Who invented punk rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

I'm going with the Troggs as well

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is music an invention? Quick, slap a patent on it. Nevertheless, who would actually own up to Punk rock? Surely a byword for un-inventiveness.

3. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I voted Sex Pistols/Malcolm McLaren because of McLaren. He was the first name I thought of when I saw the thread title. It might be self-promotion and something he said in a documentary...I'm not an expert on punk/proto-punk.

5. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

6. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

If you believe McLaren, he was inspired by the New York Dolls, Richard Hell, and that scene.

7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Dylan was sort of musical act with that"punk, don't give a f*** about what anyone thinks" attitude. Punk was never about sounding technically good & he was known for his as-few-takes-as-possible approach well Dylan is usually credited with opening the doors wide open for people with voices that weren't traditionally good. Tombstone Blues is very proto-punk, and has that nihilism, & cynical wit. So, I guess my vote goes to The New York Dolls :agree:

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  8. CrewU

CrewU Forum Resident

How about the The Electric Eels, Rocket From The Tomb and the Dead Boys. Cleveland had some good proto-punk/punk bands during the evolution of punk.

Andrew J likes this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

New York Dolls music was a souped up Chuck Berry. So was UK punk. The UK Punk movement grew out of pub rock. Pub rock bands like Ducks Deluxe. R&B with torn trousers, a few studs, a snarl, a mouthful of saliva. True punk grew out of a US garage sound which seemed to owe nothing to R&B. I would choose Stooges, deffo not Iggy and The Stooges. Whoever said the Beatles just needs to get out more. Bowie? What on Earth? Also, the NY scene was on the whole far too inventive to be called punk. My ten new pence worth.

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Would a self respecting punk band ever do anything like this?

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The Damned?

quakerparrot67 and Isaac K. like this.
  12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Captain Sensible is more new wave than The Damned.

13. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Neil Sedaka.

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why are bands like The Sonics and The Monks missing but David Bowie is included? Weird.

dharmabumstead and scotth like this.
  15. BB on Mars

BB on Mars Forum Resident

I went with Iggy & the Stooges because he was diving in the crowd & his other crazy stuff he did was definitely punk along with there music. ...Although I will say back in the 70's I think the Sex Pistols were the first band I heard the term Punk associated with. Even though the Ramones, The Heartbreakers, Wayne County...etc were around before them. I also remember an interview with Pete Townshend where he praised the Sex Pistols & Punk saying it went back to the Roots of Rock & Roll. He looked at the Pistols Pretty Vacant as that generations My Generation...so...maybe the Who could be punk as well with My Generation & the way they destroyed their instruments

16. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

The Beatles. Wink

17. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

Bowie's "Hang on to yourself" created the classic punk rock riff adopted by the Sex Pistols and The Ramones and every good punk band since.

18. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

If you have to give the nod to a single artist ― and you don't, and you shouldn't ― the Richard Hell line-up of Television made their live debut a couple of weeks before the Ramones, and the Neon Boys' version of "Love Comes in Spurts" preceded even that. So I voted for Hell. The Saints deserve credit for coming up with the same sound around the same time independently.

And though it's not exactly punk as we usually think of it today, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this:

[​IMG]

scotth likes this.
  19. proudy

proudy Well-Known Member

It's a spectrum, so you can detect a bit of "punk spirit" in music from the 60s or 50s or...

But to me Raw Power is the first album that actually reeks of pure punk rock, rather than sounding like some avant garage rock band who got pegged as protopunk because they were a bit rowdy (like The Sonics or The Monks or The Stooges' own Fun House, which is also fantastic).
    The Ramones actually sound less punk--less rebellious, less recorded-in-a-gutter-with-a-needle-in-the-arm--than that era of The Stooges. It's like the world just happened to catch up to what Raw Power was doing around the time of The Ramones and The Ramones reaped benefits.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

OK, here's another one:

Isaac K. and Matthew B. like this.
  21. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Do anything like rock your a$$ off! Of course my horse

22. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Most posts are focusing on the musical development. There is an argument that Malcolm McLaren "invented punk" as a concept to promote to the general population/media. Before that it was more of a fashion/music sub-genre.

scotth likes this.
  23. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

no one invented it. how could anyone? did edison invent electricity? practitioners came along and involved them selves in the atmosphere.............but no one invented it........nice thread

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Wink

Meddle likes this.
  25. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

The basis of the Sex Pistols existed a couple of years before Malcolm Mclaren's involvement, with the nucleus of Cook and Jones, at one point being referred to as QT Jones and His Sex Pistols.

I can't believe in this day and age when the record has long been set publically straight through biographies, autobiographies, documentaries and interviews that people are still buying into the "Rock and Roll Swindle" myth and talking as if the band were Mclaren's puppet project.

I notice the starter of this poll seems to go down that same misguided route, offering uniquely Sex Pistols/Malcolm Mclaren as an option. Well in that case why not also MC5/John Sinclair? Velvet Undergound/Andy Warhol Etc?

But to return to the question at hand, who invented Punk?

Eric Clapton. Listen to that guitar, unfortunately buried in the mix, on I Feel Free. That's pure Ramones a decade before The Ramones existed. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.