Who likes "Jiminy Glick"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Who likes "Jimmy Glick"?

I don't watch it faithfully, but every time I catch it, I find it to be really funny. Martin Short doesn't (usually) stoop to the questionable easy laughs, and he often goes pretty far out when his interviews get on a tangent. The guests (especially Ice Cube the other night) often play along with the obnoxious interviews quite convincingly. Also, Michael Mckeen again proves how well he can characterize a musician. For those of us starving for SCTVish humor, this is the closest thing.

2. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

I'm a big fan of Jiminy Glick. It's the only program I tape.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Anything that guy does I like.

Remember when he was Abe Lincoln and said "What I REALLY want to be is a DANCER"?:)

4. stereoptic

Ed Grimley's hair, voice and abrupt body movements use to make me howl!!:D

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

:righton:

Ed Grimley playing the title role in a production of Oliver Twist:

"Well, that wasn't very satisfying, I must say!! I mean, these portions are a joke! I'm simply going to have to ask for more!":laugh:

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Jimmy Glick is a great creation. He can get away with questions that Letterman or Leno could never ask.

7. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

I just saw one the other night where he played Larry David....it took me awhile to realise that it was Martin. Very funny show

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My favorite bit from Martin Short was the dead-on Robin Williams impersonation he did on SCTV one time. It was brilliant. I don't rearrange my schedule around it, but if I see Jiminy Glick while flipping around on the tube, I can't switch it off. He is such a great character that really plays to Martin Short's strengths and is a bullseye lampoon of the whole concept of celebrity interviews.

Regards,

9. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I'd like to see Space Ghost interview him, or vice versa...

10. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I just noticed that DVD Talk has a review of a "Best of" DVD that's coming out this coming Tuesday with 5 episodes. The retail is $14.95, so you should be able to grab it pretty cheap.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I dunno...I find that character disturbing. In my own opinion of course.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's meant to be, in an offbeat way. Martin Short is a comic genius.

13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

The Best of SNL has a film of Martin and I believe Harry Shearer as a brother act of synchcronized swimmers preparing for the Olympic games. Martin's character is, shall we say, handicapped. This is a priceless clip, and I seem to remember Christopher Guest playing their choreographer and dance coach. I think there's a Jimmy Glick special on this weekend. Martin is a comic genius, there's no doubt about it.

14. Michael

I think his natural look is funnier.

15. :thumbsup: I remember seeing that sketch live when it aired back in around 1985. It was brilliant.

Does anyone remember Short's impersonations of Jerry Lewis on SCTV? Jerry Lewis was on Letterman back in the mid 1990s and commented that Martin Short was one of the few to nail his "laaaady".

One of the SCTV sketches that I remember most was the film parody of Jerry Lewis meets Ingmar Bergman. The film was called "Scenes From An Idiot's Marriage". :laugh: It was brilliant! Martin Short played Jerry Lewis perfectly in that sketch. I loved Short doing the typewriter miming to Leroy Anderson's "The Typewriter" in there.

Andrea Martin a la Harriet Anderson - "I'm going to see my lawyer tomorrow in Stockholm. His name is Sven Gunderbloom."
    Martin Short a la Jerry Lewis - "Sven Gunder...heimer...ien"
    Andrea Martin - "Sven Gunderbloom!"
    Short - "Sid Goymenheimerner.."
    Andrea Martin - "Sven Gunderbloom!"
    Short - "Is it Sid? Is it Sidney Goymenheimerer... :laugh:

One of the other Martin Short-Jerry Lewis parody's was the TV comercial for "Lewis Sings Dylan". Yes, Jerry Lewis sings "It Ain't Me Babe", "Subterranean Homesick Blues", "Blowing In the Wind", "Like a Rolling Stone" and others. :laugh:

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Short does a perfect impression of Jerry Lewis. "Scenes from a Idiot's Marriage" was brilliant. I also recall "Jerry Lewis Live from the Champs Elysee" and Lewis starring in "Tender Fella," a parody of Robert Duvall's "Tender Mercies." Great great stuff!

We NEED SCTV to be released on DVD!

17. Michael

I enjoyed Martin in "Captain Ron"...

18. SCTV on DVD! :agree: :thumbsup:

19. Michael

Cast another vote for SCTV on DVD! Great Show!

20. stereoptic

Robin Williams for Taing! - perfect impersonation of the hyper-frenetic Robin. How about when Robin guest starred on SCTV's "The Bowery Boys in the Band" as Slip Mahoney - hilarious!

The general public seemed to love Martin in the Father of the Bride (Steve Martin). I felt that this was one of his weakest roles, a sort of "Balky-ish" (Perfect Strangers TV show) character, but it wasn't really the type of movie for Martin to stretch out.

From the SCTV web guide: Jiminy's movie La La Wood, currently in production. (Thanks Jason Gussow)
    DVD TV Shows on DVD.com is reporting that Second City has negotiated a contract with Shout! Entertainment to produce the DVDs. They don't have any other details, however. (Thanks Scott Carlson)

ClavuisB: I'll keep my eyes open for the Primetime Glick DVD set.

There are rumors that Shout! DVD (Rhino) will be releasing DVD but not much info is available at this time

21. stereoptic

I just noticed that I misssspelled Martin Short's character in the title thread - it shoudl be Jiminy Glick!

22. Michael

I'm sure Mr Glick would forgive you!

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

So would Ed Grimley, I must say!

24. stereoptic

doomed as doomed can be!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.