Who is the female vocalist equivalent to Frank Sinatra (on his ballad albums)?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

That album (It's A Quiet Thing) specifically is all thematically divulged. The arrangements are cinematic - in a good way.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Richard--W likes this.
  2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

My grandmother was acquainted with Rosemary Clooney. They grew up in the same neighborhood and were teens together, sort of. They talked on the phone once in a while. My father worked at Grauman's Aerospace on Long Island with a couple of musicians of from Lionel Hampton's band. He brought home a number of cassettes of their rehearsals for me. I never actually listened to them. Wasn't my kind of music at the time. Oh well.

MMM, Moshe, Mr Bass and 2 others like this.
  3. Richard--W

Well, Sinatra's range surpasses everyone in music, so I wouldn't expect an exact equal. But I will check out Julie London's concept albums.

4. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Sarah or Barbra

5. Richard--W

Come to think of it I liked an album that came out in 1977-78, Remember My Name by Roberta Hunter, a jazz / blues singer who walked away from the music business to work as a nurse in Brooklyn, then made a brief comeback. A couple of the songs were new and in the movie, but she redefined some of her old songs too. The album surpasses the movie. It opens and closes on the downbeat and stays there inbetween. Roberta's vocal is outstanding on every track. Remember My Name is a kind of woman's Water Town.

6. I wasn't sure which album to choose ("Lady In Satin" is a great choice), but the first person that came to mind, who would meet (or for me exceed) the OP's needs, was Billie Holiday. I love Frank Sinatra (enough to be on this thread), but, for me, Lady Day is the greatest singer of that sort, bar none.

TonyG and Richard--W like this.
  7. Richard--W

I don't disagree about Billie H. but I was looking for something aside from Billie H.

You don't think Lady In Satin is a little too bloody?

CBackley and linclink like this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Maybe not here but I wonder how many may just have assumptions about Streisand's phenomenal recordings in her prime.
    I suggest in comparison to the greatness of Sinatra, that folks check out original studio versions and some live of Barbra's

My Man
    Don't Rain On My Parade
    Cry Me A River
    Down With Love
    Free Again
    Willow Weep For Me
    Lover Come Back To Me
    Summer Me Winter Me
    What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life?
    How Does The Wine Taste?
    What About Today?
    Love Is A Bore
    Somewhere
    He Touched Me
    Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home
    You're The Top
    The Nearness of You
    Fine and Dandy
    All In Love Is Fair
    Something So Right
    Being At War With Each Other
    What Now My Love
    On A Clear Day
    Bewitched, Bothered, Bewildered,
    The Best Thing You've Ever Done
    Coming In And Out Of Your Life
    I've Never Been a Woman Before
    Kiss Me In The Rain
    Lover Man Oh Where Can You Be
    Supper Time
    My Lord and Master
    Send In The Clowns
    Someone That I Used To Love
    I'll Know
    Didn't We?

gorangers and Richard--W like this.
  9. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I've been spending tonight with the nearly forgotten Sylvia Syms. She was a favorite of Frank's. She's labeled a cabaret singer, but is a heck of an interpreter.

CBackley and Richard--W like this.
  10. Richard--W

A cabaret singer might be just the ticket.
    Which by Sylvia Syms? Wasn't she a British vocalist or have I confused her with someone else?

11. frankfan1

12. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

I’m not sure if it’s what you mean by “bloody” but the harrowing experience of listening to it has no equivalents in Sinatra’s discography. Maybe not anyone else’s either.

linclink likes this.
  13. Richard--W

Yeah that's what I meant by bloody.

Which of her albums have you been listening to?

linclink likes this.
  14. Richard--W

Carly Simon did an album called Torch, as I recall. Didn't quite cut the mustard but it was a good torch ballad album. If memory serves there was one original in which she called James Taylor a fool.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the two albums of 1950s cover songs Linda Ronstadt recorded with Nelson Riddle. Damn good albums.

gorangers and linclink like this.
  15. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Keely Smith or perhaps Lena Horne. Maybe Anita O'Day. Maybe.

16. I don't know... I tend to be such a gigantic fan that my bias makes it tough for me to answer that very well... as I said though, tough for me to choose a single/particular album of hers... and

I also love your bringing up those two Linda Rondstadt album with Nelson Riddle, they really are pretty spectacular... they are absolute stand outs among the many modern singers who have taken their swipes at the Great American Songbook era of material...

Jack_Straw and gorangers like this.
  17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

A great choice. Up there with Sarah Vaughan.

WolfSpear and linclink like this.
  18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

June Christy {Something Cool}

or

any Emmylou Harris concert since the 90s. All heartbreakers.

linclink and Richard--W like this.
  19. Jimmy Cagoots

Jimmy Cagoots Senior Member

Dinah Washington's later Mercury and Roulette albums.

linclink and Richard--W like this.
  20. frankfan1

Tonight, "You Must Believe in Spring." One of her later efforts, around the time of her passing. I wish her album with sinatra would be rereleased.

Richard--W likes this.
  21. Richard--W

Okay, bought it. You Must Believe In Spring and Torch Songs. Bought 'em both.

22. Richard--W

Which of Dinah's later Mercury and Roulette albums do you recommend, specifically?
    Being Dinah they must be intense.

23. Richard--W

I acquired several of Emmylou's post-Wrecking Ball concerts and you're right, heartbreaker is the word, way beyond her country-folk roots.

June Christy suits me very well, I have Something Cool and a few others including This is June, Ballad of Night People.

24. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

CBackley and Richard--W like this.
  25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

All of Sarah Vaughan's live albums are remarkable. Amazing artistry and technique delivered as if effortless, almost tossed off. She shares that casual command with Sinatra.

And I always think Ella Fitzgerald's take on a standard is, well, the standard. Certainly her Verve songbook albums are as iconic and revered as Sinatra's Capitol classics.

But I think both women were more instrumental in their gifts and approaches than Sinatra, who was more actorly. So in that sense, Billie Holiday, at least in her latter days, may be the better analogue.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.