Who else loves 'The Wire'?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KevinP, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

One of the greatest shows on TV. And the premier of the final season is--finally!--just days away.

The Wire, Lost and Torchwood--three shows with long hiatuses are finally returning.

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

THE WIRE is Dickens on the Chesapeake. Really amazing, covering the entire gamut of an expired industrial city, from the mayor to the cops to the drug dealers to middle school students.

But if you're uninitiated, try to watch it from the beginning via BET or Netflix. Dunno if the BET reruns are edited.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's an amazingly intelligent and realistic show. It makes every other cop show on TV look like fake melodrama. But it can be a bit of a challenge to new viewers -- it takes a while for the storylines to come into focus, there are dozens of characters (more and more as the series progresses), and the writers and directors don't do any spoonfeeding -- they expect you to pay attention and make connections on your own. If you set out to watch it, watch at least three episodes before you decide whether it's for you.

4. reverber

reverber Senior Member

One of my favorite shows on television. Some of the most amazing actors, many of whom I have never heard.
    This is the last season, no?
    If so, I'm glad theyre going out while still at the top of their game.
    I like the way they have a different artist perform the theme song each year.

Cody

5. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Great show! I caught the first three seasons via Netflix last year while sitting home recovering from surgery. I can't believe I missed this great show first time around.I'm really looking forward to season 5 coming up on HBO.
    A shame it's the last season.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Best. Show. Ever.

Looking forward to Sunday night. On the advice of a friend, I rented all of the other seasons. I was hooked! No other show is as realistic, or has as well-developed characters.

7. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I can't see how they wouldn't be.

I don't want to over-exaggerate here, but The Wire is the greatest TV show ever ever. Ever.

8. Frodis

Frodis New Member

I've never seen it yet they film it downtown here. I understand the crew of the Ace of Cakes (Food Network) show are fans too. I was curious about it when it was mentioned on their show.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

10. jazzlistener

jazzlistener New Member

I am really looking forward to the last season. The Wire has been my favorite show since Homicide went off the air.

11. trucker

trucker Member

Certainly the best cop show I've ever seen. Though really it transcends the genre, same way Deadwood transcends westerns. Gives you such a picture of the complex relationships and all the different strata in a city like Baltimore.

Wish I had HBO. I watched the first four seasons via Netflix...

12. jlevine31

jlevine31 Forum Resident

You can literally watch the same season several times on DVD....there's so many subutelties to the dialogue and the plot. Simply a great show.
    Now what was everyone's favorite season so far? For me, I'd have to say season 4.

13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've seen them all from the first & I think it's even surpassed the Sopranos as my favorite. I just bought seasons 1 & 2 to watch with my wife. She's watched 5 episodes of season 1 & is pretty much hooked.

Favorite season? Four.

14. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Much Love for this show! i just watched the Season 5 first episode last night. Comcast is showing it on HBO on-demand! WooHoo!!!
    The Lie Detector scene is freaking hilarious!

ok, no more spoilers. enjoy season 5! If the rest of the season is like episode 1, it's gonna be a great winter on HBO!
    cheers.....

15. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

My favorite TV show by far. Every season has been terrific. I am looking forward to the new season.

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Try watching this & then watch one of the Law & Orders or CSI: Miami. Yikes!

17. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Hamsterdam.

18. KevinP

Being an educator I have to go with season four as well, but yes, Hamsterdam was an ingenious plot, especially as it wasn't based on an actual event anywhere.

Everybody knows Dominic West (McNulty) is actually British, right? The first time I heard him speak naturally, on a second season DVD commentary, I was wondering why he was speaking in a mock Northern accent and it took me a while before I realised it was his actual dialect. Fortunately he explained it the commentary, that he has a Baltimore dialect coach.

19. KevinP

Check out The Corner. It was written by David Simon prior to The Wire and features many of the same actors, some in very bit parts. I think it was the success of The Corner that HBO decided they wanted more and ended up doing The Wire.

20. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

The greatest tv show ever, the most intelligently written show of all time, absolutely amazing acting, Mcnulty,Omar, Stringer, Marlo, Bunk, Bubbles , "cutty", "Bunny", all amazing characters and actors.

I will mourn the death of this series.

21. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

"The Corner" was great, along with "Homicide" and "The Wire" one of the best things ever on TV

22. trucker

trucker Member

Oh, tell me about it. The rest of my family are big fans of Law & Order, and over the holidays they were glued to those marathons on whatever channel it's syndicated. I won't go near it. I like the actors and everything, but after The Wire it just seems incredibly phony.

23. KevinP

On the season 3 DVD (the only one that actually has some non-HBO produced extras), David Simon complains about the sensationalism of CSI and other crime shows, and brings up a very interesting statistic: in one season of each CSI show, there were more murders than there actually were in the real cities.

I've only watched one episode of CSI. It was after I started watching The Wire. It made me realise how The Wire has ruined regular cop shows for me.

24. secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel New Member

I haven't seen any episodes of this series.. would it be OK to jump right in at the season that is about to start (without spoiling any of the previous seasons!) or should I just start with the first season?

25. trucker

trucker Member

secretquirrel, I'd start with the first season. Get yourself a Netflix subscription if you don't have one and load up your queue. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.