Who are you currently obsessed with?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Sep 9, 2014.

1. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

St Vincent

2. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Bob Dylan.

I’ve listened to him here and there over the years, owned a few albums, but never caught the bug... until now.

There’s a wealth of stuff to explore and i am loving it. I must admit, after 12 odd years of being obsessed with jazz/improv, it’s kind of nice to be doing a deep dive on a big name, mainstream artist. So much of his work is in print, IN STORES, and affordable. I’m having a great time. I’m in that ‘early days of collecting an artist’ sweet spot where i can walk in to a brick and mortar and there will almost certainly be albums that i want/need in stock. It’s been a while since i’ve had that and again, it’s nice.

So much music to listen to, youtube videos to watch, books to read...

The MEZ, Paully, Dave Hoos and 3 others like this.
  3. quietlife

quietlife Well-Known Member

The Cramps and Julian Cope, two of my absolute favourites but also read a biography of The Cramps recently which re-ignited my interest and also reading Cope's autobiographies at the moment.

Jarra Lad likes this.
  4. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

Gene Clark; I am surprised I was not aware of his song writing and singing until recently. "Polly" is an outstanding example. There are other excellent artists who have covered the song, but his version is my favorite.
    Karl Blau is a local artist to the Pacific Northwest who's vocals deserve more recognition. I have found myself listening to a lot of Ann Wilson, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Annie Lennox and Karl recently. I would urge people to give a listen to "Introducing Karl Blau".

The MEZ likes this.
  5. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Paul McCartney.

[​IMG]

6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm obsessed with turning my Tidal collection into a CD ripped file collection in what will be a very expensive obsession. Last July I began using Tidal as a means to discover new music but I quickly made a decision that I could collect new music by using the Tidal service. For a couple of different reasons I've changed my mind and want to use it only for my original purpose. Now I am left with a rather extensive list of over 100 albums I want to add to my collection. The search is obsessive both locally, on this site, eBay and Discogs. I won't be buying myself any new socks for awhile.

7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I recently stumbled upon a CD at the local library that amazed me. It's "Queen of Denmark" by John Grant. I might vaguely remember seeing a review in MOJO or something in 2010, but I was totally unfamiliar with Grant's music. I've been listening to Vic Chesnutt lately, so perhaps my mind was open to some more soul baring songs. Musically, the album sounds like a cross between Elton John and Nilsson. Very 1970s singer-songwriter, complete with vintage-sounding synth lines. The lyrics are darkly humorous and personal. The title track is kind of a sideways take on the song "Without You" with a lacerating "Positively 4th Street" attitude. Now that I think about it, a comparison to Chris Bell's work wouldn't be too far off the mark.

I've listened to samples of Grant's later work and some of it seems more dance/electronica influenced. But he also has a live album where he's backed by an orchestra, which seems like it would be perfect for him. I look forward to exploring further.

Muzmus and enfield like this.
  8. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Microdisney.

Irish band, Rough Trade / Virgin label, four albums 1984 to 1988.
    Producer John Porter (The Smiths) did some work on their debut.
    Did a bunch of Peel Sessions also.
    Ought have been massive.
    Think Smiths songs with Lloyd Cole production and Prefab Sprout arrangements.
    Sadly never really were huge.
    Reformed this year.
    Dublin and London shows.
    Been playing them non stop.
    Great band. Non initiated could do worse than to investigate.

Sammy Waslow and enfield like this.
  9. Escalon

Escalon Well-Known Member

I somehow knew it would become yet another music/vinyl obsession...I tried to deny it....forget about it....pretend it didn't exist...but I can't resist anymore and it's happening: Captain Beefheart!

10. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Not totally obsessed but, The Walker Brothers. Buying their early stuff at the moment.

11. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Zappa for about 32 years now. He has that effect on people!

The MEZ and BlueSpeedway like this.
  12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Peter Murphy | Paul McCartney | Florian Fricke

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Stumbled across a biography of Dusty Springfield about a month ago, and after reading it, well....I think we know how this story goes...

maxwell2323 likes this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Frank Zappa--Mothers Of Invention

The MEZ likes this.
  15. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

1. Meghan Trainor (Also my big celebrity crush :love:)
    2. KISS (My favorite band of all time)
    3. The Beatles (Don't think I need to elaborate)

16. sleeptalker

sleeptalker Forum Resident

Steven Wilson & Porcupine Tree
    King Crimson

Crimson jon likes this.
  17. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers

The MEZ likes this.
  18. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I'm really curious to know why?
    I do not use streaming services, nor do I purchase CDs. But I too insist on having a massive collection of digital files. I've exceeded 3TB at this point. Buying CDs though no longer appeals to me whatsoever and would actually be happier buying cool socks.

19. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Jim Keltner.

20. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

My secretary

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The Rolling Stones!
    But have been since the early 80's &
    now have 1400 of their records plus endless books, tour programs, fanzines, autographs, memorabilia
    Urmmm.........you get the picture ........completely nuts!

The MEZ likes this.
  22. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

The La's
    Spiritualized

trawling lots of old live boots from them both

youngchoulin likes this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

My most recent obsession was with Dylan, but I overdid it and got burnt out a bit.
    Before that, up til last year I was obsessed with Springsteen,
    but once he started his $850-a-ticket Broadway residence I lost a lot of interest after losing all respect for him. (yes I know there's a few $75 ones and a good deal at a "mere" $450; he fleeces the fans for whatever he can)

24. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Nomeansno
    Snuff
    Public Image Ltd.
    The Flaming Lips (post-Mystics stuff that until now I hadn't paid all that much attention to)

25. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The Danny Kirwan/Bob Welch era of Fleetwood Mac.

The MEZ likes this.