Who Killed Rosie Larsen? (AMC Series "The Killing")

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

The chemistry between the two detectives was excellent, so as long as they get a good case I think it'll be very good.

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The fact that they didn't solve the case at the end of Season One was only PART of the problem with "The Killing." Most of the problem was that nearly every episode ended with a jaw-dropping twist or shocker that proved to be an infuriating red herring five minutes into the following episode. Linden and Holder were great, but if they don't fix the writing on this show, they'll have nothing to be "great" in.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

This is awesome. The wife and I love this show. Can't wait!

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It's a series, about a single mystery. Why were people expecting it to end? Was it announced that the mystery would be solved at the end of season 1? What would happen after it was solved?

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't think most people expected there to be only one mystery, and that when that was solved that would be the end of the series. I assumed that they would solve that case, then go on to another case, and so on. (As they are doing now with season 3, and as the original Danish series did.) It's a cop show -- there's always another case.

6. Squealy

Any murder mystery is going to have red herrings. That there were so many was a result of them dragging the story out too long.

7. nbakid2000

It's called "Who Killed Rosie Larsen?" not "Who Killed Who This Week?". I fully expect it to stretch and drag and be a series about Rosie Larsen almost exclusively.

Either way, I really like it, regardless.

8. Squealy

It's not called either. There was no definite plan to only ever focus on one case, and the show's conventional cop show setting is easily extensible to other murders.

9. nbakid2000

Well, OK, we're getting nitpicky here, but it's called "The Killing". Not "Killings" in plural. THE killing. One. To me, that focuses on a single murder story for the duration of the series.

But again, I'm in the minority who actually likes the show. I guess I had different expectations for it than everyone else did.

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I enjoyed the show as it was.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Me too. Loved it.

12. nbakid2000

Has anyone ever just examined the way this thing is shot? It is BEAUTIFUL. The way this is shot/filmed/framed etc. is better than most movies. Virtually no handheld camera work, just smooth gliding mounted visuals. No jerky cam, everything is very slow and methodical and framed and it looks like they put a TON of effort into it.

A true pleasure to watch. (and yes, I still love the storylines)

Also, the music is excellent too. Love the theme song and the main song that runs through the episodes when the action picks up (with the pounding drums) chills me every time. I freaking love this show.

jon9091 likes this.
  13. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

The Danish series, Forbrydelsen, focused on a different case each season, and I always hoped that The Killing would too. I don't have a problem with there being a loose connection between cases, maybe a meta-case that will only be solved at the end of the series, but let's see Linden and Holder work on something else for awhile. And let's follow a family other than the Larsens, pleeease.

Incidentally, I was in Seattle last August for a wedding, and it was uncommonly warm and sunny the entire time. Needless to say, the complete opposite of the constant blue-gray drizzle of the show.

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow I'm happily shocked that this show is returning. This started so strong and really lost its way before long. Happy that it has another chance to get it right. Love Enos and Kinnaman. Good Luck!

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I had really enjoyed the leisurely pace and twist and turns of the first two seasons and the frist case, but will likely enjoy this one season case as well.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  16. nbakid2000

Finished it. Thought it was wrapped up well to a degree but there were other parts like the Chief and the missing documents /case files that were completely ignored.

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

18. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I posted this in the listening on vinyl thread.

Neko Case LP spotted while watching season one on Netflix....

[​IMG]

19. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

The series was cancelled (again) =(

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I thought I'd check out the pilot to see if this show as any good and I wound up binging on the first season, and that's largely due to Mireille Enos. Probably the best actress I've seen in a long time. So brilliant at being understated. She says more with a look than most actress say with a monologue to chew on. She's wonderful. Interesting look (what? Not another spokesmodel?!) and she's one hell of a smart actress. I just started season two and I'm getting a little weary with the conspiracy angle. The show is starting to lose me. I loved it because it was small and naturalistic. All of a sudden there are guns going off everywhere and it's starting to feel like The X-files. I hope I'm wrong. My favorite aspect of the show was the slow, natural way it shows a murder investigation ( in "real tine") and how it quietly affect the lives on all sides. The involvement of the politician was a bit cliche (i have my suspect picked out in the camp, not guessing at anymore) but I learned to swallow that. But the fact that it unfolded slowly; family stories we small and poignant; and the show employed the neat device of the detectives floundering with false leads (and we the viewer went along for the ride) made it very unique and film-like. But now that it's getting "bigger" it's losing that deliciously genuine, small scale feel. I'll watch a few more episodes of season two, but if it starts getting ridiculously involved and unrealistic I'm going to bail.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just finished season 2. Amazing show. great finish. I guessed right but not the twist. Loved it. Best thing I've seen in a long time. Why a show like this get cancelled and the Walking Dead goes on and on, I'll never know.

jon9091 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.