Who can hear above 20Khz?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thermionic Vinyl, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

bats and dogs.

Dan C, Tim 2, basie-fan and 1 other person like this.
  2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Better to stay away from the earbuds methinks, suggested is a nice pair of Sennheser HD-600 or other quality headphone.

This is extraordinary, wow!! My best measured upper limit was somewhere between 16 kHz and 18 kHz at age 24, (or 25) when I purchased the CBS STR-101 test record for my AR turntable. I could easily hear the 16 kHz tone, but not 18 kHz.

At age 62, I am good to 13.5 kHz.

anorak2 and Fiddlefye like this.
  3. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

As a kid I used to go a bit crazy with all of the noises that household appliances and such made that no one else could hear. The whine off the TV set was horrendous. I was glad when I stopped hearing all the high frequency racket so much. I fully understand why our dog has to leave the room when I'm practicing double stops on the violin as the resulting harmonics must be wild to his ears.

4. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

When I had my ears checked the Doc said I was good to 16300Hz,good for my age.He also said he hasn't tested anyone that reached 20,000Hz.

Tim 2 likes this.
  5. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Last time I checked my hearing was dropping out around 19 or 20 kHz

6. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

Harry F. Olson at RCA defined "high fidelity" as 30 Hz -15 kHz. I'd rather have a system that does 30 Hz to 15 kHz (or in my case, 12 kHz) extremely well, than try to kludge things out to 20 kHz ot beyond.

timind likes this.
  7. creatveHappiness

creatveHappiness Member

Hi I have a rare genetic condition called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I have two sub-types, one is extremely rare (40 cases worldwide appx.), and the other is rare but not nearly as rare. (hEDS & pEDS) Each of my parents had one sub-type then I became (+siblings) lol. Anyways, my whole family and I looked up a video on YouTube at 99 kHz (99,000 Hertz), and surprisingly we could all hear it. We then tried higher frequencies but at 100,000 kHz we couldn't hear at that point. Note we were doing this with earbuds (we could also hear from the other side of the room the high frequency playing from the earbud.) Obviously we thought, "this isn't accurate it's probably not like legit"; but we also thought it was a little true since we all have had misophonia/phonophobia/hyperacusis for years. Then a few weeks later my little brother had a audiologist appointment for hearing and communication testing. At the end of the appointment we asked the audiologist to check high frequencies. He checked 20 kHz and -20 decibels and my brother heard it. The audiologist was baffled and said to us that the chances of being able to hear that are close to 1 in a billion. What I was saying before about the genetics... the chances of that genetic situation is close to 1 in a billion or even less. Depending on the flexibility and length and how new the cells in the outer hair cells of the inner ear of the mammalian cochlea (lets just call them hairs), that will affect how high of a frequency people can hear. The connective tissue disorder hEDS makes it that there is too much collagen and therefore leading to hyperflexibility, hypermobility, etc., meaning that it can give the effect of having all your collagen in your body similar to that of a baby. So if your hairs are hella flexible then that's probs why we can hear like dat. peace,
    you owe me three paychecks.

like this if you think this guy should give me his paychecks like he promised

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Sorry, I don't believe you. And even if I did, you have to convince my doctor in order to collect on the bet.:targettiphat:

edit: Forgot to mention I'm unemployed, no paycheck to be had.:shtiphat:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Wngnt90 and The FRiNgE like this.
  9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'm 46, and can't hear a damn thing above 14 kHz - does that mean I've lost at least 40% of my arguing rights? :unhunh:

Starts rolling off at about 12.5 kHz, too.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Zo - you're feeling it with your lap?:biglaugh:

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I am 45 and am about the same, methinks.

12. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

In my 30s and I'd be surprised if I can even hear 15 after years of maxed out headphone listening and many concerts without earplugs.

Kristofa likes this.
  13. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

My hearing tests I get annually or bi-annually at work only go as high as 15k hertz and I can hear most of those tones at various levels of intensity.

14. The FRiNgE

That guy's fibbing to be sure, No way anyone hears above 20kHz on you tube. You tube frequency resp in hi rez stops at about 18kHz. (better than expected actually, max audio quality at 450p as currently set up, higher rez setting affects only picture quality... as far as I know the current freq response at 450p is the equivalent of the previous at 1080p )

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Michael Sutter and anorak2 like this.
  15. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

You should donate your ears to medical science when your gone.

Drifter likes this.
  16. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I had my hearing checked not to long ago... It depends on what dB the frequency was generated at, I can hear up to around 22kHz but that frequency had to be increased by at least+10dB, while at 20kHz I was only down around -5dB, and at 18kHz I was spot on. Those upper frequencies gave me one hell of a headache though. :wtf:

17. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

Haha, I just remembered this and it made me laugh a little bit. I can still hear the dreaded CRT monitor 15kHz or 16kHz whine and the annoying noise switching power supplies make. My friends look at me like i'm crazy when I walk in there homes and they have an older model CRT TV or computer monitor and I tell them to turn it off cause its giving me a headache. :laugh: Sometimes I have to even unplug my cell phone charger and Sirius XM adapter cause I can hear the HF noise it makes.:o

18. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Got to 18k on that, which is surprising (if it's accurate) given I'm 40 and have hardly looked after them...!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  19. The FRiNgE

The sound level brick-walls to zero at 18kHz on you tube, so your hearing may be better than this.

20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

There's probably aliaising or other noise are artifacts associated with whatever HF test tones people are "hearing" on YouTube. If one really wants to know, they need to start with audiological test gear that is known to be flat, accurate and noise free up to 20kHz, and your typical headphones, laptop and YouTube ain't it.

Dave, timind, Michael Sutter and 2 others like this.
  21. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Interesting, ta, I'll try another...

22. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Please tell us what earbuds or headphones or loudspeakers exist that can produce any frequencies beyond 20KHz. If a transducer can’t produce the frequency, how can it be heard?

23. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Youtube audio sampling rate is 44.1 kHz, so it can't carry that kind of signal. Comments on the "99,000 Hz" video are disabled, wonder why ..

24. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I had my hearing tested by a doctor last last winter. I had surgery of the thyroid gland, and the doctor checked my vocal cords before and after the surgery and also tested my hearing (because he's a ENT physician).

So I was excited to find out about my hearing range. I heard every tone they played, and they said, great, everything ok. And I asked: how high do I hear? And they said: 8000 hz. And I said: I once tested myself and could hear 14-15000, and they said: we don't test above 8000. (or was it just 5000?). I didn't bother to explain why I wanted to know because I could sense they were not interested in the wonderful world of audiophile high frequency detection.

andybeau, The FRiNgE and timind like this.
  25. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

68 years old- 11kHz upper limit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.