Who is the female vocalist equivalent to Frank Sinatra (on his ballad albums)?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder who is the female vocalist equivalent to Frank Sinatra?
    and which female vocalist's album is her equivalent to In the Wee Small Hours?

I don't think it's Billie Holiday, although she's wonderful.
    nor Ella Fitzgerald who is closer to the point but still not the interpreter that Sinatra is.

2. teag

teag Forum Resident

There isn't one.

paulmock likes this.
  3. Richard--W

There must be someone who comes close.
    Anita O'Day? Keeley Smith? Rosemary Clooney? Doris Day?
    Julie London?
    June Christy?
    Perhaps the question should be a thread unto herself.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    fortherecord and William Smart like this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

ABSOLUTELY none of the above!!!! DORIS DAY??????????????????????????????????????????????????

kennyluc1 and hal jones like this.
  5. Richard--W

Not even Peggy Lee ?

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I think the problem is that there were very (!) few performers doing albums that were 1.) consistent in their instrumental background arrangements; 2.) consistent in the thematic/emotional ideas; 3.) approached as "for posterity" in terms of vocal style/purpose, i.e., "they sang in a way that honored the song," vis-a-vis "they sang as they would 'live' on stage where 'the moment' often takes priority over 'the performance that merits repeated listening.'"

Look at Black Coffee by Peggy Lee. Great singing. Great individual performances. I love that album. How the heck does the song "Black Coffee" tie in, thematically or stylistically, with "My Heart Belongs to Daddy?" (Answer: It doesn't.) The production team certainly could have taken "Black Coffee" and made it the jumping off point for an album that drove that song's point home over a 20 minute play-through. Instead, it was "just" a title song for an album that is excellent (on its own terms and in its own way), but not "through-conceived" in the same way that several Sinatra albums were.

7. MLutthans

It's often the simple difference between "a great collection of songs" and "an album project." (See next post?) Neither is easy to create, but the latter really demands "intent" at a higher level, one that even Sinatra did not always reach. Nothing wrong with the former -- and it may even be preferred in some cases, and lead to a superior experience for the listener who is not looking to be "led down a road," but just to hear some great tunes sung well. (Nice 'n' Easy, anyone?)

8. MLutthans

Wording is tricky. Of course, any album conceived from scratch is an "album project." Creating one that remains 100% on-topic, on theme, in-mood, with enough variety to keep it from getting boring, from opening note to closing chord, and doing it successfully...that's a tall order for any artist and production team.

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Not even close!

Richard--W likes this.
  10. Richard--W

Oh, I think Peggy came close now and then, here and there. Fever, for instance.

Jo Stafford could have done it. She was almost equal the technician. But she never dug into her dark side, if you'll pardon the expression.

Matt has a good point, but I would argue that June Christy got the idea of concept albums and delivered some persuasive ones -- Ballads For Night People, Something C0ol, a few others.

rangerjohn, CBackley, JL6161 and 2 others like this.
  11. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Why compare?

Although if I had to vote, it would be Sarah Vaughan.

12. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'll bet most folks here aren't very familiar with her catalog, but it's large. Her's was the first name that immediately came to mind.

14. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Cher.....do you believe in life after love

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, very well put. Frank Sinatra's Capitol era, and quite a few of his Reprise albums were conceived with a thematic element and with the intent of being a complete and integrated experience and set a mood. These records were far more than a "great collection of songs" or "an album project"

MLutthans likes this.
  16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Strictly speaking in terms of voice, I would have to say Ella Fitzgerald. Great range, smooth as whiskey and her singing can pull you in like Frank did.

17. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

No dead on equivalent; but I believe Mr. Sinatra would say maybe Keeley Smith. He had often complimented her as his favorite female singing partner. Her tribute album to Frank is officiated by Frank Jr. I might suggest in certain ways Shirley Horn be considered.

CBackley, anth67 and William Smart like this.
  18. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

I may be misunderstanding the thread, but as far as popularity, longevity, and size and dedication of fanbase goes, I'd have to say Barbra Streisand. I don't know enough about her albums to comment on that part, but as far as female singers that are hugely powerful and successful, I can think of few others that reach that level (Celine Dion, maybe, but I don't think her popularity translated into power the way Streisand's has).

19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

20. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Another vote for Ella.

21. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

What about Judy Garland? Didn’t she record several Sinatra-like concept albums with Capitol?

22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No, not Ella. Frank was a crooner, and yes, a swinger, but interpreting lyrics was the main thing for him. Ella admitted that interpreting lyrics was not her main goal nor a strength. She could swing like no other; but she was more jazz than Sinatra. She was a practitioner of scatting, wordlessly improvising to the music. That was never Sinatra's thing. The closest female to Sinatra was probably Sarah Vaughan, equally at home with syrupy strings behind her crooning a ballad, or hard swinging something from the Great American Songbook.

23. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Annie Haslam

Not for the sound, but in terms of voice, she's basically untouchable compared to any female singer in rock. I mean if you can make folk rock and synth pop sound convincing even if the latter if actually bad music - you have the voice :D

toilet_doctor and William Smart like this.
  24. AnalogJ

Garland is closer to Sinatra than Ella, again, as more of an interpreter of lyrics than a jazz singer. But Garland didn't swing hard the way Sinatra did on some of his albums with Capitol. Garland sang more in a Broadway style than Sinatra did. (I have studied singers for a long time, as I have professionally sung Broadway and jazz).

Sinatra knew that economy of style was necessary when singing hard swing, but knew he could sustain and elongate the phrasing when doing a ballad.

25. AnalogJ

Carmen was a great jazz ballad singer, but she didn't swing nearly as hard as Sinatra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.