Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffcdo

jeffcdo Senior Member

I switched to JRiver and I'm amazed how well it handles my large library. I still maintain a separate iTunes sub-library only because of my iGadgets (iPhone, iPad, iPod Classics I still use in the car).

2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Wow, quite a lot of venom directed towards iTunes! It's a very bloated and slow piece of software because they've got it doing so many things. Too many, IMO.

I am pretty well entrenched in the Apple ecosystem so iTunes is a bit of a necessary evil. However, it is useful for iTunes Match, which (with a bit of a trick I learned to force-upload so it keeps the right version/mastering of a track) allowed me to get my entire digital music library in the cloud, which is then pushed to my iPhone, iPad and Apple TV hooked into my system. I almost never play the actual CDs anymore. I prefer vinyl at home anyway.

3. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

As a bit of an old(er) guy, I had a little trouble getting into the "digital revolution" several years ago. I did invest in an MacBook Pro and an iPod Classic and a decent set of earphones back in 2008. Digital music became a lot less frustrating, and I think the Apple ecosystem actually helped me, IMHO. I know there's a lot of hate for the Apple here, but that's my experience. Never buy music from iTunes today, but I do use it to rip all my cd's to Apple Lossless. Once had a credit card associated with iTunes, and had that number compromised. Logged out of it, and never logged in again!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  4. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I wondered where the heck that came from! I knew I never would have ordered it - deleted from my sight.

5. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

This. It's also ridiculously bloated, on Windows anyway.

6. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Quick question, how does that work if you have an extensive collection that you have ripped into iTunes. If its in the cloud, the space on the phone is freed up, but is everything shown? Do you have to be in wi fi to access it? Is it instant?

7. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I don't care iTunes and all other similar stuff. I collect vinyl records, CDs, tapes and have some backups on two external harddiscs. I also burn CD-R for my collection, including full-coloured prints of artwork on CD label.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I stopped using iTunes many years ago, around the time I discovered lossless music.
    Apple's refusal to support FLAC was one of my biggest sore points, and it doesn't look like they ever will.

Matt123 likes this.
  9. Matt123

Matt123 Forum Resident

Exact reason I use it. I limit listening of iTunes material to the car since it's the most convenient option. Beats carrying a ridiculous CD vault in my truck. I absolutely have banned listening to iTunes tracks when I'm home and have much better listening options.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Today I despise it as it won't connect to my AppleTV!

11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I subscribed to it to get 'bonus' material and stuff, but in all truth I think it's a cynical moneygrabber. Files you can't either play or burn with more advanced programs and you get the runaround when it comes to lossless formats. No wonder so many people hang on to physical formats...

12. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I use Mediamonkey. My PC has a decent spec, but ITunes eats memory. Also the removal of a number of features has really made me hate it.

13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Works fine for what it is.

Huck Caton and Keith V like this.
  14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I ise it to play and organize my media - for that, I like it to an extent and it's a lot easier for me to use that Windows' default media disorganizer. However the store is a nightmare to try to navigate and I'm sick of updates removing features I liked.

I loved the music app on iOS... 6, I think it was? Or maybe 5? Or hell, maybe it was even 4. Back when all of the apps looked like the clear jelly pill capsules, not this hideous minimalist BS. The music app since whenever that update was has been buggy and there is zero control to it. The artist tab, which I always used, no longer shows you a list of the artist's albums to choose from, but instead plays them all in reverse chronological order. Come on, I just want to see a list of the albums they made and pick one. I hate that. Composers also don't sort via the sorting tab, just alphabetically, and when you click on one it screws up the whole app and you need to reset it.

I haven't updated to the new Apple Music, which is not only a horrible name but a horrible product as well, but I have used it and it's even worse. I'll stick with the terrible one I have rather than the worse one that combines the two things I love more than anything - less control over my own music library, and advertisements.

But for media organizing, yes, I like it more than any alternative.

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have no problem with iTunes.

Pat

Huck Caton likes this.
  16. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Maybe the problem here is using iTunes on a PC, which is horrible!

17. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I like iTunes and I rip all of my CD's to it which is the main way that I listen to music anymore. I can't believe some of the comments on here. People who haven't tried it in years or clearly don't know what they're doing dismiss it as garbage.

Huck Caton and wayneklein like this.
  18. I rarely use iTunes Match for my music unless I'm away from home. Any system has flaws out there and, depending on the amount of songs in your library, the risk of this happening goes up. However, given that there really isn't anything like ITunes Matchout there, I think you're criticism, although valid, is pretty minor myself. The problem with iTunes is that Apple insists on adding more and more features.

For what I use iTunes for, the system performs pretty good.

Most of the criticism here sounds like it comes from people who have rarly used iTunes, are using features that aren't always used and even if they do, they just want to vent about it.

Is it perfect? Nope but show me anything comparable with as many features that is flawless. There really isn't anything.

Most of the folks who are itching about it seem as if they have little to no familiarity with using it to begin with so its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Are things I dislike? Sure but they are, on the whole, pretty minor.

Marzz and zappinnati like this.
  19. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I've been using it for 8 years and have never really had any problems with it. I rip CD's and make playlists with it, but that's about it. I do most of my listening on my iPod Classics and my home stereo system, so I don't really use iTunes on my PC's for listening too much.

However, I've never really liked the fact that you have to use iTunes to delete a song/album. It would be much easier to do that from your iPod if and when you want. I've also never liked the fact that there's no search option for specific years on the iPods. You have to make playlists if you want to listen to songs from a certain year. Also, I'd like it if you could control the information you see on the "Now Playing" screen of the iPod. I'd prefer not to see the artwork box and would rather see the title, artist, album, genre, year and bit rate for each song, but Apple doesn't allow you to do that. Those are all just little quibbles and they have more to do with the device rather than iTunes itself. Overall I'd say the program is good.

20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

That's why I stopped upgrading with 9.

I now feel silly because I still use iTunes for my 21st century version of a cassette deck.

Wait. I'm over it.

21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

How dare you take such a moderate position! Which side are you on?

Gaslight, Stone Turntable and e.s. like this.
  22. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Cant stand it or any apple product.
    The PC version is a resource hog and I dont find it very well laid out.

23. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

I use it and get on with it. Most of the critics on here are way too dramatic for me to take serious.
    I think it's a fine media player. Does its job.
    Where they lost me was with Match and Music never again.

24. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I dislike Apple and will not use any of their products or services.

snowman872 likes this.
  25. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'd be happy to hear a better way. Please share. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.