Who Else Collects Music That Their Partner Actively Loathes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Thompson, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

What era Simple Minds? Would have thought everything from 1984 onwards is easily digestible...

2. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I think she's a bit more ok with the early more synth oriented stuff, but she loaths the mid 80s onwards eras.

DTK likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's interesting, would think the opposite goes for many casual SM listeners :).

shadow blaster likes this.
  4. francocozzolives

francocozzolives Well-Known Member

Surely music also has tactical potential; if you need to get rid of the wife for the night because 4 of your buddies are coming to your house to have a football and beer night then play:

Meyer likes this.
  5. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Yeah but she's not really a mainstream listener, seldom goes for the radio friendly stuff. She likes PJ Harvey among others.

LivingForever likes this.
  6. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I'm lucky, the "no go" lists at my house are small. My wife doesn't really want to listen to anything by/with Frank Zappa or Mike Patton, I don't really want to listen to anything by Camper van Beethoven or The Grateful Dead or John Denver.

We both love King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Budgie, Mountain, Nazareth, Hawkwind, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Ozric Tentacles, Queen, The Who, Tool, etc. We have areas of overlap with some artists, such as John Zorn and Flaming Lips.

I'm not sure I could be with someone who didn't share my enjoyment of music.

7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

My wife absolutely hates Tommy and Aqualung. Close behind is anything by Neil Young, Bob Dylan or Steely Dan. She also dislikes anything prog. So, she hates or dislikes most of my music lol. There's a reason I have a man cave/stereo room and headphones. She's a really cool lady though, so all is good...

Bananas&blow likes this.
  8. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

No woman no cry

9. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Oops!

10. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

And Night Dreamer?

DTK likes this.
  11. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Yeah, I know what you mean: Dylan, Tom Waits ("they can't sing"), Emmylou ("too nasal").

Actually, Lucinda Williams my loving partner just about accepts.

But Leonard Cohen - "can't sing".

The worst thing is Miles Davis - "don't like that thin tone".

The good thing is she likes Bonnie Raitt and Ry Cooder (although I tell her that he can't sing - she just likes the guitar tone and the singing of Bobby King & Terry Evans).

Ah well...

12. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

The Doors, Status Quo, and most particularly, Pearl Jam. She'll tolerate pretty much everything else though.

13. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Am I the only one who read the thread title and immediately imagined someone who is so passive-aggressive that they collect music their partner loathes specifically for that purpose? :laugh:

14. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Dylan.

brianplowe likes this.
  15. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I hit the jackpot. My wife shares my love for jazz, soundtracks, Latin, Brazilian, French, Italian, Space Age Bachelor Pad, exotica, moog and sitar. The areas where we differ is that I am more into classical than she, and she is more into rock than I.

16. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Nothing my spouse hates, but then again, compatability of taste in music was an important criterion in our relationship.

17. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

It wasn't at a concert. That much I can tell you.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

19. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

So, she only loathes one specific reggae song? ;)

francocozzolives and the sands like this.
  20. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I didn't catch that in the title, but it is a great idea.
    I am off to record store to get some loathsome CDs !!!!!!

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I just find it interesting when two people are seemingly opposites get together with things so significant as music. Hey, I don't care how you two got together just as long as you did. I can only imagine how, though, like how I met the last woman I was with. :)

22. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Lol, my wife is the same way - she has zero tolerance/attention span for any kind of drawn-out jams, even by bands she likes. And if you really want to drive her away, two words: drum. solo.

Munros1969, Zeki and ehtoo like this.
  23. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

The list would be long. But I still don't use headphones.

ehtoo and DK Pete like this.
  24. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

In my house Rush and Devo cause a lot of commotion and have for a long time so I got bored of using those button pushers even though they work every time.
    Recently we were going on a road trip and I took along some Zappa who I just started getting into recently. I threw that in and waited.
    It took about 30 to 40 mins before I got the furious "WTF???" Take that off now! Zappa did the trick for the next 2 road trips,
    thank you Jimmy Carl Black, but now she recognizes it immediately and I get a "Oh Hell No!"
    Luckily we have a new road trip coming up in a couple of weeks and I found another one that should do the trick just fine.........Steel Panther!

25. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

She's tolerant of most everything, but Kevin Coyne doesn't go over too well.

Beeb Fader likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.