Who owned an Intellivision console?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

My dad owned one when I was a kid. I used to love this machine back in the day. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Cloudy Mountain, Astrosmash, B-17 Bomber, Lock 'N Chase, Space Armada, Star Strike... the list goes on.

Did anyone else here own one, and if so, which games did you have?

[​IMG]

intv7, erniebert and 905 like this.
  2. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

I had one, loved it, thought it was light years ahead of the primitive Atari 2600 console. I had many of the games: Armor Battle, Astrosmash, Auto Racing, Golf, Hockey, Horse Racing, Ski, Sea Battle, Space Hawk, Night Stalker, Snafu, Utopia, Carnival, D&D Cloudy Mountain, Atlantis, Utopia, B-17 Bomber, Donkey Kong, Burger Time, Bomb Squad, Demon Attack, Lock N Chase, Sub Hunt, Tron, PacMan, Pinball, Truckin (had to look at a game listing to recall all of these).

In retrospect though, the controller had to be one of the worst ever created. The directional disc was imprecise, and the side buttons were poorly located and hard to engage with my chubby little fingers. I had the voice module but it had an issue and the text was mostly unintelligible. Eventually, my unit developed a graphics glitch that progressively worsened to the point it was unplayable. After that, I'm not sure what happened to my unit, likely sold at a garage sale.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We got one in spring 1981. Previously we'd owned some obscure brand of video game platform - I think my dad got it because it was a flop so it was cheap! Can't remember what it was - might recognize it if I saw it again, though.

Anyway, I loved our Intellivision. Can't recall all the games, though I know we had a bunch of sports games - I mainly remember skiing and baseball.

When I went to college, I eventually took the Intellivision with me. One of my roommates and I played endless games of baseball!

4. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

My friend had one. We always played a lot of Baseball too in which you could routinely throw out batters from right field

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Boy, it's been so long since I played that I barely remember the game play specifics.

I do know that I beat my friend at baseball 95% of the time. At first, it made sense that I won because the Intellivision controller required adaptation time, but even after he'd played for quite a while, he just couldn't get good at the game.

Ah, fond memories of crushing friends at videogames! :D

6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

We had one. I remember my parents calling my brother and I into the kitchen and there it was on the table.

We used to buy our games at a store called Consumers Distributing, which is long gone, where you had to fill out a form and then take it to the counter where they would go in the back and get what you wanted if they had it. There was always childhood nervousness because until they came back you didn't know if it was even in stock.

Loved Pitfall, Triple Action, can't really remember too many others off the top of my head.

cooper16 and hi_watt like this.
  7. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I had an Atari 2600, but a good friend down the street had an Intellivision. I recall playing a baseball game without the players license, so the names of the stars were altered. Grig Britt instead of George Brett comes to mind. That used to crack us up. There was also an indy racing game where instead of trying to win, we would purposely drive backwards to create massive wrecks. :unhunh:

He had Burgertime, and it was fantastic on the Intellivision. The fact that the controller had that circular directional pad worked wonders for that game. I tried the NES version years later, and while it certainly looked better, the NES d-pad stunk for that game compared to the Intellivision controller.

drasil likes this.
  8. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

My cousin Merv had an Intellivision. Thought it would be great to play Pac Man without having to spend the quarters.

I was appalled at how terrible it was compared to the actual arcade game. The controllers were abysmal.

9. 905

905 Senior Member

Burger Time was my favorite game.

cwitt1980, drasil and Standoffish like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And my house had ColecoVision! :cool:

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I picked up one a year ago, perfect condition and with two dozen games for $15. It was marked "as is" because no one knew that the output was RF and went into the antenna jack instead of the video in. The one I had as a kid is long gone, but I remember playing Burgertime on it and this unit had Burgertime and several other good games; Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Atlantis, Pitfall, Donkey Kong, and Frog Bog.

The controllers manage to be both ahead of their time and awful.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I really wanted one of those. The graphics looked amazing.

13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I had that one w Smurfs and that 3d jet game. Cool stuff at the time

14. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Loved that one!

905 likes this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I didn't have Intellivision but I did read PAPER TIGER in junior high school so that's kinda close :nyah:

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I had a ColecoVision with the 2600 adaptor but those Intellivision graphics look really nice and I'd love to have one today.

17. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

That was the last game system I ever owned. Had Intellivision finger from playing it too much.

Chris from Chicago and ralphk like this.
  18. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

We had one, but I can't remember all the games my brother and I had. A lot of sports games, for sure.

19. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Here's how it went in my neck of the woods... I had Atari 2600; then my best friend got Intellivision and made fun of me because the graphics were so much better. In the end I won the war because a couple of years later I got Colecovision! :winkgrin:

I have to admit I did love Intellivision though. The games that stick out the most in my memory are baseball, football and that card game with the dealer at the top of the screen.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The 2600 might not have had great graphics but it made up for it with the game library. :)

agaraffa likes this.
  21. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

So true! Of all the game systems I had growing up, the 2600 was by far the best. Adventure has got to be one of the best games of all time!

22. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I used to play Lock N Chase at my babysitter's house all the time back in 1981-82!! A friend of mine still has his and it works like a charm!

23. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

My Grandmother had one at her house, it was perhaps a cousins. My sister and I play it around the late 80's and to us, it was dinosaur technology then. We'd try and play Skiing and fail.

I know own one myself with a few sealed games.

24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Still have the original console I bought in 1980. Eventually accumulated about 35 games and the Intellivoice unit. All still works and I pull the console out on occasion to play a few games. It's really a nostalgia trip to reconnect with these games from the '80s... not unlike replaying old music videos you used to watch on MTV back in the day.

Here's a shot of the original box it came in. (Cat not included.)

[​IMG]

And the box bottom. Just looking at those colorful screens brings back a lot of memories if you ever had one of these.

[​IMG]

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

My cousin had the Intellivision. I had a 2600

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.