Who has tube-rolled Audio Note amps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I wasn't a fan of the Amperex sound until recently when my system became more, um, natural sounding. My giant stash of Dutch tubes all came from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio in the mid 1990s, all new old stock in boxes Bugle Boys from 1957-62, ECC82, ECC83, etc. I paid 25 bucks each for them.

They all sound the same to me, and that's a good thing.

You should try Telefunken ECC83s next, make sure they are not fake and have the diamond on the bottom, ribbed or smooth, makes no difference. They can be stamped Fisher or whatever, just so long as they are real Teles.

They have the best midband for me.

Sean Sandoval and raferx like this.
  2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think I'll give those Telefunkens a try then Steve, thanks again for the Amperex recommendation too.
    Just incredible what a difference tubes can make.

jupiterboy likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Once you have Teles and Amperex in the house, that's about all you need for your music moods.

raferx likes this.
  4. raferx

I like the sound of that a lot: keeping it simple.
    I know what I like, and I think you and I share a similar appreciation for natural sound, so having your insight certainly seems to save me a lot of experimenting and cash. The Amperex recommendation was spot-on.
    I could see tube rolling becoming an obsession for some.

5. Steve Hoffman

When I was being "taught" about tubes in the 1990's (I had NO idea before that) I learned about the good stuff from people I trusted and I invested in what they thought were the best of the best. I needed tubes that were not "rare" (at the time) because I needed (or so I thought) a constant supply of NOS of the same type. So I bought 50 or so NOS Teles, Amperexes and a few other types of input tubes to have a stash. I also bought power tubes as well, real Genelex, WE, Mullard, etc.

What I DIDN'T realize is that the first pair of Telefunken tubes I put in my gear would last in there for 20 years! They don't make 'em like that any more..

raferx likes this.
  6. raferx

I'm learning as I go, thanks to more learned people than I (like you and others) here.
    Any suggestions for my EL84 output tubes? Or are the Sovteks just fine?

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Power tubes won't last like the signal tubes, but they will also alter the presentation of the amp. You will be forced to try different combinations in that regard if you keep the amp, or keep buying the stock tubes. Check with the manufacturer though to see what is approved in the circuit. They can also change the power of your amp. I wonder what some NOS Cifte 7320s would sound like?

raferx likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

EL84? I have no idea. Never had much gear that needed them. I have a matched quartet of old GE's (6BQ5 probably made in Europe) that I was saving for my old MATCHLESS guitar amp (like a Vox AC30) and I have a quartet of Mullard that came with a Sherwood integrated I got for nothing.

But, I don't have an amp that uses the tube so I'm in the dark. I've heard (naturally) that Telefunken, Mullard and Amperex are the best. But, it's a question of money and how long a set will last in the OTO. No idea.

raferx likes this.
  9. raferx

I'll do some research, thanks again Steve.
    At this point I'm loving the sound and in no rush to change the stock EL84s the Oto has now.

10. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

In current production, I almost always tend to like Genalex, JJ, and Tung-Sol over Sovtek. I haven't used any of them in an Oto, but my preference has been remarkably consistent across el84 amps. The Genalex are the priciest of the bunch. The others are dirt cheap by NOS tube standards. Well matched quads of all three will run you just over two hundred bucks, and then you can play with them until you're bored.

raferx likes this.
  11. Cor Bulsing

Cor Bulsing New Member

Hoi people,i am new on the forum and already learned more about Audionote tube amp's and tube rolling.
    I bought an AN sut and thought that's it.
    But i liked it so much that i bought à phono Riaa.
    And now i am going to order the Soro SE.
    So you are saying it's better to leave the tubes in the phono Riaa and start with amp.
    Because i do not know what tubes they put in.(at Audionote)
    Are they using NOS-tubes or some Russian or Chinese tubes?
    I have à tube amp now and i like Genelex Gold Lion but in à push pull.6550.
    Now i will need 6L6G tubes,but where to start,pre amp?or leave the originals in?
    I am Dutch but it,s hard to find Amperex or Philips tubes.(Might give them à ring and ask if they have got some left somewhere.)
    Please continue the conversations about Audionote as i started to like their stuff so much that i sold my Linn/Naim/Linn set (with LP-12 and Isobariks)
    All the best with your equipment Cor Rotterdam

raferx likes this.
  12. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Hi Cor Bulsing, welcome to the Forum. I had a complete Nagra/Verity Audio set up and bought some AN ICs and thought that's it. But I liked it so much, that I ended up with a complete AN system. I haven't rolled tubes yet, so I can't help you there.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

14. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Brent Jessee has a supply of Amperex El84 D-getter used pulls. They test well and sound amazing.

15. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Orange Globe with "Made In Holland" printed on them often show up on counterfeits. Look at the side of the plates, if there is a hole on the front AND the back the tube is Japanese.

16. Steve Hoffman

Yes, avoid.

Buy tubes from: Reputable dealer. Ham-fest.

Only.

17. raferx

My AN UK M1 RIAA Phono should be arriving by the end of January (hopefully, I ordered it in early September), and I'll be using the stock tubes in it for at least a month before I start 'rolling. That said, while I'm comfortable with what to look for in the Amperex and Telefunken ECC83(12ax7) tube, I'm not familiar with the ECC88 dual-triode that it shares the output stage with. I've found what seem to similar (equivalent) quality NOS tubes online:

http://tubeworldexpress.com/search?q=6dj8+holland

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/Telefunken-E88CC-6922

I'm thinking these will be great matches?

18. Steve Hoffman

May I ask what you are currently using in your OTO as the tube complement both power and input? Thanks.

19. raferx

Stock Sovteks (that the amp shipped with) for the power section, and a pair of matched (within two per cent) NOS 1966 Amperex Heerleen, Holland factory Orange Globes for the input section. Loving the sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting on some Dario Miniwatts for my M1 RIAA phono stage...

20. Steve Hoffman

I love Frosted Miniwheats. frosted-mini-wheat.jpg

I put some Telefunken ECC83's in the OTO sig. And (I have an extra gain stage) an Amperex ECC82. Nice balance of my two favorite tube types.

I'm using the stock EL-84's as well. They sound really good, actually...

Thanks

raferx likes this.
  21. raferx

Agreed. The Sovteks in the power stage are great. Are you going to 'roll the standard Oto?

22. Steve Hoffman

Maybe. Warren is coming over tomorrow.

raferx likes this.
  23. raferx

Sweet.
    Sounds like a great Friday you've got lined up Steve, cheers.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  24. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

Well, I thought I had a nice new production tube set-up on my Audio Note OTO SE Line Signature Integrated -- Sovtek EL84M and Gold Lion B759. But I can't get the Sovteks to last more than 6 months without some kind of tube failure. I'm thinking of going back to the standard Sovtek EL84 and splurging on the Mullard CV4004. Any other ideas out there?

25. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

(NOS Mullard CV4004)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.