Who invented punk rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

davers and Zeki like this.
  2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I went with the Stooges

3. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Cheez Whiz

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Definitely for the look - with a little help from Ziggy's hairdo.

Certainly the "**** you" attitude of Iggy and his bad-boy gang and obviously "No Fun" (covered by the Pistols of course) plus things like "Loose" but a lot of the band's music was full of pschedelic guitar solos which were a no-go area in Punk. Same applies to the MC5.

Lou Reed, The Ramones and The NY Dolls, provided a lot of raw material for the whole thing.
    I think the Ramones and the Sex Pistols sum it up really.

dino77 likes this.
  5. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I voted for the Doctors Of Madness, because they had a huge (if somewhat misleading) influence on my early understanding of what a punk band might 'look' and 'sound' like, but of course the real answer is the Ramones.

6. chodad

chodad Hodad

The Ramones kicked off the whole punk era. Anything before was pre punk even if you want to go back to the cavemen days.

7. Wah-Wah

Wah-Wah Well-Known Member

Who "invented" Punk Rock?

Easy - Jerry Lee Lewis.

Proof:

Mal likes this.
  8. owsley

owsley Senior Member

If you want the true genesis of the punk 'sound' , it started with Chicago electric blues artists of the early 50's. The classic records (such as Boyd Gilmore's 'All In My Dreams' from 1952) were pure punk: wild vocals, distorted guitars, suggestive lyrics. These were the types of records that influenced the wild early UK R+B bands such as the Stones, Pretty Things, Downliner's Sect, Kinks etc. However that's only half the equation. There's also the punk attitude that's an essential ingredient. The early progenitors of 'punk lifestyle' were definitely the Stones who walked the walk. They were the first band to glorify punk in lifestyle as well as in the studio. The Stooges used that template and improved upon it but the Stones were the first off the Mayflower. If there had been no Brian Jones, Jim Osterberg would have stayed Jim Osterberg. However Dylan gets props for being rock's first intellectual punk.

zipzorp likes this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Arthur Lee and Johnny Echols.

Quasimodo, Mal and BeatlesObsessive like this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Just two things:
    Iggy probably got a lot more out of Jim Morrison and Sky Saxon than he did Brian Jones.
    What the hell is the "punk lifestyle"?:laugh:

Mother likes this.
  11. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

just IMAGINE the Beatles reuniting in 1977 with this as the cover for their raw punk sounding I BURIED PAUL album.

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Barry McGuire's vocal delivery on Eve Of Destruction is punk before its time.

13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

punk rock as i see it at least fashion wise was invented by Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood.
    musically that is a more tangled web without a simple answer.

Dave Decadent likes this.
  14. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I picked Iggy & the Stooges. To my ears, the first LP to sound like a consistent "punk" effort (as we would understand the Sex Pistols, the Clash, X, Buzzcocks, etc) is Raw Power. And we know that it was formative on many early UK punk acts in a way that, say, the Monks or VU were not.

15. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

I love the Stooges and MC5, and many great garage bands were the precursors to Punk Rock, but this is the band I pick for really kicking it off:

16. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The Ig was into the Stones when he was drummer for the Iguanas in '65. Jagger and Morrison are cited as Ig influences but we're talking about who was first. I probably should have said punk attitude vs lifestyle but there's no dispute that a major part of the Stones popularity and street cred was their wild reprobate lifestyle.

17. Iggy's often spoke of the impact seeing the Doors for the first time had on him, where Morrison came out half the bag and started baiting the jocks in the audience.

18. Tom Infinit

Tom Infinit New Member

Punk Rock needs the speed and melody and production, which the older Garage Punk or Stooges (what about them inventing Noise Rock?) didn´t have, so I´d go for Ramones, although I hate them.

19. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps.

20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

"Other," being snotty little punks in garages from about 1960 on. Everything we hear in the 1970s reincarnation can be traced back.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  21. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Viv Prince

22. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

is that the infamous 'wally nightingale'?? way cool jones-n-cook pic.

cheers,
    rob

trumpet sounds likes this.
  23. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Neu!

SteveCooks and Gavinyl like this.
  24. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Thomas Edison

(or at least he's the one who made it possible - recorded music frees you from having to go through the "traditional" route of musical education... you can listen to what you like and learn to play by ear)

RomanZ likes this.
  25. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Lots of great artists there. I voted Gene Vincent and Link Wray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.