Who here thinks that Goats Head Soup is the best Rolling Stones album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRD, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

It's not their best and not their worst. It seems like it's gotten more accolades with the passing of time, but I've always felt that it's a middle of the road/par for the course release. I prefer It's Only Rock and Roll as the better album of the two by a notch.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  2. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Best? No. Great? Yup!

john fisher and Shawn like this.
  3. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Winter maybe best Stones song ever

DHamilton likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's The Stones album which has grown on me the most. Albums like Aftermath, BB, LIB and Sticky Fingers were instant "winners' nut not so Goats Head Soup. For one thing, the flat, sometimes dirty sounding sound quality was a huge initial turnoff to me. over time, it's actually "become" one of the albums' unique aspects and the songs themselves have really sounded better over time. While not their best album, I think it's the last, true "down and dirty" Stones album before they began turning high society.

5. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

B&B was the album I had to struggle with. It was like Motown had taken over the band.

6. stever

stever Senior Member

Ha ha, you're kidding. Have you listened to even their essential releases?

Hammerpeg likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm surprised so many people don't like Dancing With Mr. D. As DTK said earlier, it has a great riff and groove. It's my favourite track on the album.

I do think Star Star is pathetic though!

I like Goats Head Soup but prefer all the albums before it and Some Girls. I like Memory Motel from Black and Blue more than anything on GHS but not the whole album. GHS could be my least favourite of the Stones albums I like, but it's a good one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've somehow completely overlooked this album. I have almost every other one. I just ordered a US first press looking forward to it. I see it on Spotify but I'll resist. Thanks OP - you cost me 19.00 in a good way

9. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

No.

Nothing containing "Angie" and "Dancing with Mr. D" could be considered the best of anything.

10. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Compared to 'Exile' and the high-energy '72 tour, GHS is a bit of a letdown. "Silver Train" is a decent track, but lacks the high-energy punch of "All Down the Line". Jagger goes astray by trying to copy the glam influence of Bowie, compared to the much better hippie drawl of Gram Parsons ("Torn & Frayed"). It becomes even more apparent on 'Its Only R&R', thus not a surprise Mick Taylor left the band.

I can listen to GHS every now and then, but its the Stones being 'good', not 'great' as they were with their peak in 1972. I would say their good period lasted until Tattoo You and their last memorable hit, "Start Me Up" (1981), after that they eventually became their own tribute band.

GHS sounds to me like the 60's are over, or fading fast. Watergate knocks the Vietnam War out of front page headlines. Another generation of rock music is on the way... goodbye Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Doors, etc... and hello to Aerosmith and Kiss, ugh....... GHS is the transition.

11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Borderline troll thread here. Maybe consider retitling the thread in terms of the Stones least appreciated good album or something like that. Otherwise, give me a break.

12. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Ever heard the live versions from '73? It totally blows the studio one away and make it sound like a really great Stones track. I do like GHS a lot, but I also think it is the weakest of the Taylor era albums. But it is still very underrated in as much as a record by the world's biggest r'n'r album with one of their biggest hits aboard can be called underrated...

Anyone slagging off the Stones as a live act during this period is deaf, btw.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Instant disqualification: "Can You Hear the Music"

Muggles likes this.
  14. 303 Squadron

303 Squadron Forum Resident

In my collection mainly because of MT. And fact is radio made Angie a crap.

What's wrong with Bad Co.?

15. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

"dancing with Mr D" is only a good track as it lacks a good guitar solo...! ( live versions have it)

16. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

narcoticos

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best album?
    Take Angie of and you got turd no fun.

18. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Certainly don't think it's the best but it probably is underrated. It's often overlooked because it was the first album post-"holy" quadrant of Beggars Banquet to Exile on Main St.

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Not me.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's great. Can live without the organ though! I'd never heard it live.

21. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

nope not their best !

22. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

Just like at the U. S Open, par is a good score within the Rolling Stones catalog!

23. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Yeh if I remember the ***** press slagged it off a bit when it came out, but its right up there as far as I'm concerned

24. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Thought it would be OK to say m+++n :D

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wasn't that the year Jagger sang on
    Your So Vain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.