Who Here Is Using Anti-Skate With VPI?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jcmusic, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone here using or not using the a.s. with their vpi tt?

Jay

2. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I assume you mean anti-skate? If that is what you mean, then I would be curious why one wouldn't be using their anti-skate? I know the twisting of the wire is hardly a good example of engineering and the add-on counterweight anti-skate is plain ugly, but tracking is heavily dependant upon anti-skate.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Please clarify what "A.S." is so we can clarify the thread title.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm not yet but Fremer has suggested I get the anti-skate device. It doesn't really seem to be an issue.

5. jcmusic

Yes I do mean anti-skate, reason is VPI says that they sound better without using it. I have not been using mine and the sound is excellent just wondering about wear on the stylus.

Jay

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I'm using it on my Aries 3, IMO not the best thought out device. It's very tricky to set correctly, plus the string rubs against the VTA knob so I really don't know how effective it is. I'd skip it personally but Lee's friend Mike Fremer recommended it to him so maybe you will have different results.

7. jcmusic

Tommy maybe your right I remember fooling aound with it before, and decided not to hook it up. I think it might have been the string.

Jay

8. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident

I'm using it on my Scoutmaster...set it up with a Wally Skater, just like Fremer did in his DVD.

9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

You must adjust it so that the string most definitely DOES NOT rub against the VTA knob. I am using mine and it works fine. Initial setup is a little tricky. The instructions and photos really don't seem to help, probably because VPI really doesn't believe in it. If you watch Fremer's DVD, you must ensure to set just enough anti-skate force. This means NOT using ALL of the rubber O-rings that are supplied with the device.

I have not conducted a lot of A-B listening sessions with and without anti-skate. I'm sure that the twist in VPI's wire is applying some anti-skate, but all other arms have skating controls. There must be something to it if all these other manufacturers are still putting it on their arms.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I'm using Wally's A.S. ( :) ) on my JMW10. Works fine.

11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

And doesn't Fremer recommend not using the weight? I just have my string on the second notch up from the bottom without the weight.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I remember if I kept the weight on mine it would rip the tonearm right off the record. I took the weight off and it worked much better (although far from perfect).

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I ordered a Wally Skater and a few other things several years ago and still haven't gotten it. Is he legitimate?

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

One of the cool things about Wally's device is that you can select different weights to match the tracking force applied. The not cool thing about Wally's tools is actually getting them after months of calling and waiting.

15. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

Wally is legit, but extremely (yes years) slow with all his products. You can PM is you really want to know more.

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I don't think he is so much crooked as completely disorganized, eccentric, non-business oriented, etc. If you paid for these items, and don't have outrageous long distance phone bills, I'd say call him often until you get the items. I don't know if there are legal recourses, especially after that long. He did eventually come through for me, but I had to pester him.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've been using VPI tables for several years, and do what Harry Weisfeld originally told me to do, which is use the wire twist. Works fine for me. I believe that Harry designed his tables/arms for this method, and only came up with alternate anti-skate because he was getting a fair amount of criticism and a fair amount of requests. I think he is pretty confident that his original design is still the best. And I, for one, agree with him.

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I mean if the guy who built the table recommends not to use Anti-Skate and the VPI plays fine - why on earth should you use complacted extras just to use AS ?
    If you want Anti Skating - why not buy another Table, that let's you set the Anti Skating Force.
    AFAIK the point is that the tonearm rests on that single point as free as possible so AS is contra productive.....but if Michael Fremer sayssomething different .....
    I have no experience with that issues, I just love the sound of The Scoutmaster !

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I always had tracing errors without the anti-skate. With it I still had problems but they weren't as bad. I really dislike VPI arms.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Welcome back Jamie. :)

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:wave:

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Jamie, did you ever get your table back with the Phantom on board?

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm curious as well.

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

No. :realmad:

This will be my third Christmas without it and I think Santa may bring me more nice vinyl this year. My wife and I have been in contact with Bob Graham many, many times over the years but it doesn't seem to speed things up. I even asked him to just ship it back to me in whatever condition it was in... that was in July. :(

25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that. Between Bob and Wally, it a wonder you don't throw up your hands and go full iPod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.