Who Here Is Using Anti-Skate With VPI?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jcmusic, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I'm not sure I understood this. You are or are not using a device?

2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I also use no Anti Skate (I avoid the VPI mechanism) and do not use a mat.

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

I am not using a device.

Here is how I set my anti skate;
    1. Put the cartridge in the lead in groove - My "setup" record is usually what I use, but if I'm in a zone I'll use any record that I know to be in good condition.
      1. If it forcibly pulls in, I twist the wire one turn clockwise.
      2. If it pulls in naturally, that is follows the grooves in naturally, I don't do anything.
    2. I check the leadout groove following the same process;
      1. If it forcibly pulls in, I twist the wire one turn clockwise.
      2. If it pulls in naturally, that is follows the grooves in naturally, I don't do anything.
    3. Now lets say I get the leadin grooves to work, but the leadout groove doesn't.
      1. I focus on getting the leadout groove correct and so far the lead in has followed suite. But if it doesn't, I use another record.
    4. I've "found" that some records are cut weird and the cartridge will pull in slightly, no matter what you do. This is why I have a beatup record that I use as my setup record or my point of reference. There are a number of ways to do it, but this way works for me. Usually, I can set the antiskate up in about a minute or so.
    This is my lie and I'm sticking to it.

M~

4. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Never have used anti-skate on my Classic I.

Never needed to.

No tracking errors.

Nothing but great sound.

N'est-ce pas?

+

5. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Wow, you guys have resurrected a thread from 2008! I have been using the anti-skate on my Scoutmaster. Maybe I should re-visit this and try without it.

6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Holding the connector pointed up I turn it one time counterclockwise. Insert back into junction box with minimal 'curly q'ing in the wire and I can pass 3 of 4 anti-skate tracks on the hi-fi news test disk. Better than with the mechanical dohicky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.