Who Else Collects Music That Their Partner Actively Loathes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Thompson, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Operatic metal, punk and bubblegum, but especially J-pop.

Major areas of commonality are old timey country, gospel and bluegrass, classical, Hawaiian and Bollywood.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Luckily, my wife loves all the best stuff, so music-wise I don't have much to worry about. As for the rare occasions when our tastes haven't exactly met, more often than not repeated plays and perseverance have turned things around in my favour.

3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I have Abba and Stereolab which I'm sure he doesn't get, he has Wild Man Fischer and The Shangri-lahs which I don't get at all. Plus there's Canadian music I have which I probably wouldn't have if it weren't Canadian.

4. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

'I just bought a Japenese pressing of "Weasels Ripped My Flesh," even though I already own both domestic and UK printings. Take that, b!#ch!'

Bananas&blow likes this.
  5. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

My wife and I lived together and had a mortgage before we got married. I'd purchased an engagement ring
    on a bit of a whim and held on to it for about six months while I decided if I'd done the right thing, what the
    right circumstances for proposal would be, etc. Since we lived together in a small place, I had to think of some place
    where she would never look under any circumstances, no matter what. So, for six months, her ring sat within the outer
    box of the KISS box set.

Suncola, PyroMessiah, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

She has been OK with the Blue Note stuff I've played (not a fan, but she doesn't hate it), but when I get into Wayne's 70s-and-onward stuff with the waywardly-pitched soprano, she runs for the hills.

DTK likes this.
  7. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

To interpret the "original post" slightly differently, I don't think there are any musical genres I like that she loathes, but I believe she does loathe the lost space everything takes up in our basement. I have half-finished projects etc. which mean things are not always in nice neat groups.

To be fair, it goes both ways. I'm really not in love with her '80s vinyl, either, of which she has a lot. I do want to be fair though and listen to all of it, since that is a decade I mostly ignored at the time.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  8. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Never been a problem. My wife doesn't give a hoot what I listen to, and vice versa.
    ...her only request is that I don't play GWAR around the kids. :D

9. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Over-Nite Sensation & Apostrophe' Hell?!?!?! If so, I will never make I to Heaven!

10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

She found it and played dumb.

11. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

ME! ME! ME! However, the feelings mutual!!!

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Mrs. Chemguy is quite wonderful; patient with virtually every genre, she is the archetype for all that is spousal tolerance in music appreciation.

Line in the sand: White Light/White Heat...but who can blame her?

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Well I'm single so I don't have to worry about anything like that. I can do or say or listen to anything I want!
    Hahahahahaha!

sad face

14. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

ELO
    Sabbath
    Steely Dan
    Hardcore

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Hmm, can be a bit hit and miss on this one.

Definite hates - Crimson, Dylan (though I can occasionally get away with Oh Mercy), any real 'complex' prog like Yes, Gabriel era Genesis, VDGG

Definite loves - soul, R&B, John Grant, Efterklang, Elbow, Kate Bush, Tori Amos. My arguments that at least 3 of those artists are a bit proggy goes awry.

Lots of stuff in the middle that can go one way or the other. Bob Mould gets a pass as I asked her to marry me on the train home after seeing the 'Copper Blue' gig he did at Shepherd's Bush in 2012.

LivingForever likes this.
  16. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

The former Mrs. Stewedandkeefed could not stomach Tom Waits or Prince. She also once made me take off Neil Young's Tonight's The Night. Did I mention she was the former Mrs. Stewedandkeefed?

Zeki, DTK and Fullbug like this.
  17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I'm in the process of redoing the man cave and got the speakers set up just right. I had her sit in the sweet spot for a song she likes and she said I don't like it, he sounds like he's in the room with me, I like it better from the other room. This is what I'm dealing with lol

18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

The Parachute Man isn't really interested in music. He will put it on in the background on his free Spotify account, but that's about it. And it mostly goes the opposite way. I don't like a lot of what he plays--he likes hip-hop, "synth wave" (which is basically just washes of synthy background noise) and '80s metal. He doesn't comment on my music, he's pretty chill with whatever I play. I listen a lot on headphones, though, so he probably doesn't even know what I listen to most of the time. :)

Suncola, stewedandkeefed, DTK and 2 others like this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

For me ot's almost any rock music any time though there are exceptions. The first artist to come to mind is Tom Waits.
    She appreciates his artistry but can't stand his voice.

20. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Perusing this thread on my anniversary has led me to the conclusion that my wife rocks!
    I'm terrified by how often I've seen Dylan, Waits & Beefheart mentioned. I feel bad for y'all. I get away with anything but Roy Orbison... and I'm working on that.

Now, to more pressing anniversial matters...

21. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

My ex always said I have the musical tastes of a 14 year old girl (I'm 48). He's right and I think that was the beginning of the end!

Bananas&blow and Fullbug like this.
  22. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Pretty much all of it, but I've received formal complaints from various women over the years about the following specific artists:
    Neil Young (voice)
    Pixies (turn that off. now.)
    Royal Trux (what is that sh!t?)

Dave S and Zeki like this.
  23. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

That's just. . . just. . . well, I don't know what that is. It's like we're from another planet from a lot of people.
    I was at home last night agonizing over speaker placement, thinking, I need to make it so the band's not just in the same room with me, but RIGHT NEXT TO MY EARS.

stewedandkeefed and SirMarc like this.
  24. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

The Carpenters
    The Monkees
    Spice Girls
    Abba
    Satanic Warmaster

LivingForever likes this.
  25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

We agree on some things, differ on most, but there's an Elvis Costello gap in particular that is unfortunate.

Fullbug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.