Who only listens to Beatles remixes and not the original mixes and remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

I ignore the remixes and only listen to the originals.

2. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Almost Done Collecting The 87 CD's.Only 4 Left AHDN,BFS,RS+YS Songtrack + Then On To The 09 Stereo Cd's.Already Have The UK Mono + Stereo Blue Box Vinyl.

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

As a fairly casual Beatles fan, I only own the '87 Help and Rubber Soul remixes. IIn fact, up until recently I wasn't even aware that they were remixes. :hide:

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

They're a 50-50 affair, IMO. Some of the tracks from these albums sound better on the respective original mixes and some on these remixes. I do wish George Martin hadn't gone so hogwild with the reverb on Nowhere Man..likewise, while it's a cool effect elsewhere (the echo), I prefer the dry, more cutting texture of the original mix of Dizzy Miss Lizzy. I'd love an updated remix of Rubber Soul, though...those shrill vocals on You Won't see Me really need a "rounding out".

5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Steven Wilson

6. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I still don't understand the point of only remixing Help! and Rubber Soul. While the Help! remix could be seen as an improvement, why only do Help? Why didn't they do Beatles For Sale or A Hard Day's Night which were mixed similarly to the '65 stereo Help?

It's understandable why they would remix Rubber Soul, but the new mix didn't even alleviate the main problem in the original mix! There was still nothing in the center!

7. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Yep, know what you mean. It's partly nostalgia but it is also the fact that the original Sgt. Pepper mix is what was originally released (no moans about mono or stereo please) and was how the music was meant to be heard. Any other mix that follows is firstly, not the Sgt. Pepper album as intended and secondly, a pure money grabber. IMHO of course :D

8. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I might listen to 5.1 remixes, but that excepted it will continue to be the original stereo mixes for everything. Especially Please Please Me, With The Beatles, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour, and Sgt Pepper.

9. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

I don't see why there can't be room for both remixes and original versions. I have an iTunes playlist just for versions of my favourite remixes from Sgt Pepper Deluxe, Love and Rockband ect..

But at the same time nothing beats listening to a UK Mono 1st pressing ;)

Either way, I welcome new ways of listening to some of my favourite music. Regardless of new remixes, my originals will always be close by!

10. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Maybe, but I honestly believe that if you went back in time to 1967 and showed the Beatles the 2017 mix, they would have preferred it over either the mono or stereo. This is obviously up for debate, but that is what I believe and it allows me to enjoy it a lot more.

11. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

When push comes to shove I always find myself going back to the mixes as they were first released in both mono and stereo in North America as I first heard them. So yes, that even includes "I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman" with echo, hodgepodge collections like "Yesterday And Today" and "Magical Mystery Tour" with a few in re-channeled stereo (when I don't choose the mono album). I'm not saying those mixes are all superior, but I guess I'm just sentimental about them. I've always loathed the two 1987 remixes of "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" so I avoid those at all costs. I do occasionally enjoy the other remixed albums when I'm in the mood. Again, I prefer the albums as I first heard them, which would be in their original Canadian incarnations which are the same as the U.S. albums except for the first three.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't play much or particulary like Let It Be... Naked. I prefer the original LP.

I like the 1+ 2015 remixes and prefer them overall to the original stereo mixes, but not the mono ones.

13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I don't see how anyone can listen to the Rockband Remixes. They're atrocious on headphones. But I'm convinced I have some weird version that doesn't sound right or something. Anyone know where I can find the set?

bherbert likes this.
  14. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

With the WA now knocking at our door and that terrific version of "Back in the USSR" I went back to ONE+ from 2015 but it sounds a lot more like "remastering" than "remixing" like was done for Pepper last year and now the WA. Am I missing something ?

15. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

The 2015 1 was a remixed album except for the first 3 songs as they are in mono. The songs sound good but the album could use a remaster as it suffers from the loudness wars.

Nothing4Free likes this.
  16. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Usually listen to the remixes once, maybe twice more out of curiosity than anything else. Then I always go back to the original mixes.

17. Nothing4Free

ok that's what I remembered but listening with headphones I can't hear anything as "extreme" as what was done with the Pepper remixes and now the BITU remix, maybe because the hard panning was a lot "harder" on many Pepper tracks.

18. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Pepper remixes are louder than the 1 remixes. However, the dynamic compression applied on the 1 mixes is still a little too much IMO.

19. Nothing4Free

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of recreating a full stereo mix from scratch as opposed to some small tweaks here and there. The difference is huge on BITU for instance.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I think it's a lot more evident than BITU. I love the 1 album, would hate to live without it. I think the differences are most evident on tracks like Rain (not included besides on Blu Ray) and Paperback Writer where the vocals were hard panned, but I hear a lot of difference on all of them. Help! sounds a lot better and so does Yesterday.

21. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

Yup, you can have it all. My car's SD card has a stereo playlist and a mono playlist. I like both, but in general prefer mono for the earlier stuff. The stereo playlist is mostly the original mixes, except:

- 1999 Yellow Submarine mixes subbed in for almost all songs
    - 2017 Sgt. Pepper mixes for all Pepper tracks not on the YSS
    - 2015 1+ mixes for several tracks

I quite like the Love mashups too, particularly Hey Jude - the breakdown is cool. My preferred version of that song - just wish it had all the verses. Never heard the Rock band mixes.

bherbert likes this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm probably always going to prefer the mono versions, but my vinyl rip of the Pepper remix is going to be my go-to when I want something else. I can't really see any reason why I'd listen to the '67 stereo mix again, it's awkward at best and dreadful at worst. I still prefer the mono in general, but the 2017 is really nice.

I genuinely forsee this happening for any other albums they decide to do this with. I liked the Songtrack mixes and what I've heard of the 1 reissue as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.