Who Killed Rosie Larsen? (AMC Series "The Killing")

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Another excellent episode last night.

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

"But why do it?
    Challenged by Danish subtitles?
    Big hit over here."

No. It was broadcast on a minority channel (bevcause we're challenged by subtitles)and had an excellent critical reception amongst critics you'd expect to like this.

I loved it. Haven't seen the US version so I'll withold judgement. Has the US ever emade anything etter than the orginal? Not sure. I like the US Office. However, the US has made some excellent crime shows, so it's possible this will be excellent too.

And I'd recommend you watch Spiral too, if you get the chance. Sub-titles or not.

3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Had it DVR'd since the first episode, and we just watched all three back-to-back on Sunday. Great stuff so far. Being from Seattle, I was appreciative of the fact that they accurately (for the most part) referenced a lot of neighborhoods, street names, etc. It was kind of fun picking out which shots were actually done on location here, and which were clearly filmed elsewhere. (Vancouver, I presume?)

For the record, though, despite popular belief to the contrary, it doesn't rain in Seattle nearly as much as people suspect. And rarely do we get the sort of torrential downpours they seem to get on that show.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

That's something that Seattle and Denmark have in common: It is *always* overcast and raining (when movie or TV cameras are rolling). :)

5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Well, looks like we found out what was up with the globe!

Also, for anyone looking to catch up -- all four episodes are streaming free on the AMC Website too (www.amctv.com).

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Another good episode. I thought it was a little odd that they had the video on 8mm. Who uses 8mm anymore? But anyway, good episode. I suspect the teacher didn't do it (they wouldn't make it that easy, would they?) although he's probably complicit in some way...

I didn't quite get what the partner was doing with that money and the mailbox...

7. hutlock

Yeah, I guess all the artsy kids in Seattle still use 8mm... :rolleyes:

that struck me as weird too, but not to the point where it bugged me.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I think he has a soft spot for someone. Maybe he has an ex or a grandmother he helps out, or there is somebody who something bad happened to (maybe it was his fault), and he makes anonymous gifts.

Series is okay, but I'm not loving it. It's so grim, with almost nothing lighthearted. The young cop's banter with Linden is about the only thing that can elicit a smile from me. I'm sticking with it, but I liked "Rubicon" better. That was no ball of laughs either, but it was more mysterious. This series is just grim.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I liked Rubicon better, too. But Rubicon was like nothing else ever on TV. (And was polarizing for that reason).

I still think this is a very good show. This week, It thought the stuff with Rosie's parents was a little slow, except the scene where the father goes to "buy oil" and breaks down out of sight of his wife. That was really well done.

10. Rubicon meandered too much and seemed to be going in neutral, but I gave up on that series after five episodes. The Killing does have some things going for it, the production values are better than average for television and it certainly strikes a consistent tone. But I am not sure the main character, the female detective, is strong enough to base an entire show around. The mystery here is the obvious main draw, but at times the show feels like Twin Peaks without the quirkiness or elaborate plots.

11. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Does it really rain that much in Seattle?

12. hutlock

Well, bear in mind that each episode of the show represents one day of real time.

So it isn't really a big stretch to have four or five straight days with rain up there, right?

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

According to Wiki, they get on average 150 days of precipitation every year. So no, I don't think its unusual.

14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

As I stated above, yes we do get a lot of rain. But it's almost always a light, steady rain (more like a heavy mist). We very rarely get heavy, extended downpours - especially not for days on end.

15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I think the rain in this show is more representative of Portland's type of rain. When it rains here, it POURS.

In any case, I enjoy this show but man it isn't very "gripping" or even new. The fact that it's been done before is irrelevant though; I'm just glad to have something like this on TV again.

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Agreed. I like "C.S.I." and all the standard "procedurals" well enough, but it's nice to take a break from the flashy edits, Minority Report-style computers, and 10-second DNA results. I much prefer shows like this - and "Justified" - that actually take the time to develop characters and plots over a series of episodes, and where things aren't wrapped up in a nice bow at the end of the hour.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I agree.

The curious thing about Justified is that the end of each episode is frequently marked by very little...Not a cliff hanger, not a full resolution...

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Justified has done nothing for me, I've left it unwatched. But this one, this is a good series, I'm enjoying it.

19. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Really enjoying this one. Agreed on Justified - it was just blah.

20. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Didn't bode well for Rubicon which I LOVED for that reason. Cancelled.
    The cancellation of Rubicon still pisses me off. Killed when it was just getting good.
    I loved that show. Liked it better than The Killing. However, The Killing is good so far.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting episode. So now suspicion transfers to the teacher's wife...

Still trying to figure out what's going on with the cop partner and the older guy who filled him in on the background of Rosie's dad. AA sponsor? Nefarious business associate?

I didn't get, at all, the whole thing with Rosie's aunt, with that whole "maybe I'll commit suicide" vibe to it....

Trying to figure out where the politician thing is going. Clearly, the good guy can't be totally collapsing at this point. I figure his opponent must be involved in something...that will re-tip the playing field.

22. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Quick...quote your favorite line from "The Killing"

"The Killing" is o.k., but for interesting characters, memorable dialogue, and (admit it) any kind of energy or action, "Justified" has it beat. As for "Rubicon"...I sat through four long episodes waiting for a sympathetic character or any real suspense. I'm pretty sure the bad guys will turn out to be a conspiracy of evil corporate and (conservative) political interests...as they always seem to be in contemporary Hollywood product. Yawn.

23. hutlock

I like both shows a lot, but I definitely prefer Justified over The Killing. A few of the actors on The Killing just aren't doing it for me, whereas all of the actors on Justified are just pitch-perfect for their parts. That and the increased action push that one over the top.

Still, my top 2 shows at the moment for sure.

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Love Spiral here. Loved most of the euro tv they have been showing on the BBC. We need more euro TV its great. BBC/ITV drama is awful. BBC especially.

However, we didnt like the Danish Killing. Couldnt invest in 20 hours for a 20 day investigation. The police characters didnt engage with us. We gave up after 6 episodes.

Wallander rocked too.

Maybe the US version might work for us.

Justified is uber cool too.

25. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

I've been wanting to watch this since the beginning but I keep forgetting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.