Who can hear above 20Khz?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thermionic Vinyl, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Say hello to deafness!

basie-fan and Chooke like this.
  2. Grant

Oh gawd!

3. Grant

Oh geez!

The FRiNgE likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I can turn the volume up to eleven, (although I never do), so does that count for anything?

I can also hear hiss on a Steve Hoffman mastering, without turning the volume up too loud, does that count for anything?

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

:wave:

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

As a violinist, do you lose hearing in your left ear more than your right due to the left ear being so close to the violin? A violin can play loud.

basie-fan and Grant like this.
  7. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Lol, that's a bit like being fried by X-rays in outer space to show that some humans can perceive ultra violet light.

8. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Yes, a violin can most certainly play loudly! On the other hand a well-designed instrument projects a pattern that is very much away from the player. With my current violin it always amazes me when I hear recordings done in a hall just how loud it is in the room relative to what I hear under my ear. I did a gig with pipe organ and operatic soprano a couple of weeks ago and we recorded it just to hear the balance as where we were placed it was hard to determine. I wasn't working all that hard at it, but it turned out I was running over them both and needed to back off a bit. From my perspective I had no indication whatsoever.

For note-learning and technical practice I have long used what is called a "practice mute" (big, heavy brass thing) that absorbs almost all vibration, not quite to the "silent violin" level, but not so far off. It not only saves the family listening to the drudge work, but takes no toll on my ears as well.

To answer the original question, my left ear is actually slightly more acute than the right, though I cannot speak for other violinists.

basie-fan likes this.
  9. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

Had my hearing tested at work for ****s and giggles. I'm only 22 and can't hear anything above 12 kHz. :shake:

10. russk

russk Forum Resident

Don't feel bad. That's not actually surprising for your age range and generation. Hearing loss is becoming more prevalent in millennials and down than it was in previous generations. Personal electronics i.e. headphones/earbuds and diet are the likely culprits.

formu_la, Rolltide and basie-fan like this.
  11. Tamla Junkie

Im a medical physicist, and I spend a lot of time around extremely loud MRI machines and pther imaging devices (prototypes and experimental machines, not polished commercial stuff from say Siemens). I'm positive a lot of the loss is work related.

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Don't pay for speakers with a super tweeter.

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Time to specialize in full range loudspeakers! Lowthers, Fostex and the like. Most of the music is in the mid range anyway.

Chooke likes this.
  14. Tamla Junkie

I guess my Quads are totally adequte now...

15. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

22, good to 18k. Frankly a bit surprised given my normal listening volume and amount of unprotected metal concerts I've attended.

16. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

True. String and wind instruments don't produce significant harmonics above 12 kHz, so what you're missing is just the upper harmonics of cymbals mostly.

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Shiver and Helom like this.
  18. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

For a good test pick up a dog whistle. The frequency of the whistle is typically around 21 to 22 kHz.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  19. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

And WHUMP-mobiles, which seem to be an exclusively young-male phenomenon.

20. TheRavenPoe

TheRavenPoe Forum Resident

15.6 is max without a headset and I'm not sure of the individual ears. An explosion perfed my right ear drum in 04 and I feel like that's the side I always get the tinnitus ringing in. The audio has stopped playing and I feel like I still hear it, lol.

21. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Active Member

Fortunately that's right around where I'm at. Knew there was a reason I liked full range drivers so much.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I cannot hear above 20khz nor see 20/20. It's just a bad number for me in general.

Bingo Bongo and The FRiNgE like this.
  23. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Basie-fan is right, at about 12kHz to 13 kHz the percussive instruments and perhaps a little of the brass instruments are at about their limit for their timbre and tonal quality. The human voice is at about 10 kHz for quality, at about 4kHz for intelligibility of speech. (perhaps 12 kHz for a soprano's vocal quality... maybe a few beyond that too) The triangle goes to 20 kHz and beyond. Music most generally does not extend beyond 16 kHz... just a little harmonic content above 16 kHz, sensed and appreciated by young ears, but not missed when it's gone. (not much there)

In reproduced music, the chances of any waveform displaying 20 kHz and above will be mostly distortion artifacts from the playback equipment. (or recording)

I have found it fascinating. that in a hearing test my ears are good to just over 13 kHz, however still able to sense the air in music that extends beyond my upper limit. Maybe it's just the ease by which the music I do hear is being perceived, or something else. I have read that the ears do sense sound pressure. However I wonder if these out of range frequencies are sensed only within the context of other frequencies within hearing range? ... if that makes any sense? This would be an interesting test.

basie-fan and russk like this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about TV picture quality.
    Oled
    HD.

All the same, a blur.
    Hearing might be gone, but what about your eyes ?

25. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Correction: :doh:
    Percussion frequency limit is specific to the instrument, cymbals to 20 kHz, and can go higher, but most of its harmonic character 16 kHz and below.
    A snare drum also is very wide range to 20 kHz, but also most of its sonic signature below 16 kHz.
    A timpani maybe to 6kHz, (estimated) a floor tom about the same... although the attack from a stick may be to 10 kHz.
    A full symphony orchestra, I would say 95% or more of its total bandwidth is within 30 to 16 kHz. For ears up to 12 kHz, perhaps this person hears about 90% of the music young ears do with a range to 20 kHz, (unless we are listening to bats, cymbals and triangles) and hearing also differs according to hearing sensitivity, not just frequency range.

These are estimates and in part according to my "acoustic memory" of what music sounded like when I was 16.
    A Telecaster played through a Princeton Reverb sounds exactly the same as always, since its frequency range does not extend much beyond 8 kHz

:disgust: .... amended 'cause my previous comment about percussion was vague, and really not accurate.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.