Who Here Is Using Anti-Skate With VPI?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jcmusic, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

DITTO THIS! I have the original VPI TNT-HR with the JMW Menorial 12.5 tonearm. I use the twisted wire exaclty as Harry directs in the instructions and it works like a charm. Mikey and I have agreed to disagree on this. :D

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That's really bad Jamie. Why don't you hire a lawyer? Three years is insane.

A nicely worded letter from a shark should do the trick.

3. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Plus one.

4. TimJo

TimJo New Member

I just use the wire twist. No problems for me...

5. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident

I had the same problem ordering directly from Wally. I ended up finding one on A'gon.

6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yeah, you can also add to the group Art Ferris from Audible Illusions. Nice stuff but takes forever to get product.

7. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Describe the wire twist method. I have the VPI signature 9 arm.

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Years ago, I didn't like the results I was getting with my Wally-Tractor for my Rega. Wally spent quite a bit of time discussing things with me on the phone, which at the time I appreciated. He wanted me to send it back to him, and I was supposed to get a replacement. Then he disappeared into the ether. Supposedly you and I aren't the only ones not getting what we paid for (or a refund) from Wally...

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

You're supposed to twist the wires until there's no more tracking errors. A very exact process. :laugh: Just don't twist them the wrong direction or your tonearm will slide right off your record. :)

10. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok guys thanks for all the replys.

Jay

11. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Go on Vinyl Asylum and read the literature available from VPI. IThe material supplied with my signature Scoutmaster was and is quite poor and never described the process although it was mentioned.

For more anti-skate twist the wires counter-clockwise.

I do wish that the manuals for VPI would be better with more instructions and photos, including where to lube the bearing and motor.

12. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I use the antiskating device that came with my Scoutmaster Signature. I think it works! Don't know how to fine tune it. As mentioned, barely any instructions from VPI.

13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

And VPI wonders why some wanted a "real" anti-skate mechanism. "Just twist the wires counter-clockwise." My, how scientific and exact. No wonder Fremer states that he recommends using the now supplied anti-skate device.

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

No doubt. I wonder if VPI even understands the wires tend to un-twist throwing off your ever so scientific and precise alignment.

Bah! Buy a new tonearm.

15. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I passed up the VPI tonearm also because there are many out there that will outperform the unipivot that is supplied. Graham builds a nice arm, but is just about the slowest in the industry. This is exactly why they can't move from cottage to luxury. Jamie - one other thing that Bob may not think about. I don't know what platter you have, but make sure that you have enough VTA between his arm and your table. With the TNT series, one had to order a new armboard that was thicker so that it could make the higher VPI platter. VPI likes to change their specs all the time so the platters were getting higher and Graham didn't know about it and the two didn't play nice.

16. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I think they understand but they also understand that there is no single correct anti-skating bias.

The required force changes based on position on the record and the friction from the grooves.

So the best you can do is approximate anyhow.

17. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

I have the twisted wire anti-skate and it seems to work fine.

With a good record it will track all the way through no problem, for example, the new zz top fandango or who by numbers. For me, If a record doesn't seem to track well I just blame the record and don't get worried. I believe the twisted wire works, which is a big relief from other nightmare TT rigs I've had.:)

18. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

When I used a VPI Scout, I started with the wire twist method and added anti-skate when it came out. At first I was skeptical of the anti-skate and even took it back off for a time, but ultimately the sound for me was better with the anti-skate add on. It took be a while to get the setting just right, though, using the HFNRR test disc.

19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I correct myself. I have now disconnected it and the sound is much better. Give it a try. And remember to reset tracking force and azimuth. All I did was twist the wire to the junction box as indicated in the instruction manual. Do it and tell me what you hear.

20. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

i set up VCPI turntables on a weekly basis on the older tables i use the wire twist method. On the newer type that come with an anti-skate device i use it unless my customer doesn't want me too

i find the wire twist method works well

21. macster

macster Forum Resident

I use the wire twist method and the way that I verify that I have the correct amount is that the "180' arc" formed by the wire is nice and smooth and has no dips and bends in it. In other words the arc which is formed has a nice wide "bowl" shape. It works on both of my VPI armwands.
    M~

22. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I’m a bit of a novice on this but my VPI scout LE never was setup using the wire. When I learned about the wire as an alternative method. I also read VPI recommends not using it as it may sound better without it. As far as I can tell it works fine so I never used the wire.

How do you identify a antiskate tracking error?

23. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Geez, suddenly there are three Anti-skate threads?

Harry sez to not use AS. But he also sez to go "nude" on the platter.

Are there any folks going without AS but not listening to Harry and using a TT mat? Seems like if the reasoning is based on his design philosophy then one would have to eschew BOTH AS and a platter mat.

I decided to split the difference and use AS with a bare platter.

24. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

i don't use a matt or a AS device on my VPI turntable, but on ocasion I do use Mat from VPI

25. macster

macster Forum Resident

No AS device and no mat, verified to be correct by lots of listening.

M~

Scott Hicks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.