Nalbantov, Michael Harris, Goncalo Pereira and so on).

I would say that Vito Bratta from White Lion is pretty underrated - He created many truly mesmerizing guitar solos.

bru87tr and mertoo like this.
  12. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I think some are confusing unknown with underrated.

Roy Buchanan along with Danny Gatton are often called the world's greatest unknown guitarists.
    Both VERY highly rated by people who know them.
    God I miss them both ...

13. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Not sure of the veracity of this anecdote, but..... "According to [Chicago's] saxophonist Walter Parazaider, after the show, “This guy came up very quietly and tapped me on the shoulder. He says, ‘Hi, I’m Jimi Hendrix. I’ve been watching you guys and I think your guitarist is better than me.”

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  14. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Teddy Bunn Oscar Almen ,both better guitarist than Clapton ,Page,Hendrix ,Joe Pass,Chet Atkins ect

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

bru87tr and YMC4 like this.
  16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've heard something similar about Hendrix and Kath before, and I'd believe it. Hendrix was very humble and, apparently, very generous with praise. He once told Robert Fripp "Shake my left hand; it's closer to my heart."

William Smart and Scooter59 like this.
  17. sami

sami Mono still rules

I don't know about 'underrated', but maybe 'unsung' compared to the usual suspects:

Steve Cropper
    Marshall Crenshaw
    Chet Atkins
    Howard Roberts
    Tommy Tedesco
    Grady Martin
    Reggie Young

... among others.

18. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

Ollie Halsall is a fairly underappreciated guitarist. He is primarily known for being
    Kevin Ayers' guitarist as a member of The Soporifics. Additionally, he played guitar on "The Rutles" '78 album. He has a solo album that remains unreleased that I would love to get my hands on which Robert Fripp had produced. Finally, he is, relatively speaking, not very well known as his whole career was jeopardized by a heroin addiction where he sabotaged some very good opportunities. He died in '92 from an overdose.

On another note, I also think that Sterling Morrison was an underappreciated guitarist when he played with The Velvet Underground.

19. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

another under rated? (under appreciated) one is Doyle Bramhall III .......seen him with Clapton....the guy has got it...

Greg Gee and Osterdeich like this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Bucky Pizzarelli, to the extent anyone maintains he is not the best one alive today :)

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I've always thought this..nothing to do with his recent passing...Greg Lake 9(I know it's for another thread by I also consider him one of the most overlooked vocalists in Rock)..

22. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

My answer to this question was always Alex Lifeson, but he has been getting the recognition he deserves as of late..Although maybe still not enough so I still vote for him :p

51IS, SirMarc, basie-fan and 2 others like this.
  23. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

you are so right.....another guitarist, we've all heard 150,000 times, but I never heard his name mentioned even once, is Davey Johnstone of all the Elton John recordings...he's a very solid player...no one ever even mentions the guy.

24. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Danny Kortchmar

A6mzero, bru87tr and Mike Campbell like this.
  25. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

My wife says:

Prince
    Robbie Robertson