Who is your favorite industrial artist of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr_TagoMago, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Fantastic song , one of my favorites, the song is an example that aggression can be also beautiful/
    A masterpiece from a Genius band full of creativity and desire to explore and expand musical boundaries.

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 likes this.
  2. Front 242 Addict

One of the greatest!

skinny puppy - One Time One Place 1986

Aggressive and Psychotic machines with vocal performance that moves from a singing which is full with sadness and tenderness to a singing with huge rage.

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 and c-eling like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm a fan of EG and have posted their stuff here before.

These releases are worth getting:

https://www.discogs.com/Esplendor-Geometrico-Comisario-De-La-Luz/master/41465

https://www.discogs.com/Esplendor-Geometrico-Kosmos-Kino/master/41485

https://www.discogs.com/Esplendor-Geométrico-Mekano-Turbo/master/41478

https://www.discogs.com/Esplendor-Geométrico-Sheikh-Aljama/master/41493

https://www.discogs.com/Esplendor-Geometrico-Arispejal-Astisaró/master/292523

https://www.discogs.com/Esplendor-Geométrico-1980-1982/release/315215

The Japanese Captain Trip CD versions of most of these albums are probably the easiest versions to find and sound good. Nice mini-lp packaging as well. There are also some recent vinyl reissues on Geometrik...I have a couple of them and they're nicely done.

Looks like a lot of their stuff is on Bandcamp too:

http://esplendorgeometrico.bandcamp.com/music

4. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

I wouldn't classify them as industrial either. Love their 80s/early 90s releases. "Any Day Now" is one of those Desert Island albums for me.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nice little b-side from the Leeb/fulber camp, Looks like Leeb's working on a new Delerium album scheduled for this year
    After 20 years following these guys I'm still amazed by the contrast in music between the two projects-later period (Delerium), you have this and then 'Love'
    What the hell is a "Volatile Spleen? :laugh:

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  6. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

I couldn't have said it better myself. :edthumbs:

7. Lpone

Lpone Forum Resident

Chrome

drasil and Runicen like this.
  8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Does Industrial Metal count?

If so, then Fear Factory.

9. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

"Weird" Al Yankovic:

I know and I'm sorry. I just had to...:)

Ed

bluejeanbaby and longaway like this.
  10. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Ok, I finally have a bit more time to sit down and post about Skinny Puppy. First of all, I grew up immersed in the local Edmonton "alternative" music scene, so I saw Dwayne play with local pre-Puppy bands many times (the most prominent of these within this small scene was probably Voice, who managed to press an EP). As a side-note for those of you interested in such things, for a few months he had a brightly colored rainbow dreadlock hairstyle (each "dread" a different color) - which went down a storm in early 80's northern Canada.

My interest in all types of music had been fairly OCD from an early age but as I got into my teenage years I started to go through "phases" whereby I would get into a certain genre very deeply. It was this way with industrial music.

The exact sequence is a bit muddy here, since I moving back and forth in time picking up artists but it went from Cabaret Voltaire to Einsturzende Neubauten, etc., but finally led to SP via Nettwerk Records, a Canadian label that used to have some electronic artists such as Moev and locally released others such as SPK, Single Gun Theory and Severed Heads (yes, I know - also Sarah McLachlan). As luck would have it, not long after I got interested, someone traded in all their SP vinyl up to that point (not sure if it went up to Cleanse but certainly Mind, plus 12-inch singles for stuff like Dig It) into our local used record store (there was really only one in Edmonton in those days and it was right out of High Fidelity in its prime). So I got a bunch of early stuff in one shot, and my love of SP was born.

Even though I have moved through many other phases of music, SP has remained one of my favourite bands, although I stopped really following or collecting them after Dwayne's tragic passing (I still consider The Process a very strong, but highly disturbing album). I saw them live once "back in the day" and it was one of my top concert experiences (I still remember that Ogre initially came out in this really heavy fog, super-loud overdriven noise ringing, screamed a couple of lines, threw himself backwards onto the floor violently - and bounced up just as quickly as if nothing was wrong - to us watching, it was like "ok...anything goes tonight...".

All the way through their (especially early to mid - imho) career, and through some of the excellent offshoots, Download, Doubting Thomas, etc., they were a creative force, blending menace with slurred, busy loops and lots of theatrical visuals. Although I also got into early Wax Trax bands (Ministry, etc.), I always thought they were second tier to the mighty Puppy.

Front 242 Addict, vince and drasil like this.
  11. drasil

drasil Former Resident

oh man. I got into download because the idea of puppy-but-without-Ogre sounded awesome to fifteen-year-old me. (still does, kinda. insert hiding under chair emoji here.)

anyway, I'm glad they've been mentioned twice now. Stanley Pain is a great record. and who knew this place loved LPD so much? Ka-Spel rules.

also filed under 'music people who like industrial music like': dead voices on air.

12. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Yes, the first few Download releases are great (although I am not always solid on the Genesis contributions) - Furnace, Microscopic (I have the original lenticular cd covers for these), Charlie's Family, Eyes of Stanley Pain, Sidewinder - these are all very wonderful and dark recordings that should be part of every industrial fans collection.

Also, when considering LPD and Puppy, Tired Eyes Slowly Burning is a great album, especially (imho) The Centre Bullet.

13. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Here's a random note on Skinny Puppy: I can still recall buying this release, when I was in high school, and it remains the longest single-length vinyl release I've ever owned. I know there have been a few longer albums, but still - 70 minutes on a single slab of vinyl is nothing to sniff at.

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I would like to, at this time, tell you all about the 'MOLE' songs from The Residents "Tunes Of Two Cities"
    [​IMG]

Released in '82, this album goes 'song-for-song' in telling the story, by the songs of each 'culture'.
    And, while the 'CHUB' songs are quite 'cutesy-poo', the 'MOLE' song can be viewed as 'industrial', or, at least, having the industrial 'sound'.

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

16. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Some favorites:

Asmus Tietchens - Stupor Mundi
    Esplendor Geometrico - Mekano Turbo
    Laibach - Krst Pod Triglavom - Baptism
    The Hafler Trio - Intoutof

EDIT:
    And how can I forget Zoviet France ? I'll mention Mohnomishe, Shouting at the Ground, A Flock of Rotations and Shadow, Thief of the Sun as particular standouts.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm only familiar with Gristle, Test Department and Einsturzende Neubauten. I'm not sure anyone really else deserves the monicker, and after that it became the all encompassing 'Noise' genre. I found the genre uninteresting - often more about gesture and ideology than music or sound. But there is one Neubauten album that has stuck with me - a compilation that had subtlety, variation and a kind of poetry sorely lacking in most of this metal-banging or wall-of-noise-based genre. That LP is Strategies Against Architecture (the first volume). A good and interesting-sounding compilation of early works selected and sequenced by EN and Jim Thirwell. Nice!

I enjoyed You've Got Foetus on Your Breath, but I do not count that as Industrial. :)

18. Front 242 Addict

Einsturzende Neubauten - Strategies Against Architecture 80-83
    is one of my favorite albums, I would describe the music on the album as Industrial Heaven :thumbsup:

mr.datsun and vince like this.
  19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Exactly - initially, the Industrial moniker was as much if not more about concept as it was about sound. TG marketed their music as though it was so many widgets - 'Industrial Music for Industrial People'. It wasn't just about grinding noise. Remember that TG were huge Abba freaks as well. If you look at all the bands and artists that were initially inspired by TG too - Boyd Rice (NON), Survival Research Labs, SPK, etc. - they were as much about their manifestos as they were about their music. They did a lot of harsh clanking but they didn't restrict themselves to it.

Like others here, I tend to lump bands like NIN, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, KMFD, MLTKK and that lot all together. I like a lot of that music but for me, I'm not sure I'd call it Industrial. Not sure what I'd call it but I'm probably just picking nits.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Front 242 and Skinny Puppy :agree:

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You're right, I missed the dates. My LP says Einsturzende Neubauten 80=83 Strategies Against Architecture

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  22. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

Has everyone forgotten Pig? "A Poke in the Eye With a Sharp Stick"?

How about Luc Van Acker?

And yes, of course SP were the standard-bearers. We could have an entire thread for years just to discuss "Worlock." As I'm sure others have done.

23. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Skinny Puppy for me.
    After that (in no particular order) Front 242, Revolting Cocks, early Front Line Assembly, Ministry, Einstürzende Neubauten, Nitzer Ebb, 100o Homo Dj's, Pigface, Pailhead, Nine Inch Nails, Cabaret Voltaire, and Laibach.

24. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I tried to come up with a favorite band but it is perhaps not what I've played the most? I see that Motorpsycho is described with industrial elements in some of their music in the 90s so I choose them. :nyah:

I feel I should have had more Einstürzende Neubauten in my collection. It is a bit embarrassing. :oops:

25. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, Neubauten...

For Skinny Puppy, I prefer their earlier material, from Remission through Cleanse, Fold, and Manipulate, i.e., the more tuneful stuff, if you can call it that. I *love* the Tear Garden, but not sure I'd call that industrial.

Someone mentioned Clock DVA. I really like them, but the stuff of theirs that I'm into the most is not what I would classify as industrial (Thirst, Advantage).

For Cabaret Voltaire, I admit that my favorite album of theirs is The Crackdown, when they started moving in a somewhat poppier direction.

Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey is a good one. Mind was OK, but after that, they lost me. (And my very favorite Ministry album is their pre-industrial With Sympathy).

ShawnX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.