Who else remembers Chiller Theatre?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

Maybe they still show it, I don't know, you can't get New York channels in NC. But it was a mainstay on Saturday night. Great movies like The Crawling Eye. But the weirdest thing was the creepy animated hand that came up out of the ground. It had six fingers!

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

We had Nightmare Theater here with Dr. Cadaverino and his headless sidekick, who also did the puppet Albert The Alley Cat on the weather/news.

[​IMG]

I don't think there's any video of him. Sad.

3. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Oh, my my....I found a video of the good doctor!! This was near the end of his show, now in color and different stage than the early days.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And let's not forget the Monster Chiller Horror Theater, featuring 3D House of Stewardesses...

Tristero, stereoptic, Karnak and 3 others like this.
  7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Hey, somebody else from Milwaukee. I grew up with Dr. Cadaverino, and to this day consider
    it one of the greatest "chiller host" shows from that era in the country. Jack DuBlon was somewhat of a
    legend here in Milwaukee, and it's amazing he could be Cadaverino AND Albert The Alley Cat at the
    same station. His nasty attitude playing the Doc was hilarious, especially when he opened the fan mail
    and gifts, would make some derogatory remark, and then throw the gift into the garbage can!
    Jack's no longer with us, and like you said, there doesn't seem to be any video of him on the net,
    which is criminal. I would love to see reruns of those sixties/early seventies shows at least one more time.

GuildX700 likes this.
  8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Chiller Theater, a forgotten, now remembered childhood memory.

Thanks for the memory.

9. spudco

spudco Well-Known Member

I remember Chiller Theater with Bill Cardille out of Pittsburgh, PA. We watched the show huddled around tiny portable tv with a rabbit ears fuzzy picture located in the upstairs hallway of the "Pearl Palace" (a 4 br, 1 bath, 2 story dump a block from WVU where anywhere from 4 to 8 people lived, partied and attended an occasional class).

Chilly Billy was also the infamous host off Studio Wrestling, various other "movie" shows, and teen dance shows (but he never achieved the popularity of Myron Cope's competing "Polka Party" dance shoe. He had cameos in both the original (as a broadcaster) and remake (as a Sherif) of "Night Of The Living Dead" and fathered the female lead in Romero's "Day Of The Dead".

hi_watt, kevintomb and Dugan like this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I grew up in the Bay Area with Bob Wilkins and Creature Features. Man I loved that show.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

A local channel, I believe it was WNEP channel 16, had "Uncle Ted's Ghoul School" which was along the same lines. Who Uncle Ted was, I have no idea, but the show was very lame, and he was a (very) amateur magician, so he entertained us with prestidigitiation during movie breaks. Another local show was Hatchy Milatchy.

12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

We had the Ghoul and Sir Graves Ghastly as well as a Chiller or Thriller ? theater that played the middle section of Led Zeppelins whole lota love during their logo
    While showing clips of B movie horror like Children shouldn't play with dead things ( I love that movie) run through a video synthesizer.
    That's what i can remember. I miss them days.

13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I sure do. I grew up with CHILLER on channel 11 and CREATURE FEATURES on channel 5.

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

*Raises hand*
    Channel 11 baby!

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

16. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

They had something called "Chiller Theater" in the mid to late 1960's that played on one of the Fresno, CA stations we watched. A lot of those films scared the Hell out of me. But I always watched it every Friday night.

17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Original Chiller Theatre opening.

18. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I grew up watching Chiller Theatre and "Chilly Billy" Cardille on Saturday nights in Pittsburgh. He could be really corny at times but it was fun watching. (I miss those days...:love: )

19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

In Syracuse we had Monster Movie Matinee on Saturday afternoons. Man, such simpler times. Sigh...

20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

We had "Creature Feature" coming out of WSIL in Carbondale, IL in the mid 70's. Caught many a Hammer, Universal and Euro horror.

GuildX700 likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The hand was the best part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.