Who is your favorite industrial artist of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr_TagoMago, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Seriously, though, Trent Reznor always tried so hard to seem dark and angry, yet the music always seemed so palatable and arena ready, and when he tried to be more musically subversive, it was like he was trying too hard. He took something very dark and relatively inaccessible and made it accessible. Plus his voice never worked for me, either.

I get that lots of people really like them, and that's great (a close friend of mine, who actually got me into Skinny Puppy, idolized Reznor), but they just never did it for me.

2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Pailhead should get at least one mention in here.

Got to see Skinny Puppy at the Rock and Roll Church. Absolutely amazing show.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Look at my boy Al J. GO!
    Gotta LOVE HIM!

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Vince, Love 'Tragic Alert', will be picking this up in a couple weeks

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Filling some holes in my FLA discography and picked up this recently
    Mind in a Box's mix of Angriff 2010

6. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Isambard kingdom brunel. His industrial output was unmatched.

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

but was he an artist?

8. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Half of the wax trax stuff was ministry under different names. Omg. Al Jourgensen was a genious. He practically invented a music genre.

vince and c-eling like this.
  9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

The Hafler Trio

11. braun

braun Active Member

no favorites, but Olivia Block has been doing excellent work over the last several years. a couple examples:

Heave To, by Olivia Block »

12. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I posted that with my tongue at least partially in cheek. I was that kid, no doubt, but I also respected Reznor and liked a lot of his work. I still do.

but I'd never call NIN 'industrial,' and I don't think Reznor would either, out his own respect for the genre. his work is rock music that started out kind of synthpoppy and morphed into art-rock, bearing a heavy industrial influence the whole time. there's a lot of other stuff in the mix, such as how much he borrows from Bowie (including 'borrowing' an entire song), and I find the package to be pretty engaging and genuine. ultimately, I see him as a nirvana-type synthesist and populist, bringing a somewhat challenging style of music to a mass audience that would likely never otherwise hear it.

to this day, I usually gravitate towards the remixes over the original material, though--not just because they're often executed by musicians I love, like members of puppy or coil, but also because their hands tend to help balance some of the more... theatrical elements you mentioned.

plus, Adrian Belew, another musician I respect deeply, turned in some of the best work of his career on downward spiral, and I wish those contributions were better-recognized.

Front 242 Addict and eskaton like this.
  13. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Red Flag. Think they were more techno when they first came out, then they went into a goth phase. I still think they were a bit industrial. When the younger brother began carrying the name on his own, it was definitely industrial.

14. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Savage Republic could get kind of industrial in a Neubauten-ish sort of way (albeit more tuneful). I love their album Tragic Figures.

Front 242 Addict and Cake like this.
  15. eskaton

eskaton Forum Resident

Einsturzende Neubauten are one of my favorite bands of any genre, not just industrial. I first heard them as a teenager and they completely dismantled every notion I had about what music could be or what it should sound like. Their ability to unleash hellish cacophony and craft simple, beautiful pieces like "The Garden" or "Sabrina" with equal finesse is awe-inspiring and utterly captivating, a quality they share with another band I greatly admire, Coil.

A few of my other favorites:

Throbbing Gristle
    Psychic TV
    Nitzer Ebb
    Laibach
    Skinny Puppy
    KMFDM/PIG/related projects
    Clock DVA
    J.G. Thirlwell

16. I'm the kid in the next grade up who says "Yeah, and Trent Reznor owes Jim Thirwell a cut of his royalties." :)

17. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Clock Dva -Buried Dreams 1989

For me this is one of the most magnificent electro-industrial albums,
    the music is Dark and very hypnotic , listening to the album it's like diving into a dream , A dream from which you will never wake up. The music also deals with the notorious Countess Elizabeth Bathory (1560-1614) and her heinous crimes.

Track 4 from the album:
    Adi Newton's dark vocals and waves of mesmerizing sounds.

Clock Dva -Velvet Realm

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Fantastic album. I have it on LP but have been looking for a reasonably priced CD version as well for some time. Not sure why it's out of print, then again I think almost the entire Clock DVA catalog is. A classic like this should be available IMHO.

c-eling and Front 242 Addict like this.
  19. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Senior Member

Android Lust is probably the only artist from the genre that I have in my music collection. I just love Shikhee's voice.

20. Front 242 Addict

I also love Man-Amplified and Sign, great albums/ amazing atmosphere.
    I was lucky to find these 3 cds in normal price in excellent condition.
    The original Buried dreams cd was remastered at 1998 by Nextera Label Czech Republic.
    All Clock Dva catalog was supposed to be remastered by Mute but due to an old quarrel between the band members and a matter of rights , the plan canceled.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think I have Man Amplified on CD but my copy has a small glitch in it. Need a replacement for that one. I saw Adi Newton reissued some archive material but I'd prefer he just put the actual albums back in print. That's too bad about the Mute deal.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  22. Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  23. Front 242 Addict

A band from JAPAN ----- DRP ( Tomoyuki Murastige & Kuniyuki Takahashi
    Interesting EBM -ELECTRO INDUSTRIAL

You can hear lots of influence from Front 242 ,
    from their album Electro Brain 586 (1990)

DRP - Brainhunter

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  24. Cant forget this band too...

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.