Who here doesn't think that "Blood On The Tracks" is the best Bob Dylan release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

And if not, which is your favorite?

sacsongs likes this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Think i'd have to go with Highway

3. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I think ....yes. My fav.

Licorice pizza and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Highway,John Wesley or Blonde on Blonde are just about tied for lst place IMO.

B. Bu Po, gkella, DeeThomaz and 3 others like this.
  5. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

Meh, I think BotT is a bit overrated actually. The lyrics are among his best, but the music sounds too polished. Anything from 63-66 is preferable imo.

6. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Hmmm, well I usually skip "Idiot Wind" and "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Whatever"--but after I do that, yes, Blood on the Tracks is the best of a long and really amazing career! :)

7. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It's good but not necessarily the best; I'd pick blonde on blonde or highway 61 revisited over it. Also begs the question:

Which blood on the tracks? If you include the New York sessions that were removed as well as the Minneapolis sessions it is a greater piece overall.

Some of the songs drag a little, which is why Tangled often doesn't work well live for example.

I think it is hard with an artist of Dylan's stature to pick a best, because it does no justice to the variety in his work. A bit like saying Kind of Blue is the best Miles Davis; maybe, but only to have Kind of Blue would give you a much impoverished view of the body of work.

Tim

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

You pose that question as if its somehow controversial NOT to consider BOTT his best.

My favorite is Nashville Skyline.

9. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Blonde on Blonde

gmitchel, papatwo, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

If only things were THAT easy;)

I333I likes this.
  11. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always figured that it was, based on what I've read and my own opinion ;).

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

It could have been if he hadn't rerecorded it. Blonde on Blonde is the masterpiece.

13. HillTopMan

HillTopMan Active Member

I like John Wesley and freewheelin' better. Still blood on the tracks is great.

Mr. Explorer and gst510 like this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

Blood on the Tracks is a great album, but Dylan's backing band is ordinary (and I'm generous with that description!)

Blonde on Blonde is the one for me: the lyrics are beyond superlatives, the energy levels are scary, and the backing band is both coiled tight and hang-dawg loose, sometimes in the same song! Nothing else comes close.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

ME.

It may be, however, his best post-classic album.

And i would definitely go for an expanded Bootleg Series release.

kwadguy likes this.
  16. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Love BotT but it isn't my favourite. Being Dylan, I have 3: Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 (awesome on vinyl) and Bringing It All Back Home. If I had to pick one, I'd have to go with Bringing. Ask my tomorrow and you might well get a different answer.

Mr. Explorer, TimM and bhazen like this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's up there, but Dylan has such a big catalog and multiple classic albums. He's not an artist where when you look at his catalog, there is ONE album that clearly stands head and shoulders above the rest.

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

BS release would be superb. Then the Basement Tapes. Then a gospel BS. Then...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

Another Side-BIABH-Highway 61. He was absolutely untouchable with these three. Nothing comes close IMO.

lowellmorris likes this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

This is impossible - it s like pickng Shakeaspears best play. There are so much works and so many faces of Dylan so this can t be done. BOTT is perfect but so is a lot if Dylans other work. Even lot s of the not-perfect albums can sometimes feel outstanding in their own right. Dylan is really one of a kind.

21. comes_a_time

comes_a_time Forum Resident

My favorite is Slow Train coming. Hard to put a finger on why but it feels to me that he poured so much of himself into that one. Have never been to church in my life.

22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

+1

I could probably come up with a top ten or possibly top five but choosing which is the best is impossible for me.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hard to pick the definitive favorite among such milestone albums and one long fine career full of albums for each possible feeling and state of mind.
    Really impossible as theres so many perfect albums to choose from and I sincerely would not like to pick something over another.

psst. Between you and me, I can say that "Blood On The Tracks" is my favorite album.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/bob-dylan/sh...ry-of-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-feature

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. serge

serge Forum Resident

I think its his best....i don't differentiate between the outtakes and the released stuff..its all "Blood on the Tracks" to me.

of course you listen to it a few thousand times as an impressionable 20 year old and you sort of burn out on it.. so you end up saying "new morning" is your favorite or something..cause its fresher.. but really, no.

Mr. Explorer and vegafleet like this.
  25. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Dylan has at least 5 albums as good as BOTT. Blonde on Blonde slays it. So does Bringing It All Back Home. I play Love And Theft and Time Out Of Mind both more often. I also play the BOTT outtakes more often than the actual album.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Cracklebarrel and Nick Dunning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.