Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I hate computers and will never, ever use one

2. fsj

fsj Forum Resident

I use it because it's all I know. I have an iPod Classic 120 and I only use iTunes 10. Seems to work ok for what I need but bacsically because I don't know any other way to manage music on my iPod. Do I lke it? Guess so, but only becaues I don't know anything else. I refuse to upgrade Did it once it once and my Windows PC was not happy!

3. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

I don't dislike iTunes, but I use (and prefer) Foobar. Foobar does just fine with my iPod Classic. Just install the 'iPod Manager' component.

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Six pages and not a single comment from the OP.

Buncha wind-up toys on display here.

wayneklein and nightstand68 like this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Difference between computer malware and iTunes? Computer malware is efficiently written code.

vinyl13, Keith V and nbakid2000 like this.
  6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I don't use it as much as I used too. About 2 years ago my computer crashed on me. I needed to install a new hard drive. My music was backed up on external drive. I reloaded my iTunes. 40% of the songs and albums were missed titled or no title at all. I never put my ipod back on...I'm afraid to lose all my music on my ipod. My ipod is stuck in 2013 with about 14.000 songs.

7. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

Personally, I have no issue with it at all - and I've been using it since first release, but exclusively on the Mac platform.
    Performance is fine - iTunes library around 20,000 tracks/2,000 albums/1TB - all Apple Lossless encoded.
    I make extensive use of Applescript to manage tracks - and I have everything tagged with all the information I need (composer, lyrics, etc.).

I appreciate iTunes may to be up to the task of managing a Classical genre based collection, but since I don't have any...

I purchase most of my music in FLAC format, and use either XLD or 'FLACTunes FLAC Converter' to create the Apple Lossless version for iTunes.
    I have Smart Playlists that will highlight tracks that have metadata missing - I'm a tad O.C.D. when it comes to it, but it's probably why I've had no issues over the years.

I have disabled all functionality I do not require, and use it solely for Music and syncing my iPhone.

The only thing I wish iTunes did was automatically adjust the sample rate to match what's playing - but something like BitPerfect provides that functionality, along with memory play.

I can appreciate that iTunes may not be everyone's cup of tea - but it works fine for me.
    There are numerous alternatives for both PC and Mac platforms, and many of them are free, or offer free trials.

I do wish people would stop with the Apple bashing here, or more importantly, bashing the people that use Apple products.
    I personally don't use a PC (at home); don't use an Android phone... but I wouldn't dream of some of the sneering condemnation that seems to be specially reserved for people that buy Apple products.
    Each to their own, eh... or not.

GetRhythm and RolandG like this.
  8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, everything is shown. It will stream on wifi or cellular if you allow it (I do). It's not true streaming because it caches songs you've already played, even if you don't download them to the device (which you can also do). If I'm going out of range, like on a plane, I will make sure I've downloaded some that I want to hear, but under ordinary circumstances it's not an issue. I use my iPhone in the car on a daily basis without downloading anything in advance.

The only issue is the matching algorithm sometimes gets the wrong version of a track...say stereo instead of mono. However, I've figured out a way to "force upload" on a Windows machine (doesn't work on Mac, I've tried). That way I've been able to get my Beatles mono on my iTunes Match without an issue. I'll share how to do it if you're interested.

9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Yes, so how is this different from so many other threads on this forum?

10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Who else dislikes Windows? Microsoft? Android? Adobe? The Zune? The Surface? ThinkPad? IBM? DDT? PCP? LSD? Baked beans? The Yankees? Eli Manning? War? Bees? Do rainy days and Mondays always get you down? :D

GetRhythm and wayneklein like this.
  11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Thanks for the tip.
    I usually go to finder and type the song title in the search box and it's not in the file that is chosen. It's not music I deleted, sometimes it's whole albums that come up missing, that's what is confusing about it all.

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

What do you mean? Just left swipe the song or album.

[​IMG]

mick sakka likes this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I am an apple user, and, to be honest, I've had a lot of trouble with their products, both software and hardware. Last year, after several months of fighting them, "trouble shooting" and trips to the iStore in Greenville, they had to replace my new iMac as unfixable. My new iPhone 6 has already had to be wiped and reinstalled due to black screen when I'd try to pull up an App. And, because my music library (from my own CDs) is so large, I keep the index on my start up drive, but the files on external drives. I can't tell you how fun it was trying to link those puppies back together when I replaced my ancient Power PC...

Of course, I'd stuck with Mac because the Power PC was such a trooper, and the iPhone 4 lasted for years, despite both sides being badly cracked from drops.

14. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

I totally forgot about CoverFlow!!! Didn't even realize it's no longer available...seems like that used to be a major selling/advertising tool for iTunes, FWIW.

15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I don't own and have never owned an "I" anything (Phone, Pod, Pad, Tunes, etc.)

16. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

I've always felt that they never invested much into the interface primarily because they don't have to.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  17. Jimbo1960

Jimbo1960 Forum Resident

No ITunes. I'm now using JRivers Media Center thanks to one of my audiophile friends. It's more complicated to use, but is vastly configurable.

18. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

iTunes is great value for money. :)

gregorya and JimC like this.
  19. Zumba Zumbic

Zumba Zumbic Active Member

I dislike them because they don't sell records.

20. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have no problems using it.i buy music there once in a while.i use it to store a lot of my music that i burn from physical CD's.i listen to it via my iPhone and my Macbook at home through speakers or headphones.no real problem with it.i also buy TV shows.

21. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I dislike it.

22. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Does this eat up data like say, Spotify. I would sometimes be using it on my phone on 3G (I have an iphone4 and purposely haven't updated the software past 6. Think I'll have problems? I have 5 gig data/month

23. I spend roughly 25% of my spare, music listening time hating iTunes and 75% enjoying music through iTunes.

JimC, Gaslight and nbakid2000 like this.
  24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

To be fair, he's posted a few Likes in the thread…

Also, I guess we all should remember that he’s 13 years old (according to his profile page).

25. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

In general I like it. I collect a lot of music on CD and like to use iTunes to make playlists to burn CDs for the car. Also use it to back up iPhone and manage tunes for my iPod. I've never lost any music. I do not particularly like some of the recent upgrades, in that I felt earlier versions of the software were more intuitive.

It's just software, if you don't like it, use a different program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.